JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Just installed NM Engineering air charge tubin and CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Minitauro
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely interested on how the NM reflash works out over the long run (no CELs, etc). Just out of curiosity, what made you go with an NM tune vs. other ones out there like Manic, etc.?

Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Minitauro
Definitely interested on how the NM reflash works out over the long run (no CELs, etc). Just out of curiosity, what made you go with an NM tune vs. other ones out there like Manic, etc.?
Almost 1000 miles driven post NME stage 1 flash and not a single problem...no CEL, no errors, no hiccups, nothing It's been flawless and runs like a champ. I did my research and found very good reviews by the magazines, owners, and fact that NME didn't go crazy with the boost, cam timings, etc. where it will kill the stock motor. Maps are new not redirected. Retains ability to get factory updates and fixes. One flash for all octane gas since the ECU learns the octane you use. Lastly, NME customer service has been top notch and highly responsive so matters greatly to me.

I plan to do the NME stage 2 flash when I get to doing the upgraded intercooler.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:19 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by minimofo
I love cars and doing easy mods to get the biggest smiles per $. The JCW is simple to work with. Doesn't matter the price of the car to me. I love my JCW, since it's my daily driver I can zip around in. If I break something in my mods, it's cheap to replace. My JCW loaded with dealer installed CF wing and gauges was $37K but bought brand new at end of model year for only $33K.

I already installed the QuickSilver Titan titanium exhaust on the Lambo so the V10 can scream bloody murder as it should be. There's not much else to do on an otherwise perfect car for me already.

I've tallied all my JCW mods so far including NME wheels and tires...$6887 incl. all taxes, shipping, install/services I don't do myself (realignment, tire mounting, brakes). That's a little over just the Lambo's exhaust incl. installation alone

Yeah, how ya gonna mod a Lambo? I never got in one of those, but I think it's too much car for me to be honest. A long time ago I drove my friend's Acura NSX that he put some nitrous oxide booster on (he was a dentist lol) and jeez, that thing was freaking dangerous when you floored it! I like your JCW a lot.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Minitauro
4th Gear

I plan to do the NME stage 2 flash when I get to doing the upgraded intercooler.
Cool - looking forward to that writeup

Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Yeah, how ya gonna mod a Lambo? I never got in one of those, but I think it's too much car for me to be honest. A long time ago I drove my friend's Acura NSX that he put some nitrous oxide booster on (he was a dentist lol) and jeez, that thing was freaking dangerous when you floored it! I like your JCW a lot.
Actually there's a lot you can do...coilovers and turbos are what most guys who play with the Lambos do. Underground TT and Heffner TT are the 2 biggest players. In fact a Gallardo with UTT and over 2,000 hp just set a new world record doing 234 mph in 1/2 mile. Crazy stuff. Those turbo setups start at $50K minimum.

I used to have a last gen NSX. Bought new in 2003 and was one of the 2 last spa yellow pearl left in the country at the time. Brand new off the show floor and changed out the suspensions with full racing coilovers complete with cockpit controlled remote reservoirs, brakes, adjustable sway bars, CAI, and titanium exhaust and hit the road courses. Sold it in 2008 with only 14k miles half of which were track miles. It was my favorite car until the Lambo now and still is very special.

I currently have the very first paid deposit (as far as we know and can document) and pending delivery of the all new NSX now delayed again until 2016. I put the deposit down nearly 5 yrs ago when the rumor broke. We shall see...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Cool - looking forward to that writeup
I need to get documentation from NME how aggressive is the stage 2 flash. I was told they would dial in more boost and aggressive cam timing. I want to make sure it won't blow up the stock motor, short or long term, and lose drivability on a daily basis.

I haven't made the leap yet because as is with the NME stage 1 flash I'm losing traction in 1st and 2nd gears along with more torque steer. Stage 2 may make that worse so will need more research...

Old 09-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Minitauro
4th Gear
Minimofo - on the Stage 1 reflash, which I'm interested in, you mentioned that they removed the rev limiter? Did they completely remove it or move it up? Would have to accidentally over rev!

Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Minimofo - on the Stage 1 reflash, which I'm interested in, you mentioned that they removed the rev limiter? Did they completely remove it or move it up? Would have to accidentally over rev!
I believe it's completely removed. I've not bumped into any limiter in speed or power shifting like I did before. I shift right at or slightly above redline and have never over rev'ed. If one is good at shifting, one should not be over rev'ing by mere sound of the engine and instinct.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:10 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I find my peak curve shifting at 5800 on acceleration. Sometimes over 6. But I've never experienced any limiter. Maybe I'm not pushing higher than 62. Though once on the Santa Monica freeway I had the music cranked up and found myself pushing it to 6500. At least it blows out the carbon buildup. hahaha

Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe it's completely removed. I've not bumped into any limiter in speed or power shifting like I did before. I shift right at or slightly above redline and have never over rev'ed. If one is good at shifting, one should not be over rev'ing by mere sound of the engine and instinct.
That is unless you are an avid autocrosser and you need to keep it in gear just a little longer because you're not quite to that next turn and upshifting will cut your times. Trust me I've been in a few courses were there was a straight that was a tad too long and was very glad the limiter was raised .

Old 09-15-2015, 01:18 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
That is unless you are an avid autocrosser and you need to keep it in gear just a little longer because you're not quite to that next turn and upshifting will cut your times. Trust me I've been in a few courses were there was a straight that was a tad too long and was very glad the limiter was raised .
Yep agreed. Know that well. It's more about staying in that right powerband. Happened to me a few times last wkend and costed me precious time. Took a couple runs before I was able to decide if I should shift or not in certain areas of the course.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
3k and up. If you miss a shift and go down you will notice your slower track times. Been there before. First couple runs you feel for the track and the power band.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
3k and up. If you miss a shift and go down you will notice your slower track times. Been there before. First couple runs you feel for the track and the power band.
Last straight heading to last left hand corner before tripping the end timer made me indecisive. Was redlining in 2nd gear heading into corner and hard on brakes. I was debating a couple times if I should just go wide on the right/outside and stay in power and floor it or downshift to 1st since it was only 50 ft from the corner to the timer. I opted to stay in 2nd and floored it but didn't get the extra boost to come.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:21 PM
robbie9999
1st Gear
your mini

Mate what size wheels are on your mini ? 19 inch ? Is it pepper white ? Also how much HP you gain from the conversion you did ?

Rob

will do. i'll install the short shifter when i do the oem gp rear diffuser since the exhaust needs to come off to get to the lower shifter link.

thanks, yes it's true

Old 12-03-2015, 01:31 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love cars and doing easy mods to get the biggest smiles per $. The JCW is simple to work with. Doesn't matter the price of the car to me. I love my JCW, since it's my daily driver I can zip around in. If I break something in my mods, it's cheap to replace. My JCW loaded with dealer installed CF wing and gauges was $37K but bought brand new at end of model year for only $33K.

I already installed the QuickSilver Titan titanium exhaust on the Lambo so the V10 can scream bloody murder as it should be. There's not much else to do on an otherwise perfect car for me already.

I've tallied all my JCW mods so far including NME wheels and tires...$6887 incl. all taxes, shipping, install/services I don't do myself (realignment, tire mounting, brakes). That's a little over just the Lambo's exhaust incl. installation alone
This is good to hear. I am about to jump in to the JCW for a DD and AX car. MY weekend car is a 15 Porsche TT and I just can't do AX with it. It kills me to kick up all the pebbles and such but fell in love with AX.

I was a little concerned about to fun to drive and mod part but sounds like you are doing just fine. Hilarious to see all your mods and the cost and so true. I did a bbi exhaust and it was $5,200

I will keep checking out all your mods so I will be ready to follow your lead.

Cheers.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Wheels and spacers pics in this thread. Well done.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...otul-done.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 AM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by robbie9999
Mate what size wheels are on your mini ? 19 inch ? Is it pepper white ? Also how much HP you gain from the conversion you did ?

Rob
wheels are nme rse12 in 18x7.5 with ecs tuning 4mm spacers and longer bolts all around: http://www.nm-eng.com/290/24/0/2857/...ght-wheel.html

yes, my jcw is pepper white.

i've gained about 35hp with my engine mods (nme intake and tubing) and stage 1 ecu reflash. i'll install the helix intercooler and do a stage 2 reflash in the spring for another 25% gain on hp on top of that.

i now have over 5,000 miles after all my mods and stage 1 ecu. i'm happy to report that i've had NO/ZERO/NADA/ZILT problems whatsoever! no check engine lights, no drivability issues, not a single damn problem PERIOD! only problem is i'm having way too much fun ;-)

Last edited by minimofo; 12-27-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:00 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Mo!

Awesome stuff here! You have a fantastic mini!

Thanks for the update. I'm going the same route - nm pipes, intake, helix intercooler, all waiting to be installed on my '11 S. I agree - nm is quality, however, I haven't experienced their customer service. Glad to hear good things.

Your update on the stage 1 ecu is very encouraging - I was nervous about it, but now I think I'll go for it.

Thanks again for the detailed info!

wheels are nme rse12 in 18x8.5: http://www.nm-eng.com/290/24/0/2857/...ght-wheel.html

yes, my jcw is pepper white.

i've gained about 35hp with my engine mods (nme intake and tubling) and stage 1 ecu reflash. i'll install the helix intercooler and do a stage 2 reflash in the spring for another 25% gain on hp on top of that.

i now have over 5,000 miles after all my mods and stage 1 ecu. i'm happy to report that i've had NO/ZERO/NADA/ZILT problems whatsoever! no check engine lights, no drivability issues, not a single damn problem PERIOD! only problem is i'm having way too much fun ;-)

Old 12-27-2015, 01:19 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kevin_
Hey Mo!

Awesome stuff here! You have a fantastic mini!

Thanks for the update. I'm going the same route - nm pipes, intake, helix intercooler, all waiting to be installed on my '11 S. I agree - nm is quality, however, I haven't experienced their customer service. Glad to hear good things.

Your update on the stage 1 ecu is very encouraging - I was nervous about it, but now I think I'll go for it.

Thanks again for the detailed info!
Customer service is excellent! Ask for Jerry who's the main rep and tell him I sent you. He follows me on here and have pics on their FB. He's extremely responsive and gives good guidance. I suggest ordering all the products at one time if you can and see if you could work out a deal ;-)

Best part is everything is reversible should you want to sell your call later. The cost of ECU flash includes reversing it back to stock if that's what you need later and includes any future upgrades for that stage.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:24 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Customer service is excellent! Ask for Jerry who's the main rep and tell him I sent you. He follows me on here and have pics on their FB. He's extremely responsive and gives good guidance. I suggest ordering all the products at one time if you can and see if you could work out a deal ;-)

Best part is everything is reversible should you want to sell your call later. The cost of ECU flash includes reversing it back to stock if that's what you need later and includes any future upgrades for that stage.
I already purchased the parts, but maybe I can look into a mult-item discount when I start looking at suspension.

So I can pay the $500 and that will cover stage 1 flash, then a stage 2 flash AND finally back to stock flash if I ever decide to sell?

Thanks again!

Kevin

Old 12-27-2015, 01:55 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
I already purchased the parts, but maybe I can look into a mult-item discount when I start looking at suspension.

So I can pay the $500 and that will cover stage 1 flash, then a stage 2 flash AND finally back to stock flash if I ever decide to sell?

Thanks again!

Kevin
No, each stage is $500 but I'm sure you can get a discount if doing stage 2 later.

Yes each stage includes the flash, saved stock program, and any software upgrades for that stage.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:28 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
No, each stage is $500 but I'm sure you can get a discount if doing stage 2 later.

Yes each stage includes the flash, saved stock program, and any software upgrades for that stage.
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up!

Kevin

Old 12-29-2015, 05:13 PM
kevin_
3rd Gear
Hey mo,

One more question - why did you decide to go with the white paper filter and not the reusable blue filter when both filters are the same price?

Thanks!

kevin

Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 PM
minimofo
3rd Gear
Hey mo,

One more question - why did you decide to go with the white paper filter and not the reusable blue filter when both filters are the same price?

Thanks!

kevin
Because I didn't want to mess with cleaning process of the blue/purple filter and oiling it properly. You need to get a cleaning and re-oiling kit to do it right.

White disposable is easy swap and go. You can actually just tap it out when it gets dirty and rinse with water. Let it completely dry before using for 2nd or 3rd time if you want to squeeze some life out of the white one.

$50 to replace the white one say once every 10k miles or more is no big deal.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:39 PM
ymi5150?
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
super build!
Question - if you had to select an order of purchase/installation of these mods, what would it be?
Just acquired a 2010 JCW and i'm working on addressing design flaws first (strut tower mushrooming and carbon buildup). also had to get rid of the stock steering wheel...
Cheers

Quick Reply: JCW Just installed NM Engineering air charge tubin and CAI