R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I know this is been hashed over: rattle in right rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:50 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I know this is been hashed over: rattle in right rear

Hi Gang,
My 05 Mini S has a rattle in the right rear. I have searched for an answer to where it might be coming from, but I still can not figure it out.
I have replaced the sway bar bushings, the sway bar attachment rods seem to be good and I can not tell about the swing arm bushing.
Have any of you found out what this could be? It is definitely coming from the right rear.
It is a pretty constant rattle, with some banging with the run flat tires on bumpy roads.
It really is the only complaint I have with this one and it is driving me nuts!
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-17-2016, 09:38 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Have you checked the latch for the rear hatch? It's adjustable where it fits into the body. However, wrap a piece of duct tape around the latch itself and see if there is any change. Worked on my '04 MCS.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:31 PM
ItsmeWayne
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Similarly, adjust the "bumpers" on the boot/trunk...by btwisting them you make them taller/shorter to adjust the trunk...
Stock exhaust? Are the hangers all connected, and the exaust hanging straight? Sometimes if it has been "one balled", aka, the resonator removed, it will hang crooked, and sometimes bang around a bit...rattleing too...
I might suggest you get a buddy to sit in the trunk, maybe seats folded down...and bounce around....
And then look for the source of the squeek....inside and outside...you might find it that way!!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:07 AM
ItsmeWayne
Thanks ZippyNH,
I will look in those areas also!

Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Had any suspension work done lately? I had lowering springs installed, and shortly thereafter developed a thump, and then an increasing rattle from the left rear (driver's side). Turns out that the strut mount was not properly tightened after the springs were installed, which caused the clamorous noise. Once it was tightened up all noises went away.

Prior to finding the source I'd checked the exhaust, camber links, rear sway bar, and hatch latch too.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 AM
ItsmeWayne
Thanks fridayXiii,
That will be my next check, if the hatch adjustment has not worked. The rattle sounds a bit more like it is coming from the right mid side and I wondered about the swing arm bushing and the possibility of it being loose.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:09 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Is it coming from the wheel area? Can you hear it when going slow? If you can have someone sit in the back seats while you drive around to help determine possibly if it's coming from the wheel or under the vehicle on the right rear, or you could drive around a parking lot slowly and have someone listen from the outside. I'd check control arm bushings too.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
No one has mentioned it could be a wheel bearing/hub... guess it's just me who thinks that way (or perhaps it doesn't sound like that).

Old 05-18-2016, 03:06 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by jamez
No one has mentioned it could be a wheel bearing/hub... guess it's just me who thinks that way (or perhaps it doesn't sound like that).
Hi jamez,
I had already purchased a rear replacement hub, but have not tried that yet, but I can here a bearing noise in the rear. The funny thing is; I bought a full set of slotted and drilled rotors, along with ceramic brakes and as I was doing them, I found the front left bearing pack was shot, so I replaced that one, but I can still hear a bearing noise, so I will replace the right rear one, as it seems a bit loose and I only have one for now.
I am going to the Mini Mania Nevada City Adventure, so I will not have time to do anything else to my 05 Mini S. I sure hope I can solve this rattle soon! I may even be able to get a few experts there to help me with the diagnosis!
The point here, is I was thinking along that line, of bearing noise also!
Itsme Wayne

Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Is it coming from the wheel area? Can you hear it when going slow? If you can have someone sit in the back seats while you drive around to help determine possibly if it's coming from the wheel or under the vehicle on the right rear, or you could drive around a parking lot slowly and have someone listen from the outside. I'd check control arm bushings too.
It is definitely coming from the right rear side. It may be the control arm bushing and in that case I will replace both of them, when I get back from the Nevada City Trip on the 21st!
Thanks for your help,
Itsme Wayne ... a new addict of Minis!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Mini Mania Nevad City Adventure

Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi jamez,
I had already purchased a rear replacement hub, but have not tried that yet, but I can here a bearing noise in the rear. The funny thing is; I bought a full set of slotted and drilled rotors, along with ceramic brakes and as I was doing them, I found the front left bearing pack was shot, so I replaced that one, but I can still hear a bearing noise, so I will replace the right rear one, as it seems a bit loose and I only have one for now.
I am going to the Mini Mania Nevada City Adventure, so I will not have time to do anything else to my 05 Mini S. I sure hope I can solve this rattle soon! I may even be able to get a few experts there to help me with the diagnosis!
The point here, is I was thinking along that line, of bearing noise also!
Itsme Wayne
Glad to hear to are coming to join us!!!!

Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I forgot to put my parking brake up and my car rolled into a snowbank. I had a lot of rattling that was the bumper pushing the exhaust and heat shield ms all around. Maybe these???

Old 05-19-2016, 07:34 PM
ItsmeWayne
Ok, Here is where I stand with this to date:

First off, I changed the rear right hub assembly, as the bearings were worn enough to need it and I already had it, so in it went.
Then I got under it and searched around while hitting a few things, to see if I could locate the rattles. At some point the fuel filter had been serviced. They had loosened the tank straps, but did not unbolt the canister on the right side. It broke the cheapo plastic bracket and the canister was loose and causing some of the rattle. The bracket on the tank was broken off, so for the mean time I installed a buffering 3/4 hose and tie strapped it to the canister to keep it from bouncing around. After I did that, the rattle was still there, but lesser. I then noticed, when they had removed the fuel tank straps, they had lost two of the four rubber washers that are mounted on the straps. I had 1/4 inch rubber washers and put them in, where the rubber ones were missing. I pounded around the bottom and found another noise coming from the swing bushing mount. There are three screws, which I could see from the wear that they were moving around. To my sad surprise, they had stripped one of the bolts and the thread in the chassis is shot. because I am going to the Nevada City Adventure, I don't have time to get it right. It will need me to remove the bracket and swing arm, so that I can see what I need to do a permanent repair later, but I tightened the two good ones and installed the third, in hopes that it will not fall out until after I get back!
The good news is I tested the Mini and the rattles are gone for now!

When I was doing the brakes and rotors, I noticed one of the calipers is cast iron, while the other three are alloy. I will try to find an original type, when I get home, or maybe even at the Adventure swap meet!

Hope to meet with you guys there!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 05-20-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:29 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Rattle, Nevada City

Glad you found the source(s). So often a problem turns out to be two or three different things. Hope you can post some Nevada City Adventure pix!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Glad you found the source(s). So often a problem turns out to be two or three different things. Hope you can post some Nevada City Adventure pix!
Hi,
I printed a pretty detailed post on the travel threads, but it told me that it had to be looked at before it would post. I have not seen it since.
I had posted several pictures and some of the goings on that I was a part of. I have many more pictures, but had hoped others would add to the thread. I just hope it shows up at some point.
Itsme Wayne

Old 05-23-2016, 11:02 PM
ItsmeWayne
Here are a few pix of the Nevada City Adventure:

Early birds!

Several folks got there early, I was one of them:

Itsme Wayne's 05 Mini S

A nice one owner mini

I really liked this one

The groups Just kept piling in:

The event was great and had many tech sessions and many friendly discussions with all the people that showed up.
You have got to go to one of these, to see the passion, so many people have with their Mini/('s).

Old 05-23-2016, 11:09 PM
ItsmeWayne
Here are a few more pix and I am sure many others will add more:

Dyno time!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 PM
ItsmeWayne
Here are a few more from the Nevada City Adventure:
The Classics:

Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Mini Mania Nevada City Adventure

Great pix, thanks so much for posting. How was the drive down there? The yellow #61 is my brother's Mini, and mine is currently being restored there.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:49 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Great pix, thanks so much for posting. How was the drive down there? The yellow #61 is my brother's Mini, and mine is currently being restored there.

Hi,
The weather was rough going there. Wind, rain and snow near Mt. Shasta. All in all, it was a nice drive down there. I was not even sure if the event was cancelled or not (due to bad weather), but to my joy it was a great time.
I left there at about 1:00 PM, as I had a commitment back at home the next day. I missed some of it, but I will be better prepared next year!
My 05 Mini S, worked great and all the repairs I did before leaving, were tested on the trip. I have effectively stopped the rattles and pounding. The new brakes and rotors worked famously, the two replaced hubs also worked well and with my fairly conservative driving, I got 30MPG average on the trip there and back to southern Oregon.
The other news: My sister in New jersey bought another 05 mini base, with a five speed. I knew she would get herself a driver, when she got back home! LOL

my 05 base model in the redwoods

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 05-24-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Awesome pics!! Glad you had some fun...that's what MINI's are about...a club of sorts. I kinda miss it.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Mini Mania Nevada City Adventure

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Awesome pics!! Glad you had some fun...that's what MINI's are about...a club of sorts. I kinda miss it.
You are exactly right, Zippy! ItsmeWayne, next year we'll have to meet up and caravan down together from Oregon! I bet my #62 Classic Mini will be up and racing by then.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:43 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm glad the trip was good but caused the noise? Bearings, muffler hangers, brake caliper, loose trailing arm?

I changed a bunch of parts looking for a rattle on my daughters 05 Mini but don't know if it ever was fixed.

Hers is a CVT car and had a rubber band start that too was caused by a previous mechanic taking a shortcut leaving out some rubber buffers in a motor mount (and cross threading a motor mount bolt).

Peter

Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by ptkacik
I'm glad the trip was good but caused the noise? Bearings, muffler hangers, brake caliper, loose trailing arm?

I changed a bunch of parts looking for a rattle on my daughters 05 Mini but don't know if it ever was fixed.

Hers is a CVT car and had a rubber band start that too was caused by a previous mechanic taking a shortcut leaving out some rubber buffers in a motor mount (and cross threading a motor mount bolt).

Peter
Ok, Here is where I stand with this to date:

First off, I changed the rear right hub assembly, as the bearings were worn enough to need it and I already had it, so in it went.
Then I got under it and searched around while hitting a few things, to see if I could locate the rattles. At some point the fuel filter had been serviced. They had loosened the tank straps, but did not unbolt the canister on the right side. It broke the cheapo plastic bracket and the canister was loose and causing some of the rattle. The bracket on the tank was broken off, so for the mean time I installed a buffering 3/4 hose and tie strapped it to the canister to keep it from bouncing around. After I did that, the rattle was still there, but lesser. I then noticed, when they had removed the fuel tank straps, they had lost two of the four rubber washers that are mounted on the straps. I had 1/4 inch rubber washers and put them in, where the rubber ones were missing. I pounded around the bottom and found another noise coming from the swing bushing mount. There are three screws, which I could see from the wear that they were moving around. To my sad surprise, they had stripped one of the bolts and the thread in the chassis is shot. because I am going to the Nevada City Adventure, I don't have time to get it right. It will need me to remove the bracket and swing arm, so that I can see what I need to do a permanent repair later, but I tightened the two good ones and installed the third, in hopes that it will not fall out until after I get back!
The good news is I tested the Mini and the rattles are gone for now!

update: The rattles are still gone and the answer is: Three things were causing all the rattles and bangs!
I have yet to deal with the stripped chassis thread, but sooner or later I will get to that!

Quick Reply: R50/53 I know this is been hashed over: rattle in right rear