Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forge intercooler for JCW

Has anyone tried this yet?
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/Mini_...uct--1457.html

I had one on my 2010 cooper S and it actually hurt performance with the pressure drop when my car was stock resulting in turbo lag and about a 3 mpg drop until RMW tune and then it actually gained about 5 mpg and the boost lag was gone. It sure helped out on track days by keeping the engine much cooler. Since I'm only running the NM on low, not sure if it's really needed, but I'd like some input on anyone trying it out. At least it is finally available for the JCW!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Some good information here in this article:

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_Cooper...ooler_Upgrades

Here's a helpful application guide:

http://new.minimania.com/Intercooler...e_Upgrade_Kits

Some interesting data here:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G3NME3...56-F55-F54-F57

If you are going to tackle the job yourself, this video should help!

http://new.minimania.com/Mini_Cooper_Inter-cooler_Video

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:01 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
I'm also interested in this. Has anyone done a review? I couldn't find anything on Google.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:01 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Ordered.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Intercooler

Thank you for the order. Please let us know if we can help with anything else

Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Thank you for the order. Please let us know if we can help with anything else

I ordered directly from Forge Motorsports. The JCW specific intercooler wasn't offered on your site.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:01 PM
jrosa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know how many HP will be the gain for the JCW by installing this Forge Intercooler?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:48 AM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jrosa
Do you know how many HP will be the gain for the JCW by installing this Forge Intercooler?
Not sure. I'm running the NM power module on the low setting, pushing 3.5 lbs of boost over stock. I'd imagine the stock intercooler wasn't designed with this in mind. More boost means hotter turbo and hotter air. So I figure a higher volume intercooler can't hurt. I'm sure it won't be noticeable during daily driving, but it should sustain power gains during track days or spirited canyon runs.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
This was also my reasoning when I added my Helix I/C to my JCW Tune and NM Module. Definitely can't hurt and will be required when I get a ECU tune after warranty runs out.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Forge Intercooler JCW

Originally Posted by NellyRod
I ordered directly from Forge Motorsports. The JCW specific intercooler wasn't offered on your site.
If we don't have it listed it's hard to order! Actually, it's a new product for them and we just now have it listed:

http://new.minimania.com/part/G3NME3...56-F55-F54-F57

Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Vetsvette. I believe your warranty ends sooner than mine. Can't wait when we get closer, and get to look at ECU Tunes for our car. I've followed a similar path with your built with great success!

With that said, running a bigger intercooler helps. Specially when I drove to Vegas with ambient temp of 115+ Didn't feel any lost of power. I was Running on Helix with NM module on High setting on JCW pro tune and exhaust. Heard of people's Turbo/engine over heating on the Las Vegas to Palm Spring leg of MTTS 2016.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:05 PM
vetsvette
Only another 58K miles or September 2019, whichever comes first.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:10 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Is that the extended? I'm just regular with the option to extend.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 PM
vetsvette
CPO, 5yr 75K.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:38 AM
al the mini man
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Got the Forge intercooler going on my JCW next Thursday,reading the fitting instructions it looks like it is going to be a pain to fit.Let you know when its done.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:55 AM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by al the mini man
Got the Forge intercooler going on my JCW next Thursday,reading the fitting instructions it looks like it is going to be a pain to fit.Let you know when its done.
Where did you find the instructions? I looked on their website and couldn't find it. I'm still debating if I want to do the install myself or pay a shop.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 AM
al the mini man
2nd Gear
The fitting instructions come with the intercooler or you could email them and ask them to download them to you.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:49 PM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by al the mini man
The fitting instructions come with the intercooler or you could email them and ask them to download them to you.
Intercooler was delivered today. Yeah those instructions make it seem a pain.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:35 AM
al the mini man
2nd Gear
Intercooler was delivered today. Yeah those instructions make it seem a pain.
I will let you know how my mechanic gets on.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:56 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
the only "hard" part is removing the 2 rivets on the bottom corners. besides that, it's just remove/install. obviously the bumper as well but that's also a joke.

for my car, the bumper also had a piece of plastic that noone could figure out with what it was for. it was about 3" long. only thing i could assume is that it was used to simply lean on the stock I/C. with the bigger I/C, i just cut that piece off.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:57 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We were fortunate enough to be the first to sell the Forge JCW intercoolers in the US and have had really great results. We keep them in stock and just offer it as a drop down on the website. By far great bang for the buck.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...s-f55-f56.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-26-2016, 09:33 AM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
I've had the IC on the car for a few weeks now. No problems at all so far. It's much larger than the stock unit, and the build quality is great. It is noticeably heavier, but that's most likely due to the solid construction and absence of plastic ends like the stock unit has. IMO it cleans up the front end look of the car being that the unit is painted black. Fitment was perfect with no problems during install.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:32 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I've had the IC on the car for a few weeks now. No problems at all so far. It's much larger than the stock unit, and the build quality is great. It is noticeably heavier, but that's most likely due to the solid construction and absence of plastic ends like the stock unit has. IMO it cleans up the front end look of the car being that the unit is painted black. Fitment was perfect with no problems during install.
ok so aesthetically you're happy with it. what about performance. have you done a log of ambient vs IAT both on stock and now the forge? not challenging you...i'm really actually curious. i've been doing numerous logs on the Helix DDC FMIC. i have track logs of ambient vs IAT, street driving logs, and spirited street driving. curious to see what your average delta is. i usually start collecting logs about 10-15 after i first turn on...in the mornings the FMIC is usually very cold so even the first few minutes, the ambient/IAT delta is nothing...but once you start driving after awhile you start to see where it begins to settle and what happens if you go full throttle, or regular acceleration. done any of that? i know forge has their charts but i'm looking to see what real world data looks like.

for the record, my data collection is done with an obdlink lx bluetooth module and i use "TrackAddict" off my android phone. it's similar to harry's lap timer, but harry's requires a track. i just wanted to record myself driving in the street. i typically start recording and it'll grab all the data including some video.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:54 AM
NellyRod
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
ok so aesthetically you're happy with it. what about performance. have you done a log of ambient vs IAT both on stock and now the forge? not challenging you...i'm really actually curious. i've been doing numerous logs on the Helix DDC FMIC. i have track logs of ambient vs IAT, street driving logs, and spirited street driving. curious to see what your average delta is. i usually start collecting logs about 10-15 after i first turn on...in the mornings the FMIC is usually very cold so even the first few minutes, the ambient/IAT delta is nothing...but once you start driving after awhile you start to see where it begins to settle and what happens if you go full throttle, or regular acceleration. done any of that? i know forge has their charts but i'm looking to see what real world data looks like.

for the record, my data collection is done with an obdlink lx bluetooth module and i use "TrackAddict" off my android phone. it's similar to harry's lap timer, but harry's requires a track. i just wanted to record myself driving in the street. i typically start recording and it'll grab all the data including some video.

I haven't done any data logging. I wanted to upgrade the IC since I was pushing additional boost with the NM Power module that the stock IC was not designed for.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:09 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
do you plan on logging data?

Quick Reply: JCW Forge intercooler for JCW