R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 mini cooper s heat not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Bwearl
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mini cooper s heat not working

I have a 2003 mini cooper s and I am getting no heat inside. No matter what the temp, recirc or auto. Temp is mid range. No codes? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There can be a number of causes, from bad fans to clogged heater cores (a not-uncommon problem with R53s). First and foremost, be sure that your car isn't overheating because of a bad water pump or thermostat.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Bwearl
Neutral

The car is running at mid range on temp with no overheating. Any way to determine if the heater core is clogged? And could it be flushed or must it be replaced?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It's near impossible to flush them, and if they clog once, the replacement is at risk of clogging as well. If this ends up being the problem, you're going to have to be very careful when fixing it: it could turn into a black hole. First and foremost, you must use MINI (or BMW) brand coolant. Some coolants seem to cause a metal reaction in the journals. This may be the source of the bits that get clogged in the core. But before you start worrying about this, you'll have to get the car diagnosed.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Milkybar
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If heater core is plugged you could perform your own Radiator System Back Flush.
I've done this many times before, but never on a Mini.

This thread may provide some insight [2nd page] on how to achieve this on a Mini.

I drain the radiator first, then use tap water for first flush [hopefully you can get to the engine drain plug on a Mini] run the water until it comes out clear. Then re-connect hose and drain plug. Add Radiator flush [or use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and distilled water] to clean the innards. Get the engine warm so that this mixture is circulating in your cooling system. Allow to cool then drain [you can repeat this step if you feel the solution didn't come out clean enough].

Always:
1. Use distilled water with recommended Antifreeze/Coolant for a Mini.
2. Install new thermostat after a flush.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
This thread should pose as a reminder to CHANGE YOUR MINI'S COOLANT REGULARLY.
Mini's do not use long life coolant.....
My trick...after you get the core replaced, and everything clean is to...
Take one gallon of bmw/mini coolant, diluted....
Then loosen the lower radiator hose....changed it it a regular hose clamp the first time....
Pinch the hose so s pretty good streem get dripping out....collect..
begin pouring in fresh coolant in the tank....heeping it mostly full....
When i have used most of the gallon, just tighten up the clamp, make sure the tank is full..

Hose off any dripage, and dispose of coolant...and replave a few of the plastic panels under the car...
now the fluid has been changed about 50%, no bleeding needed...i do this yearly...quick and easy.keeps the coolant fresh....
Might not be as good as a true flush, but keeping it fresh from the start..i bought the car new...should i hope, pay dividends! !
It seems the MOST neglected mx procedure in the mini is the cooling system......

Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM
MNDTH3GAP
Neutral
Had the problem with my 2002. There was a mechanical linkage for the temp control next to the passenger foot well that had come undone. I thought it was every cooling system problem imaginable. AC would work as well as the blower but no heat whatsoever.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM
BRGPA
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
I had a problem similar to the OP. When the heater core came out, the independent shop found it badly clogged even though I had the MINI coolant changed at the dealership following recommended intervals. They cut it in half to examine it and commented that the passages in the MINI core are very small compared to, say an Audi, possibly increasingthe clogging risk. The new core solved the problem- plenty of heat now.