R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dealer quoted me a ARM and a LEG today!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer quoted me a ARM and a LEG today!!

I have a 2006 r53 with 126k on it as my DD. As I got together my list of suspension parts, bushings, and a few extras I wanted to install/fix at the same time I called the MINI dealer here in Kansas and was quoted a whopping $2000+tax just to install the parts that I SUPPLY! The parts I was going to supply and have installed were Koni FSDs a keep the stock springs. Ireland Engineering camber plates, all new bushing all around, upper and lower front ball joints, swat bar bushings, and rear sway bar. I am shocked and at a loss for words as to what to do. I am fine with doing some work in the garage but dont have the tools, experience, or space to drop subframe and install all this on my own. Someone help and advise me as to if this is a proper price for the job?

Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Today was a bad day for me I called the MINI dealer to get a price quote on my suspension install and I was quoted at 2000+tax. Looks like I am going to have to do ALOT of saving...

Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Find an indy shop. Dealers often won't do aftermarket parts, especially customer supplied as they bring a set of potential issues. They don't make a mark up on them and if for example they install your Konis and then they don't work right they have to cover that and they haven't made enough money to cover it.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Dealers usually charge $200+ an hour, Indy shops closer to $90.....
And the dealer likely added $$ to cover the lost $$ since you brought the parts....
Bringing a 10 year old car to a dealer is knda like going into a prison shower without soap on a rope...or so I have heard!!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Dealers usually charge $200+ an hour, Indy shops closer to $90..... And the dealer likely added $$ to cover the lost $$ since you brought the parts.... Bringing a 10 year old car to a dealer is knda like going into a prison shower without soap on a rope...or so I have heard!!
ouch my dealer charges $95 an hour, Indus are about $75

Old 04-01-2015, 05:16 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
One more tip...
Most dealers have the LEAST experienced mechanics...they have been trained on one make, usually just out of school....
Guys who have moved on to Indy shops tend to have a broader knowledge base....and sometimes know how to fix something, rather than just replace it....

Old 04-01-2015, 05:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
ouch my dealer charges $95 an hour, Indus are about $75
Lucky...
Yeah...dealer in the Boston area are $$$$...but high cost of living area...$175 might be a more correct estimate, but they add a % for "disposal" and shop supplies... And since they charge full book...it is a double whammy...
My "local" Indy mini guy is about $88, and has lower markups on oem parts DELIVERED by the same dealer....

Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
If you are near Wichita, call Maurice at http://www.bavarianautomotive.com/. I have been taking our R53 there since the service program expired. His honesty and pricing is the best. I trust no one else to service our MINI. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Well, premium coilovers can cost $2K just for the parts, but I thought you were
looking at FSDs and a rear bar. How much of this is labour? I bet you can do
a lot better by looking at an independent shop. The rear is quite possible to do
yourself, I just did it at curbside. The front is a bit more of a pain (I had a shop
do it), but is also doable.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cristo
Well, premium coilovers can cost $2K just for the parts, but I thought you were looking at FSDs and a rear bar. How much of this is labour? I bet you can do a lot better by looking at an independent shop. The rear is quite possible to do yourself, I just did it at curbside. The front is a bit more of a pain (I had a shop do it), but is also doable.
That was just labor cost, I was supplying all of the parts at my cost. Fsds, rear sway, camber plates, all bushings, and upper and lower ball joints. Would it be possible to install the rear stuff and then drive 2 hours to a shop? And have them do the front?

Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
If you are near Wichita, call Maurice at http://www.bavarianautomotive.com/. I have been taking our R53 there since the service program expired. His honesty and pricing is the best. I trust no one else to service our MINI. Good luck.
I am in the Manhattan area but this is a possibility as I will be driving 2+ hours to the mini dealer or Kansas City area. I will contact him tmrw, have you had anything big done there?

Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Absolutely, you can install the rear stuff and then drive. You aren't really changing the alignment in the rear. But damn, that a lot of labor hours... I can do the shocks and rear bar in about 2.5 hrs. And that taking my time.

Isn't there a closer Indy mechanic? I mean, there isn't anything special going on with a mini.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Absolutely, you can install the rear stuff and then drive. You aren't really changing the alignment in the rear. But damn, that a lot of labor hours... I can do the shocks and rear bar in about 2.5 hrs. And that taking my time. Isn't there a closer Indy mechanic? I mean, there isn't anything special going on with a mini.
Oh well that's a big possibility then. And yeah I thought so too he quoted me at 16 hours. It doesn't take that long

Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Steffen.Johnson
Oh well that's a big possibility then. And yeah I thought so too he quoted me at 16 hours. It doesn't take that long
After that quote I wouldn't give them any business.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
After that quote I wouldn't give them any business.
Yeah it honestly pissed me off. It's the only mini dealer in the whole state of Kansas that's the problem I think.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I really think it's damn mercenary the way dealers stack on the hours for fairly
straightforward jobs - and the hourly rates themselves are steep.

Here's a few how tos to give you a feel for what's involved: rear shocks, rear bar, front struts
It also lets you scope out what sockets you may need to have on hand that you might
not already have. If you have the Koni FSD shocks already, you can check out what
size tools you need to put together to tighten the top nut while holding the shaft still.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

http://www.newminiclub.dk/e107_files...ut_install.pdf

Look over the links - even if you don't do any of the work yourself, it's always a good idea to know what's involved
when someone else is doing it - otherwise you can fall victim to all sorts of bullcrap.

Last edited by cristo; 04-01-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Oh that is offensive... I have it down to 45-50min for the front corner rubber mounts. And they have the shop, tools and education.

Borderline robbery.

With anything, do enough research to see what you are getting into. Learn it inside and out... Then when you tackle it, you have a good handle on what you are doing and there are no surprises.

It really is not that bad...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...blk-r53-2.html
Start with Post #39...

Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
I am in the Manhattan area but this is a possibility as I will be driving 2+ hours to the mini dealer or Kansas City area. I will contact him tmrw, have you had anything big done there?
I'm not that surprised at the repair quote - I think many people were paying about $800-$1,000 for the LCAs alone. Which of course requires lowering the subframe. The rest of the stuff you want isn't that complex - the tools needed are pretty limited...and you can borrow the spring compressor from an autozone. Don't expect that you are going toget all that work for $450 - even helix lists the LCAs at $350 I think on their website. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:50 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
All my service there has been routine. But if any serious work had to be done, I would only take it to Maurice. One R53 owner told me he had to have a top end overhaul on his engine and was pleased with the quality of repair and price. Many of the MINI owners I know in our club use Bavarian Auto exclusively. It would be worth the inquiry.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 04-02-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
All my service there has been routine. But if any seriuous work had to be done, I would only take it to Maurice. One R53 owner told me he had to have a top end overhaul on his engine and was please with the quality and price. Many of the MINI owners I know in the our club use Bavarian Auto exclusively. It would be worth the inquiry.
Thanks a bunch! What is your clubs name?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
It's not really their fault. I'm sure they just look up the job in the flat rate book and add all the jobs together.

Look up replace shocks. the job includes drive the car in, get on lift, remove tires...

Look up replace ball joint, Includes drive car in, get on lift take off wheels.

Rear anti roll bar, yep, drive car in, get on lift, remove tire. Tons of duplication, and they absolutely don't give that a thought.

Now if you could actually convince them to do the job on straight time and materials, even at their shop rate, it might not be so bad. And they do have to pay for that fancy dealership. They sure don't do it on sales from cars. The service department almost always carries the profit load.
Yeah it makes sense somewhat from the shops point of view. It just is crazy cause the car was bought from the in 2006, serviced there always, and we have been loyal but with this price they are making it hard.

I agree with ECS that interior is pretty damn clean!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:33 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Thanks a bunch! What is your clubs name?
There are two: Twisted MINIs of Kansas and Wichita Area MINI Owners (WAMO). Both are on FB.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Steffen.Johnson
6th Gear
There are two: Twisted MINIs of Kansas and Wichita Area MINI Owners (WAMO). Both are on FB.
Thanks requested them both just now. Thank you again!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Thanks requested them both just now. Thank you again!
You're welcome. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The MINI Clubs are a great place to find shops or people who can help you with installs and mods.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: R50/53 Dealer quoted me a ARM and a LEG today!!