R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Anyone receive a recall notice for the airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone receive a recall notice for the airbag?

Has anyone received a notice from MINI regarding the replacement of the detection mat sensor in the passenger seat on select Minis? Just curious as I have not received on yet(I may not get one at all).

Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
I don't think my R52 is included...(build date 3/2007) I know my R53s are not included

Motor on!

Old 05-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Go to MINIUSA.com and register in the owner's lounge. You'll need your VIN. You can watch for any updates there.
Or, you can call 1-866-ask-MINI.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Tall Mini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked on mini.com a couple days ago and it still was not showing up. I read elsewhere that the parts were not readily available to the dealers which may be slowing the rollout.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tall Mini
I checked on mini.com a couple days ago and it still was not showing up. I read elsewhere that the parts were not readily available to the dealers which may be slowing the rollout.
The owner's lounge is just a place to watch for any notifications. Drop in once in a while a see do they want to talk to you.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:17 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Go to MINIUSA.com and register in the owner's lounge. You'll need your VIN. You can watch for any updates there.
Or, you can call 1-866-ask-MINI.
I have already registered. They are only recalling 92k Coolers and was wondering if it was possible if mine wasn't picked. I did call mini and it does fit the parameters for the recall. I guess we will see. What I'm curious about is If a consumer will be able to purchase the repair part and replace ourselves if we are not selected.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tall Mini
Parts not being available would make sense for a delay.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, parts on a run like this might have been used up or delayed shortly.

1/2005+ Gen 1 MINIs.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-recall.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-11-2015, 01:50 PM
dabeamer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received the recall letter in the mail last week. I haven't yet called my local dealer (Madison WI) to see if they have the part. Interesting that the MINIO Owner site shows my vehicle is on the recall, but they say this on the web:

I've got an '06 S Cabrio.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:30 AM
tgalatis
1st Gear
Recall Warning

I received a letter last week for my 2008 R-52 Sidewalk - says the mat sensor under the passenger is defective and passenger air bag may not function

Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 AM
Bearybee
3rd Gear
Read the letter again. It says that they will contact you via letter again once the part is available and at that time, contact your local dealer. I imagine they are being flooded with calls and they have no answer other than what we already know.

Originally Posted by dabeamer
I received the recall letter in the mail last week. I haven't yet called my local dealer (Madison WI) to see if they have the part. Interesting that the MINIO Owner site shows my vehicle is on the recall, but they say this on the web:

I've got an '06 S Cabrio.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
That's the letter I got "we will contact when ...". It says how the airbag light works and that no one should sit in the passenger seat if the air bag isn't activated. Why do they say that? I've always put more faith in seat belts than airbags.

Have seat belts been made less effective (cheaper) due to having air bags?
Are the seat belts somehow tied in to the airbag system?
I just want to go back to plain ol' functional seat belts that I can count on

Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I got the same "notice"

Old 06-15-2015, 12:34 PM
MINIPartsMass
Former Vendor
We got official word today that the parts for this are still being manufactured and letters are still being sent to customers. There currently are no parts available for dealerships to complete this recall.

Originally Posted by rwkeating
That's the letter I got "we will contact when ...". It says how the airbag light works and that no one should sit in the passenger seat if the air bag isn't activated. Why do they say that? I've always put more faith in seat belts than airbags.

Have seat belts been made less effective (cheaper) due to having air bags?
Are the seat belts somehow tied in to the airbag system?
I just want to go back to plain ol' functional seat belts that I can count on
Seat belts and airbags are meant to work in conjunction with one another. The seat belt holds you in place while the airbag softens the blow. Without one or the other you have a much larger chance of injury in the event of an accident.

http://automotivesafetycouncil.org/r...asp?videoID=55

How do frontal airbags work?
When a collision occurs, the car stops very quickly. Occupants not wearing a safety belt continue to move forward at the vehicle's original speed until the car's interior -such as steering wheel, instrument panel or windshield -stops their movement. Occupants wearing safety belts are restrained when the belts distribute the energy created by the impact across an occupant's body and allow for a more gradual stop. However, in very severe crashes even belted occupants may come in contact with the car's interior. Front and side Airbags and air curtains supplement the protection of the safety belt by providing a cushion between the occupant and the vehicle interior to mitigate the force of impact and reduce the risk of injury.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 PM
stephanieusrey
1st Gear
My airbag recall letter

I received a recall on my passenger side airbag. It's a good thing, too, bc mine does NOT work. Been terrified for a while, but the replacement was too expensive. Only problem is that MINI is not "ready yet" to do the recall. Scary. Ugh.

I'm attaching a pic of my letter (front and back).Anyone receive a recall notice for the airbag?-fullsizerender.jpg

Anyone receive a recall notice for the airbag?-fullsizerender-1-.jpg

Old 06-19-2015, 12:28 PM
stephanieusrey
1st Gear
How much does the sensor cost? I feared I would have to replace something very expensive.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
It's apx $1300 CAD 2 hour job.

And to respond to an earlier post, the danger of it malfunctioning or not firing is the real deal. If a youth is in the seat, it may fire at full force. If an adult is in the seat it may not fire at all. The car was designed with the bags as a core safety device. While I haven't experienced a deployment before, the stats and experiences show the effectiveness of them.

Take a look on you tube to see the "old steel" vs modern crash test done a few years ago (I think it was a 2009 Malibu).
EDIT: here's a link

2009 driver would have sustained a knee injury. The Belair driver, killed instantly.

I like low tech solutions (seat belt), but survivability in a small car when you are outnumbered by larger vehicles like we are - I'll take the high tech any day.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Upon return from an epic 4 week, 6500 mile adventure this weekend, the letter was waiting. My co-pilot never knew she was in danger (for the past 5 or 6 years). I will miss the warm glowing ambience of the two warning lights. They've really become a pair of traveling companions.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jamez
If a youth is in the seat, it may fire at full force. If an adult is in the seat it may not fire at all.
If the passenger airbag light is on, the airbag will not fire at all, whether child or adult.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:32 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
If the passenger airbag light is on, the airbag will not fire at all, whether child or adult.
...Assuming that it is working properly.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Camaro108
1st Gear
Does the recall also include the seatbelt sensor? I'm figuring because the airbag sensor works by weight, and it doesn't know if someone is in the seat, the seatbelt sensor won't go off and tell you to buckle up. My driver side is fine, just my passenger side that is doing this.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
From what its looks like just the passenger OCC sensor pad.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 AM
kunze4u2
1st Gear
got the initial recall notice... but no official letter for my VIN or instructions to make an appointment.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Revelstoker
Neutral
Originally Posted by kunze4u2
got the initial recall notice... but no official letter for my VIN or instructions to make an appointment.
Ditto. Letter notifying of a recall but no action or next steps so far.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:49 AM
Cadenza
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I received the letter over a month ago announcing the Recall and it said to wait for the next letter before calling to schedule a service appointment.

How do they fix it anyway? Tear out the seat bottom or replace new seat bottom?

Quick Reply: R52 Anyone receive a recall notice for the airbag?