R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 MINI claims all Cooper S and John cooper s POP when in sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 PM
TudTud2
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI claims all Cooper S and John cooper s POP when in sport mode

I have a 2010 MINI Clubman S, Laurel edition. According to the website all S model, and John cooper works will POP on deacceleration, when is sport mode. I have not noticed this in my car.

I have heard a 2009 or 2010 John cooper works that does this. I hear it when he is shifting I think. So I know what it should sound like.

Is the poping sound every time you take your foot off the gas, or just when you are down shifting/slowing down. I know its probably a stupid question, but what do they technically mean when they say "deacceleration".

I do hear my blowoff valve realeasing air, but thats because of the turbo. I thought the poping is different. I really like the sound of my car when I have it in sport mode, but I want the poping too. it sounds soo nice when I hear the John cooper works in front of me on road trips.

I have also heard from somewhere that maybe the Clubman S doesnt have this feature. But that seems lame. Can anyone help me on this. If my car really doesnt do this from the factory, how can I make it.

Thanks

Tony

Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The pop and burble with the sport button on is for the 2011 S and JCW. The other JCWs do have some burble on the pre '11s.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
RDemo2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
The pop and burble with the sport button on is for the 2011 S and JCW. The other JCWs do have some burble on the pre '11s.
Dumb question: Is the pop/burble a good thing? Do you want that to happen?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM
datadink
1st Gear
It doesn't seem to hurt anything. My '03 did it too. On my 2011 MCS, all you got to do is let up on the gas and as it decelerates and down shifts you can hear the popping and burbling. It actually sounds pretty cool.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like it... Just to clarify, TudTud, when you are in Sport mode and let off on the gas your MINI will "burble". I don't get it when I am downshifting. Some newbies here (I'm a 3 month veteran!) think that the car is backfiring and it does sound a little like that but it's natural and planned and nothing to worry about. By the by, what's a "tudtud"?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM
minimike21
5th Gear
I get the pop/ burple sometimes when I am shifting in acceleration as well sounds pretty BA to me

Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RDemo2
Dumb question: Is the pop/burble a good thing? Do you want that to happen?
No it was put it there by mini to be music to your ears, and you want it to happen if you want to hear it.. just think of it as another feature of sport mode. and in a week or two we are gonna be loving this noise when we get our minis lol

Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM
TudTud2
1st Gear
Some of you are saying the Burble and POP are only on the 2011 models. I am sure I read this on the MINI Site in 2010 to. I have had many MINI's and I am always reading the new information on the internet, or website. I tried listening carefully again today. I have actually wondered about this on my car since I got it last April. I still dont hear anything.

I think i will have to ask the dealer why my car doesnt do it. I am going to be very mad if its just because I have a clubman S. I want to hear it when I really take off fast and change gears, or slow down. I do plan on changeing the intake, and some other things that will make my car sound better inside and outside. But Its so much better if it pops and brumbles.

Someone asked me what TudTud means. TudTud is the name of my Cat. It is Tagalog(phillipino) for "Giving Nature"

Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
This is an ECU programmed 'feature'.
It was in the 2009 JCW's.
They intentinally removed it from the 2010 year.

The cause is an intentionally released miniscule amount of fuel on deceleration... since it doesn't fire in the cylynders (no spark when no demand) - it goes through and ignites in the exhaust.

This can be programmed back in. Sounds like Mini got the message and is putting it back on the 2011s. I know Jan can add this (thought it has yet to make the priority list - as it does nothing for performance - just ear-candy). Alta may be able to put it on via their tune as well. Anyway - as far as I know - the only way to get this on at 2010 is via reprogrammed ECU (RMW tune, mayby Alta tune, or other)

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyrgtw
This is an ECU programmed 'feature'.
It was in the 2009 JCW's.
They intentinally removed it from the 2010 year.

The cause is an intentionally released miniscule amount of fuel on deceleration... since it doesn't fire in the cylynders (no spark when no demand) - it goes through and ignites in the exhaust.

This can be programmed back in. Sounds like Mini got the message and is putting it back on the 2011s. I know Jan can add this (thought it has yet to make the priority list - as it does nothing for performance - just ear-candy). Alta may be able to put it on via their tune as well. Anyway - as far as I know - the only way to get this on at 2010 is via reprogrammed ECU (RMW tune, mayby Alta tune, or other)
nice do you think your able to get it louder with the accessport? and does it waste more gas by doing this if it does is it a big noticable amount?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 PM
TudTud2
1st Gear
its very upsetting that they took this feature out for one year. I am sure if they asked MINI drivers, if they wanted it taken out, they would have all said no. Plus i know they did advertise that all the 2010 MINI S models do it, when I bought mine.

I need to go to the dealer then, and see if they can reprogram it. I dont see why they couldnt. Since its a computer thing.

oh, and yes it gets louder if you have different exhaust. I think different intake and something else makes it louder inside and ouside of car. cause i have heard a JCW with aftermarket mods, and it sounds really loud, and idles different too.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TudTud2
its very upsetting that they took this feature out for one year. I am sure if they asked MINI drivers, if they wanted it taken out, they would have all said no. Plus i know they did advertise that all the 2010 MINI S models do it, when I bought mine.

I need to go to the dealer then, and see if they can reprogram it. I dont see why they couldnt. Since its a computer thing.

oh, and yes it gets louder if you have different exhaust. I think different intake and something else makes it louder inside and ouside of car. cause i have heard a JCW with aftermarket mods, and it sounds really loud, and idles different too.
thats cuase they have a jcw exhaust

Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
I'm sure the guys at Alta could figure it out (if they haven't already) with the AP tool.

And - no - the amount of fuel required and the infrequency of the event - not going to make a noticable dent in your fuel economy....

Old 03-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyrgtw
I'm sure the guys at Alta could figure it out (if they haven't already) with the AP tool.

And - no - the amount of fuel required and the infrequency of the event - not going to make a noticable dent in your fuel economy....
thanks, during the test drive at one of the local dealership i kept going on the gas and come off over and over again during the test drive.. until the MA yelled at me. so i turned around and went back to the dealership and didnt say one word. i parked the car gave him the keys and he said "lets go talk prices" I gave a quick response of "BYE".. if he didnt ruin my fun then he would have got a sale.. even though i know it was mighty annoying for him lol .. he should have delt with it

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Torri91
3rd Gear
The BOV is actually a diverter valve. I can hear the pop-pop even when I am not in sport mode, but that might be a 2011 thing?? I'm not sure.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TudTud2
its very upsetting that they took this feature out for one year.
None of the 2nd Gen MCS's had "the burble" until 2011.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:44 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
I love the sound of the baffles popping on decelleration. It's built into the car on purpose and, as the dealer told me when I bought it, serves no real purpose other than to sound cool. I love it, as much I love the little beer can-shaped exhaust pipes.

Paula

Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
3pedalMINI
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is one of the things i miss most about my 06...My Clubman does it when in sport mode but it doesnt seem like its as frequent or as loud. Maybe when i get my exhaust it will be as pronounced as it was in my 06 (i had a magniflow on my r53)

albeit Mini took it out because of the "complaints" they received from Mini's grocery getting customers

Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
isthar
5th Gear
If somebody finds out it can be programmed using an Alta flash... Please do post back!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Those of with the Access Port have been waiting since it came out last August for them to make a map wih the B&P. Still waiting.........

Last edited by callahan00; 03-23-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by callahan00
Those of with the Access Port have been waiting since it came out last August for them to make a map wih the B&P. Still waiting.........
and theyll be waiting for awhile

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM
peeti
3rd Gear
my 2010 JCW has it - so maybe they took it out for non JCW in 2010. And sometimes it downright shoots a gun rather than burbles, but that's part of the fun. Kind of like riding my Triumph motorcycle - must a be a Brit thing =)

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tudtud2 you should be ashamed you havent posted a pic in the laurel owners registry to 300.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The pop & burble makes my neighbors so mad, but I can't get enough of it!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
The pop & burble makes my neighbors so mad, but I can't get enough of it!
do u have a jcw pipe?

Quick Reply: R56 MINI claims all Cooper S and John cooper s POP when in sport mode