R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Thoughts on Koni FSD for R56

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Koni FSD for R56

So a couple months ago I purchased a set of Koni FSD shocks from Way Motor Works. After having them installed along with an Alta 19mm rear sway bar later, I am able to give my thoughts on performance and drivability.

The Koni FSD's - Wow, I don't think I could say enough about these shocks. Being from CT, a lot of roads around my house are pretty rough. Year after year of snow plowing has left them cracked and pitted. The stock shocks were very stiff, and would rattle me/the car unbearably over these roads. The suspension would crash and jolt, the steering wheel would pull and tug, and the interior would creak and rattle. On smooth pavement, the stock suspension was tight with little body roll. With the Koni's, I was skeptical that handling would be compromised in order to get a more comfortable ride. While I can't say definitively without test data that the the car handles better after the Koni install, it is very clear that performance has not diminished at all. Body roll is still as good as stock if not better. Ride quality, especially over the broken roads, has increased to completely acceptable levels. No more suspension crashes, steering wheel tugs, or interior rattles. The cabin of the car is so much quieter with these new shocks. By far the greatest thing these shocks have done for performance is increased my confidence driving the car. Hitting bumps mid-corner? Not an issue. Steering with one hand over chewed up roads? Easy. Going over an expansion joint on the highway at 80mph? Just a muffled "thump" with nothing substantial felt inside the cabin. I'm sure there are better setups for track use, but for a daily driver in the NorthEast I can't think of a setup that is this tolerable. Ride height has not changed from stock, the wheel gap is a little less that 3 fingers all around. If you are not trying to lower your car, but want to be able to corner faster and drive more comfortably and confidently, check out the Koni FSD's.

Alta 19mm rear sway bar- I was given this for Christmas and had it put in recently too. This is such a common mod that I won't go into detail about how good it is, but turn in is sharper and the car doesn't understeer nearly as much. I have the bar at the stiffest setting and don't find it to be out of control or hard to get used to. I have taken some fast, wet corners and have not had the rear step out. High speed cornering is greatly improved. Definitely a "must do" mod.

The combination of both of these mods have created an ideal handling/ride setup for me on the streets. While I would have loved to go lower for the looks, it just wasn't practical for me. That's my $.02.

Anybody else loving their FSD's?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by axleR56
Anybody else loving their FSD's?
+1 Did the same thing last summer. Major problem is having too much fun which leaves trying to decide what to do with leftover fun. Oh, bother.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I got the Koni Yellows and I like them but, I want to go lower so I got KW V2 on the way.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
UK1978 mini
Neutral
Thanks very much for the update 'axleR56'.

Great minds and all that...my FSDs are on the way from WMW as we speak. I too wanted better shocks than stock, but didn't want the constant firmness of the Yellow-Sports. I'm getting the 25.5mm version of your H-Sport bar, as I autocross my car occasionally. This set-up (recommended by WMW) should be a blast!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM
doctorSPC
Neutral
Beware old dudes driving new Minis. My 2013 MCS hatch has a whole 2000 miles on it. Love the car but the ride is a bit harsh for my old bones. Perusing the forum, it seems that KONI FSD is the answer to the ride issue? Did you do the install? If not then how much was the labor? My Mini dealer is quoting $600 for the install. Problem is I don't know anyone else I'd trust to touch the lovely. Also Koni is quoting ~$785 for the hardware. Is that about right?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorSPC
Beware old dudes driving new Minis. My 2013 MCS hatch has a whole 2000 miles on it. Love the car but the ride is a bit harsh for my old bones. Perusing the forum, it seems that KONI FSD is the answer to the ride issue? Did you do the install? If not then how much was the labor? My Mini dealer is quoting $600 for the install. Problem is I don't know anyone else I'd trust to touch the lovely. Also Koni is quoting ~$785 for the hardware. Is that about right?
Actually the Konis are on sale till the end of the week:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fs...5-r56-r57.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Ditto on the write up from axleR56 - I got my Koni FSD from Way last week and it is still the best price around. Had mine installed at Helix (Helix13.com) awesome job and only took 3 Hrs. standard rate for installing shock and springs at Helix.

Note, my dealer quoted me $800.00 ( approx. 6hrs.)

@doctorSPC - You will want to get switch out the RFT tires as well. Or at least get that done first.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
doctorSPC
Neutral
more Koni ???????????? etc

doz

Thanks for your input. getting rid of the Rflats may be difficult since they only have 2000 miles on them. Like I said I'm an old dude... social security etc and the cost of the fsd's alone is a bit of a stretch. If the general consensus is that one has to ditch the Rflats AND invest in the Konis, I may be in that boat without a paddle. My '013 BRG Hatch is my attempt at a second childhood/bucket list so I may have bitten off more than........

I have seen other posts that indicate the ride is markedly improved by just doing the Konis irrespective of losing the Rflats. I assumed that doing both would be a marked improvement, while doing only the Konis would be most of the way there. ?????????????

Also I noticed that the part number from WMW (2100-4099) doesn't match the p/n's recommended by Koni for my BRG hatch (front 8741-1512 & rear 8241-1252). So I'm a bit confused... but then that is my comfort zone.

Another question... I'm also confused by the "R" numbers. I guess that harkens back to the Rover days. My best guess is that my '13 MCS hatch is an R56. Is that right or ..................?

Thanks for putting up with my apparently aimless rambling. As you all can see, I'm rather new to forums etc etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
doz

Thanks for your input. getting rid of the Rflats may be difficult since they only have 2000 miles on them. Like I said I'm an old dude... social security etc and the cost of the fsd's alone is a bit of a stretch. If the general consensus is that one has to ditch the Rflats AND invest in the Konis, I may be in that boat without a paddle. My '013 BRG Hatch is my attempt at a second childhood/bucket list so I may have bitten off more than........

I have seen other posts that indicate the ride is markedly improved by just doing the Konis irrespective of losing the Rflats. I assumed that doing both would be a marked improvement, while doing only the Konis would be most of the way there. ?????????????

Also I noticed that the part number from WMW (2100-4099) doesn't match the p/n's recommended by Koni for my BRG hatch (front 8741-1512 & rear 8241-1252). So I'm a bit confused... but then that is my comfort zone.

Another question... I'm also confused by the "R" numbers. I guess that harkens back to the Rover days. My best guess is that my '13 MCS hatch is an R56. Is that right or ..................?

Thanks for putting up with my apparently aimless rambling. As you all can see, I'm rather new to forums etc etc.
No worries...

Your 13 MCS hardtop is an R56 Gen II - Give WMW a call and they can get you set up with the correct set of the Koni FSD.

Do what you feel best and within your budget...

Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM
u238
3rd Gear
What springs can these be paired with? Stock only?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The Koni FSD's must be paired with OEM stock springs only.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Chasp
1st Gear
Koni FSD

When you installed FSD's on the rear did you have to use those after market metal washers? They are used to prevent the rubber bushing from being destroyed.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
doz

We don't use any of the manufactures part numbers on our site, so I don't know what you were looking at.
These are the correct ones for your car: http://www.waymotorworks.com/koni-fs...5-r56-r57.html
Yes your 2013 hatchback MINI would be an R56.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Chasp
1st Gear
I should have said the BSH rear shock spacers instead of generic washers.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chasp
When you installed FSD's on the rear did you have to use those after market metal washers? They are used to prevent the rubber bushing from being destroyed.
I'm not sure about which washer you are referring to.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was up at Ways a couple weeks ago I bought a set of Koni Yellows and he said that for them the BSH rear shock spacers are no longer needed. The install on those is next Friday.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
I had my shock installed last week and the Koni FSD comes with the bushing now.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Chasp
1st Gear
Thanks all. That's what I wanted to know.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Chasp
I should have said the BSH rear shock spacers instead of generic washers.
No spacers needed for the Konis, they already have them on the shock.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once I'm done engine modding, these babies with be going on with NM springs!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:05 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Once I'm done engine modding, these babies with be going on with NM springs!
You can't use lowering springs with FSD's need the Yellows, and the sale on them ends March 31st so order them now.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
My mistake, I read too quickly, again lol.

But I will check it out Way, thanks!!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 AM
davidtobin
2nd Gear
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking of doing both FSDs and rear sway bar for my 09 Clubman S. What did you pay for labor for the shocks and sway bar? The guy I sometimes use wants $450 labor for the shocks, which seems high.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
PM'd

Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
David if you lived in Michigan, I'd recommend my guy who works for the Ford plant. Charges $150 plus a case of beer.

Quick Reply: R56 Thoughts on Koni FSD for R56