R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Silicone Intake Hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silicone Intake Hose

So as I was waiting to hear back from you guys in regards to the rear wiper I decided I would go ahead and tackle the Venair intake hose I bought for my DDM intake.

Turns out that is an impossible install and does not fit. So not only does the stock intake tube not fit the DDM intake inlet, but now the silicone hose I purchased to alleviate the problem does not fit either. It fits neither the inlet on the intake, nor does it fit from the throttle body to the intake.

I am quite disappointed with this and I have contacted Out Motoring to see what can be done. I liked the blue hose, and I will be pretty disappointed if I have to switch over to a black one from DDM themselves. Not to mention the extra money I am going to have to spend as I was already disappointed with the DDM intake/Uni filter that I already purchased. Quality just doesn't seem up to snuff as the filter kept wanting to slip off as I was tightening down the clamp.

Any advice here is appreciated as well guys. My car is inoperable right now which is really disappointing considering I just bought my new wheels and tires so I could enjoy the hot summer days sticking to the road!

Old 06-19-2015, 02:01 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Send us a link to the one you bought. look at the invoice to see the actual part number. And let us know what car you have.
Sounds like you may have the wrong part.
Compare the parts and post photos if you can.

Outmotoring is a very good vendor and should be able to help out if you call them.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:07 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...take_hose.html

That is what I bought.

I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S. I did put the Venair hose up to the stock one and they look almost the same, but it seems as though the Venair may be a tad longer. Are those supposed to be trimmed to fit? I never would have purchased if I knew it had to be trimmed.

I already emailed Out Motoring, granted I was a bit disappointed as nothing I purchased came with any type of instructions. I got a rear wiper delete (posted about that just because I don't want to break something and I am not sure how the wiper arm comes off. Don't want to just pull until something gives.), and also a JCW style front grill.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:18 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
We have the forge ones here, no issues.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/FMR53IND/

These are for the R53 and R52 Cooper S and for Manual transmissions.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2015, 02:21 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Would I have issues with them going over the inlet of the DDM intake? Those look exactly like the Venair one that I just spent $90 on. I don't want this to be a game of trial and error where I spend almost $300 looking for something that will fit. For that I should just buy a different intake that comes with a solid pipe from the intake to the throttle body.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:29 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Dont know about the flange on the DDM. I was thinking maybe a bad silicone wrap job and thats maybe why it did not work. Check the DDM intake installs and see what they chose. All I can think is an error on the DDM intake or error on the other silicone.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-19-2015, 02:37 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
At the very end of the instructions on the DDM intake it says to heat the stock hose with a hair dryer. I did all that first and still had no luck before I ordered the Venair hose. My patience level is very low in regards to things like this when info should be provided or readily available and it is not. It also irritates me when more money needs to spent that shouldn't have necessarily been spent in the first place.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:44 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
So the flange is just a little bit bigger, and have to heat the silicone. Makes sense. All I can say it try to get it real hot and slip it on.

Sorry I wish I could help you more.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:48 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
The fact that you are actually trying, and not giving me some smart *** link that walks me thru Googling it, is appreciated.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Most of the silicone hoses are trim to fit...
The old alta intake hoses needed lots of trimming, or they would slip off...

Old 06-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as the filter slipping off, try wiping the two surfaces that mate up with rubbing alcohol. That will aleviate any oil or grease left behind from your hands. It stopped mine from slipping out when tightening down the clamps.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:34 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
I'll try that. However I wear gloves when I work on the car.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
I had the Venair intake tube and the DDM box, it does not fit. The silicone hose is too small and I've tried hot water as well as brute force. It would require trimming, so I gave up and used it to make a cheap ghetto warm air intake on my winter beater. The stock tube is cracking on the edge and I'll have to replace it someday.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:43 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Well f&!@ me running. What a waste of $90. I'd sure hope Out Motoring, and DDM for that matter, would add that to their sites/product info.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:49 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning

If you guys can guarantee that this hose will fit the DDM intake without modification then I will go ahead and order one.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:49 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a veinair on my intake, it will need some trimming and it was a total ***** to fit but it will go on. Mine was used so it had already been fit once and it was still a paint to get on.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
I'd like to try to figure this out w/o having to trim the hose. If there is a better solution I'd like to just return the Venair hose, and I'm assuming they aren't going to allow me to return it if I cut it up.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:22 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
This may sound like an odd questions, but what about stuffing a tennis ball into the end to try and open it up? Curious if something like that would work. I ma try it and answer my own question by cramming one in and leaving it over night. Unless someone has done something similar and can chime in.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
Quick Update: I tried the tennis ball trick. The ball didn't get it very wide so I switched to a glass that I have that flares out. I put the hose and the glass in the sink of hot water, and I am attempting to gradually slip the glass further and further in to expand the hole.

Once I get it wide enough I will go out and see if I can fit it on. From there, I will trim what needs to be trimmed and start the process over again.

Crossing my fingers because once I trim this thing I am sure I am screwed.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 AM
shastamedic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning

Does anyone make this in red for my R-53 with an automatic transmission?

Old 06-21-2015, 03:42 PM
JaysinStrife
3rd Gear
The glass trick didn't work so I'm now just waiting for a reply from Out Motoring in regards to this hose. I'm not going to trim the thing if it won't even fit on the inlet. It had been being stretched for almost 12 hours.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:23 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
The glass trick didn't work so I'm now just waiting for a reply from Out Motoring in regards to this hose. I'm not going to trim the thing if it won't even fit on the inlet. It had been being stretched for almost 12 hours.
did you try lubing it up?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:48 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by shastamedic
Does anyone make this in red for my R-53 with an automatic transmission?

Juts the three color for the manuals , no automatic option at this time.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by JaysinStrife
If you guys can guarantee that this hose will fit the DDM intake without modification then I will go ahead and order one.
Cant guarantee on the DDM box, but I know it fit everything stock. Sound like the DDM does not fit anything well ?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:02 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a venair tube, I love it. it was very snug on the alta intake box. I also had to trim nearly 2 inches off both sides for it to be a proper fitment. hope that helps. I wasn't planning on modding it, but just use a sharp razor and it cuts like butter.

trim some, check, trim again. that's what I did, cause I didn't wanna waste the cash on it haha

Quick Reply: R50/53 Silicone Intake Hose