Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Mini has done it again! GRRR Window issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini has done it again! GRRR Window issues.

03 r53

drivers window it stuck in the full upright position. does not move when door is opened or closed.

ive been reading posts with such being off track and just stuck. and some about grease in the motor itself.

im going to tare into it and try to figure it out :(

any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:30 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes Give it a good whack just above the speaker ( fonzy method) while holding down on the window switch and see if starts working again,this is where the motor is located, some people were able to get the motor working again by opening the motor and cleaning the brushes I don't know how to do that so I just changed the whole thing, motor and regulator . Since you window is up and if you decide to do the job you'll have to take out the regulator too, you have to try and lower that window about half way otherwise you'll have to cut the regulator cables and that means that you'll have to buy a new one, if you can not lower the window it will be a pain to loosen the pegs that hold the window to the frame and regulator, you will need a special tool Outmotoring has it for less than 30.00. You'll need to take the chrome trim off to reach the pegs, that's if the window is all the way up

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

Last edited by minibx; 06-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
tonkyman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done several of the Mini window regulators and posted a page with pictures and instructions for replacing it. If you replace the window regulator don't buy the cheap ones. I replaced the same window regulator three times because of cheap parts.... spend a little more money and get a good one.

I hope these instructions help http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/miniwindow.html

Good luck,
Tony T

Old 06-12-2014, 01:10 PM
tonkyman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
Since you window is up and if you decide to do the job you'll have to take out the regulator too, you have to try and lower that window about half way otherwise you'll have to cut the regulator cables and that means that you'll have to buy a new one, if you can not lower the window it will be a pain to loosen the pegs that hold the window to the frame and regulator, you will need a special tool Outmotoring has it for less than 30.00. You'll need to take the chrome trim off to reach the pegs, that's if the window is all the way up
Sometimes you can remove the outside window trim with the window up and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the "cog like" retainers for the window. Place the flat part of the blade on the cog and bump it with your hand a few times counter clockwise. I was able to loosen mine with the window up using this technique. I then just used the screwdriver to spin the retainer out so I could remove the window.

Good luck,
Tony T

Attached Thumbnails Mini has done it again! GRRR Window issues.-100_2977.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tonkyman
Sometimes you can remove the outside window trim with the window up and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the "cog like" retainers for the window. Place the flat part of the blade on the cog and bump it with your hand a few times counter clockwise. I was able to loosen mine with the window up using this technique. I then just used the screwdriver to spin the retainer out so I could remove the window. Good luck, Tony T
That's what I did, took off the trim but I had the tool so it was easier, I did cut the regulator since I had a new one anyways

Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
tonkyman
1st Gear
That's what I did, took off the trim but I had the tool so it was easier, I did cut the regulator since I had a new one anyways
I have got to get me one of those tools.... it has to be easier than the 5mm Allen wrench or screwdriver.

I'm with you... the regulator is relatively cheap so I don't think I would ever change just the motor.

Tony T

Old 06-12-2014, 02:22 PM
minibx
5th Gear
I have got to get me one of those tools.... it has to be easier than the 5mm Allen wrench or screwdriver. I'm with you... the regulator is relatively cheap so I don't think I would ever change just the motor. Tony T
Yeah the tool paid for itself because you can also use it on an R56 as well as the R53 50 etc.. Much much easier. I just saw your guide , great job you even showed those white clips holding the cables, great work, the tool was about 26 bucks from Outmotoring is worth it.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:30 PM
tonkyman
1st Gear
Yeah the tool paid for itself because you can also use it on an R56 as well as the R53 50 etc.. Much much easier. I just saw your guide , great job you even showed those white clips holding the cables, great work, the tool was about 26 bucks from Outmotoring is worth it.
Thanks Minibx. I used Clarke Spicer's guide to repair my first window regulator but he didn't have any pictures. When I did my second regulator I took lots of pictures and ask Clarke if I could use his text for my little "pictorial". He was gracious enough to allow me to use is great how-to text. Back then Pelican didn't have a tutorial on the window regulator so I posted one on one of my web servers. I love these little cars and enjoy helping people do-it-themselves. For a lot of us we couldn't afford these cars if we couldn't fix it ourselves.

Tony T

Old 06-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
thanks for the tips guys.

still have not had a chance to get into it. but had to go through the drive through with the door open this morning that was a little odd.

3 months time this car has costed me a ton!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Yes Give it a good whack just above the speaker ( fonzy method) while holding down on the window switch and see if starts working again,this is where the motor is located, some people were able to get the motor working again by opening the motor and cleaning the brushes I don't know how to do that so I just changed the whole thing, motor and regulator . Since you window is up and if you decide to do the job you'll have to take out the regulator too, you have to try and lower that window about half way otherwise you'll have to cut the regulator cables and that means that you'll have to buy a new one, if you can not lower the window it will be a pain to loosen the pegs that hold the window to the frame and regulator, you will need a special tool Outmotoring has it for less than 30.00. You'll need to take the chrome trim off to reach the pegs, that's if the window is all the way up

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
thats an awesome write up!!!! THANKS.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
I have done several of the Mini window regulators and posted a page with pictures and instructions for replacing it. If you replace the window regulator don't buy the cheap ones. I replaced the same window regulator three times because of cheap parts.... spend a little more money and get a good one.

I hope these instructions help http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/miniwindow.html

Good luck,
Tony T
amazing also. This site is awesome!

Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Best place to buy new?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jones424
Best place to buy new?
I ordered mine from ECSTuning.com, as advised above make sure that you order the correct side.... Do yourself a favor and get this tool, chances are you'll need it again http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...or_wrench.html

Here is motor for you year

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2003-C...ndow/ES184405/

Regulator front left

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2003-C...indow/ES94200/

Old 06-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Jones424
2nd Gear
I ordered mine from ECSTuning.com, as advised above make sure that you order the correct side.... Do yourself a favor and get this tool, chances are you'll need it again http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...or_wrench.html

Here is motor for you year

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2003-C...ndow/ES184405/

Regulator front left

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2003-C...indow/ES94200/
Guys!!!! I punched it the other day and nothing. But today. I punched the crap out of it holding the window switch up and heard a bigger click then kept moving the switch and it worked!!!

I'm now still worried and know I'll have to replace at some point.

But a quick thought. The tool looks really similar to my ar barrel wrench. Any thoughts there?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM
minibx
5th Gear
I'm glad it worked, some people had luck and it lasted for a while months even years and to some ( me ) only lasted for a few wacks weeks before it stopped working for good.

There are other tools that look similar, but I'm sure that they are not the same but who knows :-)

Old 06-13-2014, 08:41 PM
tonkyman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jones424
thanks for the tips guys.

still have not had a chance to get into it. but had to go through the drive through with the door open this morning that was a little odd.

3 months time this car has costed me a ton!
Hang in there! Mini's are not that hard to work on and once you get all the little things fixed you'll know what you have. They are a blast to drive and get looks everywhere you go.

I'm not an expert by any means but I've work on a few :-) . It seems people like to dump their Mini when they've let a lot of little stuff pile up. Work through all that and you'll love your car.

I'm kind of new here but it's nice to have a place to get help when you need it.

Tony T

Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Jones424
2nd Gear
Hang in there! Mini's are not that hard to work on and once you get all the little things fixed you'll know what you have. They are a blast to drive and get looks everywhere you go.

I'm not an expert by any means but I've work on a few :-) . It seems people like to dump their Mini when they've let a lot of little stuff pile up. Work through all that and you'll love your car.

I'm kind of new here but it's nice to have a place to get help when you need it.

Tony T
I understand that and I do enjoy working and messing with my cars.

but ive only had it 3 months now not even 2K miles on it and have had tons of stuff quick. but yes after i get through most of it all should be good.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:02 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
My motor is dead. The Fonzi trick worked for a little bit but no longer. I have a motor and am trying to replace it. My window is in the fully up position.

I have the white sprockets loose. However the Bentley says you have to lower the window to remove the white sprockets. How do you lower the window when the motor is dead??? I can't seem to get the sprockets to clear the door panel with the window in the fully up position.

I don't have another regulator handy, only a motor, so I can't cut the cable.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:08 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WhoHasGotTheBlueS
My motor is dead. The Fonzi trick worked for a little bit but no longer. I have a motor and am trying to replace it. My window is in the fully up position. I have the white sprockets loose. However the Bentley says you have to lower the window to remove the white sprockets. How do you lower the window when the motor is dead??? I can't seem to get the sprockets to clear the door panel with the window in the fully up position. I don't have another regulator handy, only a motor, so I can't cut the cable.
Unfortunately as far as I know you will need a new regulator. There is no other way to lower the window if it is the up position, same thing happened with my window and I had to cut the regulator wires to lower mine. There may be a way of doing this but I had a new regulator with the motor so it was a no brainer. Good luck when taking the motor out note the position that the motor goes in because if it is backwards it will work the same accordingly.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:11 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Unfortunately as far as I know you will need a new regulator. There is no other way to lower the window if it is the up position, same thing happened with my window and I had to cut the regulator wires to lower mine. There may be a way of doing this but I had a new regulator with the motor so it was a no brainer. Good luck when taking the motor out note the position that the motor goes in because if it is backwards it will work the same accordingly.
Oh, I hope someone else can provide a different, second opinion!

I have read the stuff about noting the position of the motor. Isn't the padding on the motor a tell-tale sign of which way it goes--padding toward the inner door surface that the motor rests against? It seems like that logic should make it straightforward...

Last edited by WhoHasGotTheBlueS; 09-27-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typos, as always
Old 09-27-2014, 03:31 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Ok. I am able to get the window down. The key was to remove the four T25 screws that hold the armature into the motor assembly. It was sticky but now I have the window out.

Now to get the regulator out...

Old 09-27-2014, 04:24 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WhoHasGotTheBlueS
Ok. I am able to get the window down. The key was to remove the four T25 screws that hold the armature into the motor assembly. It was sticky but now I have the window out. Now to get the regulator out...
Cool, be careful when detaching the cables from the motor good luck

Old 09-28-2014, 06:32 AM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Cool, be careful when detaching the cables from the motor good luck
Well, I tried to be careful, but Murphy had other ideas. Oh well.

Now I have to see if I can get the cables wrapped on the capstan (or whatever it is called in this case) appropriately.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 AM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Well I am back, searching to see if someone describes how they did this. No luck finding anything so far.

Yeah, this is tricky. I centered the travelers on the left and right regulator slides. Then I oriented the cables the way they are in the parts diagram. Yeah, I'm making up the terminology as I go along. I don't know what the internals of the regulator mechanism are called!

Have to compress the springs on the two cables as they go to the capstan, and get the cables wrapped properly around the capstan and then get the capstan inserted into its seat. I need four strong hands! The only way I can envision it working is to have a couple of "fork jawed" clamps to keep the springs under compression while I wind the cables onto the capstan and drop it onto the seat...

Ideas? Links to threads my multiple searches may have missed?

Last edited by WhoHasGotTheBlueS; 09-28-2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added some detail
Old 09-29-2014, 06:54 PM
ageofoctane
2nd Gear
When using the "Fonzie" method, it is important to hit the door at the exact moment you push the switch down. If you hold down the switch and beat the hell out of the door, it won't do anything.

Quick Reply: Mini has done it again! GRRR Window issues.