General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2011 S

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Nascosta
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 2011 S

Ive been researching a one owner MCS 2011 with 22k miles. A few things stood out when I spoke to the service tech at the dealer where this car was serviced.

A few things stood out as concerns. The oil pump solenoid seal had failed and it also had a wiring harness replacement done as part of the dealers fix. But after reading a few of the owner threads about it being a recurring issue, I am having concerns.

Also, there was a gasket in the oil filter area that keeps coolant from entering the engine oil? This too was fixed under warranty but also is of concern for me.

Finally a bad thermostat that was stuck in the open position apparently.

Should I stay away from a mini like this or is it good these things have happened and have been addressed? The recurrence of the oil pan solenoid gasket didn't sound reassuring as the warranty will expire in July of this year. I can't imagine any of these repairs being cheap, the tech noted that the wiring harness remove/replace was a 7 hour job itself.

Again this is a June 2011 build date car.

Thanks for any input and great forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Nascosta
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing.

The VIN is a TY16...
R56 (MUE)
N18B16MO
Auto trans

Old 03-02-2015, 11:11 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nascosta
Ive been researching a one owner MCS 2011 with 22k miles. A few things stood out when I spoke to the service tech at the dealer where this car was serviced.

A few things stood out as concerns. The oil pump solenoid seal had failed and it also had a wiring harness replacement done as part of the dealers fix. But after reading a few of the owner threads about it being a recurring issue, I am having concerns.

Also, there was a gasket in the oil filter area that keeps coolant from entering the engine oil? This too was fixed under warranty but also is of concern for me.

Finally a bad thermostat that was stuck in the open position apparently.

Should I stay away from a mini like this or is it good these things have happened and have been addressed? The recurrence of the oil pan solenoid gasket didn't sound reassuring as the warranty will expire in July of this year. I can't imagine any of these repairs being cheap, the tech noted that the wiring harness remove/replace was a 7 hour job itself.

Again this is a June 2011 build date car.

Thanks for any input and great forum.
I would start by arranging and paying for a thorough used-car inspection with a trust worthy independent mechanic. Pay for the work yourself. Avoid dealers - they are mostly in-warranty part swappers with little experience or knowledge of long-term care of our cars. Be prepared to pay for 1.5-2.5 hours of labor - every dollar spent on pre-purchase inspection will get returned multifold in terms of issues found on the car that will allow you negotiate down the purchase price.

The fact that you know that the car has had some of its weak points addressed is a plus. What you need to find out now is what is likely to let go next.

a

Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 PM
a2oc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want something super reliable that will never go wrong you might need to look elsewhere. Mini wasnt the most reliable thing and they can go wrong at sometime. Sometimes the bills are quite shocking for the repairs, get the warranty for the peace of mind. Bought my 09 with 21k miles and engine blew up at 40k, with lots of other bits other than the engine failing too.