JCW JCW Pro Exhaust Flap Closing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:49 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
I still wish Mini would offer an option to have an On/Off switch installed and just hardwire the system. Do away with the BT Fob altogether. I also like the option of turning it on and off, but it could just as easily be done with a switch vs a remote.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:28 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by vetsvette
I still wish Mini would offer an option to have an On/Off switch installed and just hardwire the system. Do away with the BT Fob altogether. I also like the option of turning it on and off, but it could just as easily be done with a switch vs a remote.
Yes, but my guess is that it would cost more to offer the switch with wiring and they are going more to bluetooth in order to save on costs.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:52 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KYDan
This assumes you want the drone on all the time. I have both the C7 and the MINI and when traveling distances in ECO mode the drone in both is very annoying for me. If you want a constant on system a better option would be to order the mini with the stock exhaust and switch to one of the aftermarket exhaust options.
Correct, pulling the fuse would leave the valve open all the time, which is why I provided the link on how to build your own system with a remote that will essentially turn the fuse on and off, this way you can have the valve open, or leave it closed. I have this controller on my Camaro so I can quiet things down on highway trips. This system uses an RF transmitter and receiver, not bluetooth, I've never had any problems having it stay open when I want it open or operating in the stock mode. As I said, this could be a better and more reliable solution than what Mini provides with their bluetooth controller.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:00 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
I have had the system for 8 months and 13,000+ miles with the original battery with no issues with the bluetooth. I will stick with it unless it fails as it has proven itself with me.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:33 PM
flyinlow
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would be curious with the people who are having issues to do analysis on their issue, breaking down what options they have, how they are using it, what phones they have, etc. etc.

Reminds me of the problem on my 2005 corvette. When GM decided to put a push button start in the new C6, the requirement from the DOT was that for manual transmission cars you had to put the car in reverse before turning the car off. This was supposed to ensure that the car would shut down properly (the requirement was removed for 2006). What happened to alot of manual 2005 vettes was you would turn the car off, come out a day or two later and the battery was completely dead. It happened to me about once per summer. It took GM two years to figure out, they never did say what the actual issue was, but they fixed it with a reflash of the body control module.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:57 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Do you remember the old movie, "Divorce American Style"? Deny, deny, deny, and it may go away. I just received my first recall notice on my C7. A reflash for a seat belt issue. I bought it November 2013 with the 6 speed tranny that was carried over from the C6 series. A lot of the later C7s had problems with the 8 speed auto tranny, and it took a while to fix it. Just finished Route 66 in it after 5,350 miles and a total just shy of 30K. I think it is the best corvette they have built, and the same about the mini although I much preferred the R series style before the snout on the F. But, I love the Boxter engine and the performance of this one. Most of the issues now seem to be electronics with all autos, but they are collectively better than older ones. My first car was an Austin-Healey 100-6, and I spent more time working on it than driving it. However, I wish I still had it, I loved that car too.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Q8mini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jcw pro

I had the same problem but it was the apple wach if any one had an apple wach and comes next the car it will close so if u have an apple wach try to turn it off

Old 11-12-2016, 07:52 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, I've never had a Bluetooth device paired in my car, but did so with my wife's phone yesterday and sure enough we saw the flap closure happen on the first leg of our trip. I've never had it happen before then.

I opened it back up and it worked for the rest of the time, but it definitely seems to support the "other BT devices are the issue" theory.

--Matt

Old 11-13-2016, 06:42 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
I am an old luddite and have no bluetooth anythings, I still use an armored cell phone that suits my needs. I imagine it may have saved me aggravation with the blue tooth issues and my exhaust!

Old 11-13-2016, 07:52 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
I am an old luddite and have no bluetooth anythings, I still use an armored cell phone that suits my needs. I imagine it may have saved me aggravation with the blue tooth issues and my exhaust!
Yeah, I'm a Bluetooth non user as well. My wife wanted to play music from Pandora during a long drive so she paired it up .

--Matt