R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Anyone else's DSC turn off when flooring it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone else's DSC turn off when flooring it?

So I have a 17% pulley on my JCW, and just about whenever I floor it the boost gauge tacks out (awesome) but then the DSC light kicks on, and I can't turn it off. Even if I turn it off before I floor it, I can't turn it back on.

Could a sensor be bad (speed or wheel, I'd there one in the diff?) ? Or could it be an issue with my diff? Or is this normal for "a lot of boost / too much boost"?

Dealer can't seem to find the problem, if any, or refuses that one exists (due to mods)

Last edited by astroBlackMetallic_Mini; 12-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Nothing? Nobody?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I can turn off my dsc, then just roast my tires....
if my dsc is on, it will reduce hp when slippage is detected, but I DID have RMW adjust the agressiveness of the dsc when the car was tuned....
On snow tires with cold temps it is easy to activate....but with sticky summer tires..not so easy. Thinling back, i really do not recall the exact behaviour pretune.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
My dsc works still, it activates when it's "supposed" to, but as soon as I give it too much Throttle, the light turns on, dsc does Not activate, and then stays off regardless of the switch. Everything works again when the car restarts.

It's strange. And, I could have sworn that it started to do this before my upgrades...

Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 PM
slvrsoho
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like maybe one of your abs/ wheel speed sensors is on the fritz

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Martin Brenneke
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dsc light

I have a 2005 s JCW when driving down the road The light will come on for no apparent reason. Don't see it at the moment it comes on but wheels ar not spinning or necessarily going around a curve where the wheels might slip. Turn car off light goes away and may not come on for 1000 miles. Its just a poorly enginered car made by BMW.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Naw....the dsc light is SUPPOSED to come on when it is intervening...
Then go out when done....
Preadjusted, and post, that is what is does....if the light comes on and stays on, i bet the dsc module or steering wheel angle sensor has an issue.....
if you have a wheelspeed sensor issue, the tpms on gen1 cars ALSO uses this imput...and when one goes bad, you get the trifecta of lights....
sounds like it is not working as intentend.....so there is an issue. Not sure what type of equipment is needed to link to the dsc computer when tge light is lit to get the error code other than bmw's.....a specilist would likly know...maybe they will chime in.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 PM
pillagethesound
2nd Gear
Do you get an EML light with it or just the DSC light?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 AM
chicolean83
2nd Gear
Mine is off all the time! Except in heavy Rain

Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pillagethesound
Do you get an EML light with it or just the DSC light?
Funny. It used to, but that was to complain about too much boost. Now, it seems to have "gone away", I don't really see it anymore. So now, it's just the DSC light... And it comes on the second I floor it, even if I let off right away.

I couldn't tell you of it comes on when flooring it, or if I just give it a lot if gas very quickly.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear
15% pulley on mine and I've had the same issue at least twice in the last couple of months. Both instances under heavy acceleration on an entrance ramp. Car drives fine, and when I restart it the light goes away.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
finally, someone else with the same problem! im not crazy after all!

not that im happy for your (our) problem either. lol. i was just wondering what was up. let me know if you ever find a solution. so far, everyones been saying its the computer bitching about too much boost. the only other comment ive hear that makes sense, is the wheel speed sensor being picky.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear
I don' t think it can be too much boost because in my case I wasn't holding it in a high rpm range and my only real mods are the15% pulley and a CAI. It seems to be more related to upshifting while accelerating hard, and that would lean more to a wheel speed sensor. I'm not planning on chasing it down if it doesn't bexome more of an issue. We'll see how it progresses.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
100% sure it is NOT too much boost, but simple a failure mode of the dsc system...check the manual. Like i said, the light turns on when intervening, then off when done...if the light turns on after TRYING to activate, and stays on....it has an issue...manual says so. Its broke. If tge eml light/check engine light is turning on from "too much boost" it is often from hitting the max fuel cutoff on an untuned car.....but dsc is a seperate issue.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Location: Perth West Australia in an industrial unit with my numerous cars.
I think the 'new' DSC holds codes. Reader can be the expensive part. Get codes read by stealer or well equipped indi. Then work out whats wrong. No data - no real answer.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear
No codes thrown in my case; at least none my Scangauge II can see. I'm waiting for it to really become an issue before I ask my guy to diagnose. DSC works fine otherwise, as occasionally it flickers when it kicks in. It's only gotten stuck about 3 times in about 6 months.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 PM
MINIFatherFigure
3rd Gear
Location: Perth West Australia in an industrial unit with my numerous cars.
Heard worse..

Old 01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
How much are those wheel speed sensors? Difficult to install? Kinda remember the car doing this before my mods even. Kinda pissed mini never even bothered to change that sensor when I continually complained about it.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
krazykatkb
Neutral
Sounds similar to what mine is doing, but eventually the Check Engine Light will come on. From what I have been researching it could be anything from a sensor to the engine crank vibration dampener. Trying to determine how to narrow it down.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
ive had both Tmap sensors replaced, crank pulley replaced, and a pressure test. no leaks. my CEL light stopped coming on, no idea why. maybe the computer gave up fighting it.

i dont really even have to floor it sometimes. the only thing left is the wheel speed sensors, or a tune, or a miracle :P

Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM
krazykatkb
Neutral
Wow, you have really put some work into this. I see I am in for a fun time finding out what is going on. I know exactly what you mean about a miracle.
Best of luck and please keep us updated.
Take care!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have also had this issue. Generally, it comes on and stays on (turning DSC off) under full load. Not sure if this had anything to do with it, but I emptied my OCC and it started working fine for a while. Now it is back again, but it has been a while and is time to empty the can again.

I don't think that this would cause the problem, but I found it strange that it went away.

The only other option is that it is a wheel sensor.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
I know that If you turn off the DSC it's (the light) on all the time. I never have mine on. But does't it flash the light on when it activates (while the DSC is actually limiting the wheel spin) just as a notification it's doing something? My wifes 07 will show the indicator when it's actively cutting the power.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
I know that If you turn off the DSC it's (the light) on all the time. I never have mine on. But does't it flash the light on when it activates (while the DSC is actually limiting the wheel spin) just as a notification it's doing something? My wifes 07 will show the indicator when it's actively cutting the power.
It will flash when active and you will feel the car cut power. If it comes on permanently, the system is disabled.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
coop-83
Neutral
My 04 cooper s has done this for about 2 years now. I also had slight hesitation problems with sometimes poor low end power. Never have figured it out. I just added power with turbo, water to air intercooler, water meth injecton, pulleys, and other goodies. Everytime I run through 3, 4, 5, or 6 gear at high rpms the light comes on every time. Never in 1st or 2nd. I dont think anyone has solved this issue it seems. I beat it with powe though :-)

Quick Reply: R50/53 Anyone else's DSC turn off when flooring it?