Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Need Sirius Upgrade Assistance Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Dbarton7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Sirius Upgrade Assistance Please

Hi. Just discovered this forum and it's a wealth of information. I have a 2006 convertible with the HK sound system and would like to upgrade to satelite radio and potentially iPod capability. Went to several after market places and I was quoted upwards of 1k to put in a new system which is way too much in my opinion. I called the mini dealer and was told that I could purchase a Sirius tuner from them but the cost is $500. Can I find used one for less? If so where? It would also be helpful to hear what other less expensive options are out there for me as well.

Thanks in advance,
Dace

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the factory Sirius and other than a cleaner looking installation, I would go with a portable radio for less than $100. Why you ask? 1) The factory Mini Sirius does not show what song/artist is playing when using a preset (it does show up when browsing all of the stations). 2) the external vehicle kits can be used in more than one vehicle and with a home kits, 3) when you sell Mini you take it with you 4) album artwork is shown 5) some models have both XM and Sirius stations.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:53 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I have an adaptor that let's me run an XM unit through the factory head.... The factory head just thinks it is a factory sirrius unit...xm receiver plugs in in the factory location.....
But the head we have is VERY limited on the characters it displays....
It us factory clean...cost me maybe $250 for the install in parts about 6+ years ago....
I might suggest it is borderline foolhardy to retrofit a gen1 with the old satellite receiver....verybold teck from 2003 or so....even the receivers are the size of a big book...modern ones are about the size of a cellphone....and have color displays...some can pause stations, etc.
IMO I would go a different route....maybe add the aux in jack...then use a cell phone or iPod for music in...
The xm/sirrius quality Is fairly low and more compressed than most modern streaming services....and canceling a radio with xm is about as hard as canceling cable service with Comcast (ever see that video?).... Xm/sirrius is just as bad....it is a dying product from a bankrupt company....

Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
PS the adaptor was called a "blitzsafe"... A specific mini version...they appear used sometimes...let's you plug a xm radio into it...then into the cars wiring...xm sold receivers for about $50 after the rebate (long gone...sirriues did similarly for factory xm cars). and actually allocates a wider bit rate for music...so slightly better sound...
Remember xm and Sirius were once separate companies.... They mergered...went bankrupt... And are still failing...still two separate networks, about 90% duplicated....
But 90% of folks now use smart phones......

Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Dbarton7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks gents. Sounds like adding the aux jack might be the most cost effective way to go. Do you have a specific one that you would recommend?

Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
OEM...
Plugs right into the back of the stock radio...
Then mount the plug anywhere you want...so do the glove box, some in the down tube...
The you just use a double ended plug into the sound source. Cost...about 30$.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Blitzsafe & an XM direct box here. I think I paid about $100 for the Blitzsafe & the XM direct was free after rebate. Not sure either of those are available anymore.

I'd probably go with the setup that TJANK is talking about.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the OEM setup. See my signature.