R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 So then, what typically causes cold start bogging / sputtering for the R53?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 02:37 PM
silence2-38554
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So then, what typically causes cold start bogging / sputtering for the R53?

So after doing all of the routine maintenance on both of our recently acquired R53's, they both do the weird sputtering / struggling to run song & dance in the morning & at this point I'm wondering if that's just a normal quirk of the car?

So far, we have:
Changed oil to Mobil 1 0w40
Replaced air filter
Cleaned MAP sensors
Installed boost gauge, verified proper vacuum / boost levels
Ran Seafoam through air intake & fuel
Run a few bottles of Techron through fuel
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced spark plugs with OEM style NGK's
Checked / Replaced plug wires
Tested battery

It seems that whenever I search for this topic, I get a bunch of threads about 2nd gen Minis & how they need to replace their HPFP. Except..... the R53 doesn't have a HPFP, so.... yeah.

Once the cars are up & running, everything seems fine, I just want to address the issue if there is one.

Also, the issue does not seem to be temperature dependent. Then again, we are in California where the temperature doesn't vary all that much, but still...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
How did you clean the MAP/T-MAP ?
You can SOMETIMES clean ithem and not have them fail...but to clean them as regular MX makes me worry they were damaged...
But if the cars runs fine when warm...maybe not....

Old 08-13-2015, 04:59 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
Are you getting any check engine lights? Cold starting/bogging issues aren't really that common with R53's......at least I don't really see many people on there having that issue. Can you post up a video of what is going on ?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Fishbreath
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm very curious about an answer to this, too. My 2003 R53 frequently has starting issues in certain weather. If it's between about 55 and 75 degrees and the engine is cold (overnight, not just an 8-hour workday), it'll fail to start the first time I try. It runs rough at about 500rpm, then sputters out. Sometimes, if I hold the starter a little longer, it'll get up to normal idle. The next time I turn the key, it starts normally.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:34 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Check your fuel pressure....could be a fuel pump and/or fuel filter issue.

Now that I think about it, I know exactly what you are you taking about. My car has done that a few times, but the problem went away on its own and hasn't came back.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:07 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to be looking into this myself - California also... does it only sometimes though in the mornings when Im getting ready to leave for work. Ive also done most the same as you (changed oil, did plugs and wires, air filter, etc.)

I guess next would be to check what IQ said and see about the fuel pump/filter maybe?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alkaidovich
I was going to be looking into this myself - California also... does it only sometimes though in the mornings when Im getting ready to leave for work. Ive also done most the same as you (changed oil, did plugs and wires, air filter, etc.)

I guess next would be to check what IQ said and see about the fuel pump/filter maybe?

Mine actually did it for the few time a few months after I put in a new fuel filter. It would do it in the mornings before I would go to work.....it was crank for a second, fire up...bobble and shutter for a second, and then die. Turn the key again...fired right up and ran like a top. It did that for a few days in a row, and then just went away. I never got a check engine line, or had any other issues. Weird problem...especially when it just goes away on its own.

I hope you figure it out.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Alkaidovich
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Mine actually did it for the few time a few months after I put in a new fuel filter. It would do it in the mornings before I would go to work.....it was crank for a second, fire up...bobble and shutter for a second, and then die. Turn the key again...fired right up and ran like a top. It did that for a few days in a row, and then just went away. I never got a check engine line, or had any other issues. Weird problem...especially when it just goes away on its own.

I hope you figure it out.
Ya mine has never stalled/died out on me... it'll start to stutter or hesitate after about 20 seconds or so into warm up off a cold start.

I did a search and saw a thread back from '10 here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...art-fixed.html

Though the problem was never solved and thread just died out... Im curious as to what the problem is or if its just a normal thing?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 AM
silence2-38554
3rd Gear
Alright, so today after work, I went out & started my car, only to have the DSC light come on, the SES light blink & finally turn solid & the idle was just awful for about 10-15 seconds, then it chilled out & ran fine, albeit with the SES light on. I scanned it & found it to be a P0302, Cylinder 2 Misfire.

Reading through some older threads here on NAM, it sounds like it may be:

-bunk exhaust valve
-bad electrical connection to fuel injector
-bad fuel injector
-bad spark plug connection
-bad coil pack

So then, since I recently replaced my plugs & wires, I think the first thing to check would be my compression. If I have time this weekend, I'll do a dry compression test & check the condition of my plugs as well.

I should add to the symptoms that my car smells of either unburnt fuel or very rich exhaust for the first few seconds after it fires up, if that's helpful at all....

Old 08-14-2015, 01:28 AM
Anakist
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine used to do it. Resetting the ecu would fix it, then it would come back after a while. We are going through winter now and it hasn't done it in ages. No idea what caused it and no idea what fixed it!

James

Old 08-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Bryan.vfr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a R56, so it may not apply. But I had a similar problem. Does the fan stay on for a while after shutting the car off, more than usual? If so, it could be the engine temperature sensor thinking the car is hot and giving it the wrong fuel/air mixture.

Just a thought.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by silence2-38554
Alright, so today after work, I went out & started my car, only to have the DSC light come on, the SES light blink & finally turn solid & the idle was just awful for about 10-15 seconds, then it chilled out & ran fine, albeit with the SES light on. I scanned it & found it to be a P0302, Cylinder 2 Misfire.

Reading through some older threads here on NAM, it sounds like it may be:

-bunk exhaust valve
-bad electrical connection to fuel injector
-bad fuel injector
-bad spark plug connection
-bad coil pack

So then, since I recently replaced my plugs & wires, I think the first thing to check would be my compression. If I have time this weekend, I'll do a dry compression test & check the condition of my plugs as well.

I should add to the symptoms that my car smells of either unburnt fuel or very rich exhaust for the first few seconds after it fires up, if that's helpful at all....
Engine-Codes here seems to list some good information about your symptoms. See if it may be helpful when you check things out. This thread here on NAM seems to be pretty similar to your issue. (Not sure if this is one of the older threads you ran across). No update on what the issue was, but maybe post in it and the OP will respond. Let us know what you find!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
My two thoughts are, I wonder if there's something in the ECU that could use an update, and is it the stock ignition? If so, how does the 3rd cylinder post look?

My car does a similar thing sometimes but I've been thinking it's the battery which I'm assuming yours checked out just fine. You might try leaving it on the charger overnight and seeing if it sputters in the morning, perhaps the battery is still good enough to check out ok, but just weak enough to not crank it hard enough.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 PM
ti22fjc
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend had something similar. Turned out to be missing fuel injector O-rings.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:51 AM
shipjumper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 06 checkmate does the same thing at random. This morning it was fine. Yesterday, its sputtered and stumbled. I just did plugs and checked the posts on the coil. Sometimes it does it after work too, but always starts.

I am really looking for a solution too... it seems electrical, as it sounds like it cranks hard (p-chew p-chew, puff puff, VROOOM) with not enough amperage behind it. My battery puts out 14.4 all day long and tests above 12v sitting.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:20 PM
silence2-38554
3rd Gear
Alrighty, I think I may have solved the issue, at least, on my car. After it threw a couple Cylinder 2 misfire codes, I started researching potential causes, which prompted me to take a closer look at my ignition coil terminals. I recently installed Ireland Engineering spark plug wires & admittedly skipped the use of any new silicone grease. So then, I went out, pulled the wires off the coil, cleaned them with brake cleaner on a paper towel & proceed to lightly sand them with 320 grit sandpaper. They all came out looking pretty much the same as when I started EXCEPT cylinder 2's post left a thin layer of white residue on the sandpaper (calcium deposit?). The post itself was also slightly pitted when looking very, very closely after sanding. So then, I lightly greased the coil posts & inside of all the boots & it's been firing up strong & running smoother / more responsively ever since! This thread has certainly made me wonder about my compression readings & I will check that out next, but for now all seems to be good!

Old 08-19-2015, 05:15 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fishbreath
I'm very curious about an answer to this, too. My 2003 R53 frequently has starting issues in certain weather. If it's between about 55 and 75 degrees and the engine is cold (overnight, not just an 8-hour workday), it'll fail to start the first time I try. It runs rough at about 500rpm, then sputters out. Sometimes, if I hold the starter a little longer, it'll get up to normal idle. The next time I turn the key, it starts normally.
Same exact thing happens to me. Doesnt do it every day, but describes my issue perfectly.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Same issue with mine today and I cleaned the fuel filter in the past few months and it seemed to happen more since then.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Mine only does it in the summer for whatever reason

Could be why yours is doing it more now too

Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Mine only does it in the summer for whatever reason

Could be why yours is doing it more now too
I just read a post from 2006-present stating that the summer gas mixture from most gas companies will effect the injectors and cause this issue. Or it could be the heat too. I dont know. Also wondering if its time for JCW injectors

Old 08-25-2015, 04:54 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Well....after an entire summer of not doing, it did it again for the first time this morning. I'm guessing it has something to do with the outside temperature....since the morning temps have just dipped down into the mid 50's here.

I hop in the car, turn the key, it will crank a few times like normal, then fire up but sound like it's only running on 2-3 cylinders......it does this for about 3 seconds, and then dies. The tach never gets over 500rpm or so.

I try it again....fires right up like a champ, run fine.

It did this a few times to me last year also....I hope this issues isn't coming back.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
Well....after an entire summer of not doing, it did it again for the first time this morning. I'm guessing it has something to do with the outside temperature....since the morning temps have just dipped down into the mid 50's here.

I hop in the car, turn the key, it will crank a few times like normal, then fire up but sound like it's only running on 2-3 cylinders......it does this for about 3 seconds, and then dies. The tach never gets over 500rpm or so.

I try it again....fires right up like a champ, run fine.

It did this a few times to me last year also....I hope this issues isn't coming back.
After hours and hours of reading and this seeing this issue pop up more and more this past week I am almost fully convinced that it is the summer gas mixture being changed composition from the winter and the MINI getting adjusted to it. After the other morning mine seemed to be fine as well with no issues since..

Old 09-03-2015, 01:42 PM
shipjumper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is still coming and going. I am beginning to think either a weak / old battery. I just did my pre-cat O2 sensor under warranty, I dont know if it helped but it seems to be starting normal, they just have nothing to do with each other...

ARGH!

Old 09-03-2015, 03:16 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Mine did it that one morning but hasn't done it since.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Mine did it again the other morning and set off the check engine and ESC light as well. I got it started. Was driving to the airport and the light came on again. What gives...

Quick Reply: R50/53 So then, what typically causes cold start bogging / sputtering for the R53?