R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Door lock confirmation with lights/sounds

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM
math4scher
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door lock confirmation with lights/sounds

The manual has directions for setting things up so that the Mini blinks it's hazard lights and/or makes a sound when one locks/unlocks their Mini. However, I tried for hours to no avail and my MA said he didn't think that was possible. Does anyone know if that's possible or not? Thanks!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM
postlapsaria
3rd Gear
Mine blinks and makes a sound.

Do you have the factory alarm? I do...that's the only thing I can think of.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
It's on page 20 and 21 of the manual, you can select flashers only, horn only, flasher/horn or nothing when you lock and unlock. Keep in mind you have to have the ignition on when making these settings...

Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by postlapsaria
Mine blinks and makes a sound.

Do you have the factory alarm? I do...that's the only thing I can think of.
IIRC acoustic sound is available only for Minis with the factory alarm, but not 100% on that

Originally Posted by Benibiker
It's on page 20 and 21 of the manual, you can select flashers only, horn only, flasher/horn or nothing when you lock and unlock. Keep in mind you have to have the ignition on when making these settings...
Yes, make sure you have the ignition on or you'll lose some menu items. If the car is running and you're scrolling through and can't find what you're looking for then you don't have the option.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
IIRC acoustic sound is available only for Minis with the factory alarm, but not 100% on that

Yes, make sure you have the ignition on or you'll lose some menu items. If the car is running and you're scrolling through and can't find what you're looking for then you don't have the option.
Not according to the manual and I just confirmed it on my alarm-less Mini; Kinda loud, not sure why you would want that...

Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
math4scher
2nd Gear
We did not order a factory alarm - that must be the reason we cannot get audio confirmation for the doors locking/unlocking. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
Not according to the manual and I just confirmed it on my alarm-less Mini; Kinda loud, not sure why you would want that...
Manual I have says specifically on p. 21...."Acoustic signals can be selected in vehicles with an alarm system", implying that acoustic signals cannot be selected in vehicles without an alarm system.

But then again, you have the alarmless Mini, I do not

Old 10-12-2008, 05:43 PM
corcoranwtnet
4th Gear
I have a 2009 MCSa with no alarm. I have not been able to find any setting which allows an audible signal...just flashing of the parking lights. My manual has an asterisk by the audible instruction, which I assume means it is available only as an option (meaning with the factory alarm).

I'd really like the audible signal, but for now I assume it is not possible.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Probably another one of those abrupt changes in how the cars are built...

Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Stymie
1st Gear
The actual equipment to have the audible function with lock/unlock is there but it is supposed to be disabled in the vehicle software flash if the alarm was not ordered. You can thank BMW for that crap right there.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
The audible signal is not all that. It's very high pitched and not very cool, so you're not missing out on much. It kind of sounds like a PC warning signal.

I wish it were a quick horn beep like my old Saab. That was the coolest...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 AM
zarote
2nd Gear
No factory alarm, no horn chirp. When scrolling thru the menu's on the tach, the sound option was not there.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:47 PM
mellocooper
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think i have the sound option but it does nothing. I can live without the sound but I'd really like it if subsequent lock presses flashed the lights... in case I walk away from the car and get paranoid about whether I've locked it or not.

08 MC no alarm

Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't have the alarm you don't have the audible notification just the blinking lights.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Yeah, seriously... don't go looking for it. I do have the Factory Alarm System, and it uses the same tone for the Unlock/Lock feature as it does when the Alarm goes off. It is extremely high-pitched and annoying, and not the typical quick horn-blurp you get in most vehicles.

It was activated when I picked it up from the dealer, but was easy to turn off with the Nav. Oh man, maybe it is just my young ears?

Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM
math4scher
2nd Gear
Thanks again to each of you who took the time to respond! It "sounds" like (pun intended) that even though I'd really like that feature, I should not be too disappointed by not having it - as the sound appears to be somewhat annoying. Still would have liked some kind of door locking confirmation - as I too get paranoid as to did I really lock the doors or not? Oh well - we still love "Obie", our brand new Oxygen Blue/OB Mini!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Noegel
5th Gear
Well, I too am used to audible locking noises, but upon hearing the death wail of my MINI when I first locked it, it is not missed. Just keep an ear out for the thick locking noise it makes when you press the Lock button... that and the flashes. Tinny locking noise = no good.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM
minimalistic
3rd Gear
Who needs an audible alarm? When I hit the lock button it sounds like a huge medieval deadbolt clamping down. ChaChunk!

Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
myminirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minimalistic
Who needs an audible alarm? When I hit the lock button it sounds like a huge medieval deadbolt clamping down. ChaChunk!

I LOVE that sound. So solid.

If you're not sure that you locked it (and I've been there!), just hit the unlock and then the lock. If you did lock it, you should get 2 sets of flashes. If you didn't lock it you'll only get one -- when the deadbolt clamps down! Either way, you'll get your peace of mind.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Noegel
5th Gear
Oh yeah! The locking sound is so... meaty. I love it too.

Kinda weird to love the sound of your vehicle's locks. I'll go now.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
A lot of people saying the audible beep ****s, but I will say this much...the beep is loud and can be heard through walls and windows, so it's nice to be able to lock your car from inside the house without looking.

It can also be heard from a pretty far distance in parking lots, so another plus there.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 AM
pureinstinct93
2nd Gear
2007 MCS without the factory alarm. Glad to know that I am not crazy and it is just not listed in the lock options.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
The 'chirp' from the alarm was so annoying I killed it within a week of getting Summons... While I agree it's nice to hear the system arm from inside the house, I doubt my neighbours would agree - particularly not at 5AM - a routine time for me to leave home for work... The meaty 'thunk' has to do for audibles...

On a side note, is there a way to make the car chirp in a parking lot, or set the alarm off to find the car with the remote? My old car alarm had a finder function - it was quite handy on that small-ish Integra; it's almost a requirement for Minis in our SUV crowded lots!
E

Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Jhstealth
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have any of you heard the locking noise of the e38 7series? The mini is decent but my 7 sounds like a bank vault door locking. Does anyone know if the alarm is retrofitable? I like the noise to help find it in a parking lot.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Vickered
Neutral
Originally Posted by Summons
The 'chirp' from the alarm was so annoying I killed it within a week of getting Summons... While I agree it's nice to hear the system arm from inside the house, I doubt my neighbours would agree - particularly not at 5AM - a routine time for me to leave home for work... The meaty 'thunk' has to do for audibles...

On a side note, is there a way to make the car chirp in a parking lot, or set the alarm off to find the car with the remote? My old car alarm had a finder function - it was quite handy on that small-ish Integra; it's almost a requirement for Minis in our SUV crowded lots!
E
Press and hold (for more than 2 seconds) the boot gate button on your key fob to activate panic mode. It will set off an alarm-like sound and flash the lights until you press any button on your key fob again.

Quick Reply: R56 Door lock confirmation with lights/sounds