R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53: Anyone have ENTIRE Milltek exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R53: Anyone have ENTIRE Milltek exhaust?

Hi guys,

does anyone have the entire Milltek exhaust system on their R53 MINI Cooper S?

To clarify, I mean both the Milltek header AND the Milltek cat-back, installed together?

I ask because I have the Milltek cat-back system currently, and am definitely used to its' sound. I am considering a header, but I'm worried about ruining the driving experience with "too much" undesirable noise or droning at certain RPMs. In short, I want the benefits of freer-flowing exhaust, (slightly more horsepower & torque, and more sporting sound), but not TOO MUCH sound. I don't want it to sound like a track-only race car with open headers belching out an ear-splitting, ugly cacophony.

If you do, I'd love your thoughts on the following questions:
1.) How did you install them; separately at different times, or all together at the same time?
2.) Do you like the sound of both parts together?
3.) Are there any negatives to the sound of both parts, (too loud for daily driving/street use, droning at a certain RPM, rough sound, loss of burble)?
4.) Any regrets, pitfalls, things to avoid or advice to be given?

Please only reply if you have or had this exact setup, thank you.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM
JedzMCS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You took the question right out of my mouth. I have the Milltek cat-back but am considering the headers.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM
e93m3
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can get some HD Video of the interior sound of the header to exhaust for you tomorrow morning. I have a buddy who converted me to the Mini's who is running the full system. I think it sounds great and will most certainly be on my to do list over the next year when the money is more then abundant

Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
I have both I started with the cat back and installed the header later. The only real difference you will notice in sound is while you are in the power band starting at about 3k rpm I know people with only a cat back still louder than me. I wouldn't trade it for any other system.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
element
3rd Gear
I have the full system and have had on for over 150,000 kms.. I don't think there is a drastic difference in sound and would really need to drive back to back. There is no droning and love the system for daily driving, road trips, track work.. absolutely love it and is my only exhaust recommendation - I have seen borla and invidia exhausts pulled off cars due to the excessive noise.. both were price driven decisions and the invidia switched to a milltek and never looked back. Its a bit more $$, but worth it in the long run.

phil.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:01 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Thanks for your feedback so far.

I am intrigued by the Milltek, but the price is definitely on the high side for aftermarket MINI street headers, but one could easily make the argument that you get what you pay for, I suppose. I like the idea of having a full exhaust system from the same manufacturer. Maybe it isn't necessary, but seems like it'd be a good idea, to get a balanced "system sound", so to speak...

The following users liked this post:
enejglo (09-29-2022)
Old 02-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
I installed the full system about two years ago. Its a bolt and go system, ease of installation and considerable lighter than oem. I'll echo a previous post that mentioned that the noise really comes to life only when you are really on it above 3000!
During a relaxed drive, its hardly noticeable and yes the burble is still there.
After hearing and driving my car, my sister ('02 MCS) went out and got just the cat-back and I don't think there is much difference between the two.

Its not a sound that is embarrassing, more mature, stating " I've got it but
don't flaunt it"!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eggburp
I installed the full system about two years ago. Its a bolt and go system, ease of installation and considerable lighter than oem. I'll echo a previous post that mentioned that the noise really comes to life only when you are really on it above 3000!
During a relaxed drive, its hardly noticeable and yes the burble is still there.
After hearing and driving my car, my sister ('02 MCS) went out and got just the cat-back and I don't think there is much difference between the two.

Its not a sound that is embarrassing, more mature, stating " I've got it but
don't flaunt it"!
That is encouraging, and pretty much exactly what I am hoping for. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The complete system is a bit louder than with a stock header--IMO still a very tasteful sound level. A couple of things you should know about the Milltek header: it is constructed with a HJS catalyst, which is a German-made, high-metal-content cat that performs as well as a factory cat and is high-flow. It's the only cat that I'm aware of that does so. They are very expensive. You should also be aware that the primary ports on the header flange are not substantially bigger than the stock exhaust ports on the head, so if you are considering a ported head like the Jesus head, the Milltek header is not the best choice, unless you want to do a lot of work with a grinding tool. I've done it: it's about 2 hours of shop labor to match port a Milltek header to a Jesus head. For a stock head, the ports are plenty big. That having been said, the Milltek ports are considerably bigger than a couple of other aftermarket headers--this is important folks! Know the port size on your header flanges before buying it.

Here's our propaganda.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
The complete system is a bit louder than with a stock header--IMO still a very tasteful sound level. A couple of things you should know about the Milltek header: it is constructed with a HJS catalyst, which is a German-made, high-metal-content cat that performs as well as a factory cat and is high-flow. It's the only cat that I'm aware of that does so. They are very expensive. You should also be aware that the primary ports on the header flange are not substantially bigger than the stock exhaust ports on the head, so if you are considering a ported head like the Jesus head, the Milltek header is not the best choice, unless you want to do a lot of work with a grinding tool. I've done it: it's about 2 hours of shop labor to match port a Milltek header to a Jesus head. For a stock head, the ports are plenty big. That having been said, the Milltek ports are considerably bigger than a couple of other aftermarket headers--this is important folks! Know the port size on your header flanges before buying it.

Here's our propaganda.
Your feedback is much appreciated. I don't have any plans to get the awesome "Jesus" head, so the port-matching issue isn't really going to be a problem in my case. Good to know though, for others out there.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Does the ECU need to be reflashed after a header installation, (to avoid a Check Engine Light)?

I already have a tune from RMW on my car, and wondered if I'd definitely need to get a reflash, or would my ECU just "learn" that it has less restricted flow from the header, and I'd be okay?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Does the ECU need to be reflashed after a header installation, (to avoid a Check Engine Light)?

I already have a tune from RMW on my car, and wondered if I'd definitely need to get a reflash, or would my ECU just "learn" that it has less restricted flow from the header, and I'd be okay?
You won't get a check engine light.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
I've decided to go for it. I've ordered the Milltek header. Can't wait for spring now, so I can get this piece of kit installed, and take my car for a test drive...

Looking very forward to it.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
Good choice you won't regret it

Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a great setup. I have played around with numerous exhausts, and as long as you stay with twin cans on the back end of the exhaust, pretty much anything you do further upstream will be fine, some setups somewhat louder than others, but all tolerable. Add on that you haven't done a BVH, I think you're going to love the new header. I have an aggressive setup--BVH and RMW header, which is louder than the Milltek, and it's just fine for normal driving.

Eventually I'd like to put Milltek twin cans on the back end, they're my favorite.

Now if you go with a straight pipe all the way to the back, all bets are off..

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Flange gasket?

Hi everyone,

Got my Milltek header today (woo hoo!), and noticed it only came with one gasket, the one that connects to the cat-back system. While that is a good thing, I also sort of expected a gasket that would be sealed between the header flange and the head.

I didn't think I should reuse my current gasket, right?

I suppose I could get another stock gasket:

I've seen some header sites that also recommend using a bead of high-temperature silicone in place of a gasket, but that seems less fool-proof, potentially more messy and less traditional. Any thoughts?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
I replaced the gasket, make sure both surfaces are
clean and you're good
to go. I think you will be pleased!
Enjoy Ed

Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
You can reuse the stock gasket

Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Will I need a re-tune?

So, since my MINI has been tuned by Jan, (before the addition of the Milltek header), will I need a re-tune after I install the header?

I know it would obviously be highly recommended, if for nothing else, to extract the most amount of horsepower and torque out of the header mod as possible (duh).

But I'm also just wondering about throwing codes, because of the pre- and post-cat sensors. Will they sense more flow, and throw some codes at me via the Check Engine Light? Could it cause any damage in any way?

See, Jan only gets around my neck of the woods perhaps once a year, at most, so if I absolutely need a re-tune immediately, I'd have to figure out how to go about doing that.

Wasn't there a remote-tune way to do it, without him having to be physically present?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Eggburp
3rd Gear
I had my full system both before and after a RMW Jan tune....no codes either way.
Yes. you can get a remote tune from RMW, just supply money!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Installed it!

As a conclusion to this saga, I just wanted to update this thread, now that the header has been installed.

Installation went splendidly, and there weren't any major issues. It bolted up really easily with everything. Just let it be known that while the header came with a gasket, it was the gasket that goes between the header and the cat-back section of the exhaust; and didn't come with the gasket that attaches to the exhaust ports of the head.

That had to be ordered separately. I just ordered an OEM MINI gasket, for like 10 bucks. Not too hard to find.

The sound when driving isn't too different when you're at half-throttle or less. If you push the pedal down more aggressively than that, the exhaust wakes up into a much more noticeable roar. The sound is certainly well-tuned and crisp. I took a rare long road trip yesterday with my family, and I found myself intentionally not pushing the loud pedal too much, because I felt it would be a bit too loud for them.

BUT when I'm alone, I am deep into the throttle, and loving the sound overall. It is definitely louder! I know it's lame to say it, but it sounds more like a race car.

Overall, quite happy with this mod, but if your MINI is a daily driver/commuter car with many long freeway miles, I'd not recommend it. The sound would likely get on your nerves after a while.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 PM
rollo tamassi
Neutral
Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I guess that's better than starting a new one on the same topic. But I am the new owner of a '04 MCS with a bunch of mods. One of the mods is a full Milltek system from header to tail. I love the performance and the sound. It is not an annoying rice rocket after market sound, but a deeper healthy sound. The thing that is driving me crazy is that the SES light constantly comes on. I took it to a local dealer for a replacement of the O2 sensor recall, and they stated that it was the catalytic converter that was causing the light per the OBD code. Luckily I live in an area that I don't have to worry about emission testing, but the SES light staring at me is bothersome. Any suggestions?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rollo tamassi
Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I guess that's better than starting a new one on the same topic. But I am the new owner of a '04 MCS with a bunch of mods. One of the mods is a full Milltek system from header to tail. I love the performance and the sound. It is not an annoying rice rocket after market sound, but a deeper healthy sound. The thing that is driving me crazy is that the SES light constantly comes on. I took it to a local dealer for a replacement of the O2 sensor recall, and they stated that it was the catalytic converter that was causing the light per the OBD code. Luckily I live in an area that I don't have to worry about emission testing, but the SES light staring at me is bothersome. Any suggestions?
Mynes bytetronik to turn it off or the non fouler plug trick.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 PM
rollo tamassi
Neutral
Remove my ECU and send it to Bytetronik for a tune or remap would solve the SES light problem?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Miniman s
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rollo tamassi
Remove my ECU and send it to Bytetronik for a tune or remap would solve the SES light problem?
No bytetronik is a system they sell that allows them to do remote tuning or your car but with the system they send you without additional cost you can simply turn off the code that triggers that light but the cheapest solution is the no foul plug.

Quick Reply: R50/53 R53: Anyone have ENTIRE Milltek exhaust?