General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aelwulf's MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:26 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aelwulf's MINI

I'm going to hijack GUNNER's idea and start putting comments and questions I have here, unless it's directly related to someone's topic elsewhere. Hopefully this way I don't spam as much as I think I have been lately, and if someone wants to input then they can and if they don't they don't have to see posts all over.

The last week of July 2014 I bought a 2009 MINI fJCW with about 60,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner. It was advertised as such and so far seems to fit the bill, but since I deployed a week after I have to wait until I get back to verify. On the plus side it gives me time to get more familiar with what I need to look for and/or get taken care of when I get back if it isn't already. On the downside it means the car has to sit and I don't get to drive it. :p It also means I have limited input from a reference point of view on my own vehicle.

The CarFax listed some regular maintenance but it didn't seem anything consistent that I could tell. The car also spent most of its life so far in the Northeast to Midwest areas so not sure how it was kept in weather, etc. But I did take it to a place in town that's supposed to be very experienced with MINIs (the closest dealerships are an hour+ away in Denver) and they did a quick lookover with a code reader for free. Nothing jumped out at them, they just pointed out a small left rear light was out. He said it looks like it's a good buy so really hoping that continues to be the case. The edges of the rims have some rash on them I may see about addressing at some point if I don't just replace them.

I'm already planning a list of mods. Most of them are average/not too pricey, but I plan to make some changes to ensure it's unique and/or something I really like. My fingers are crossed that this car lasts me at least 8-10 years like almost all my previous vehicles have. I'll list current plans here in a few.

I'm also going to close the Mod Tracker thread I made and just start posting any updates to it here if anyone's actually following it. I think it's about two-thirds completed (for now) but even so I keep finding new details/mods to add.

Last edited by Aelwulf; 08-29-2014 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo :p
Old 08-29-2014, 05:42 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
good idea. my only suggestion would be to know what you want to do with the car (daily, autox, track, other) first, and then mod accordingly.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:49 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Primarily it's going to be daily and on mountain roads. But I would like to get involved in autox and perhaps some track as the kids get a bit older. I figure by that time I'll have it to Stage 1/2+ and start getting more time freed up for more involved/expensive jobs.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:57 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
gotcha. the only reason i mention it is because if you want to get competitive, the class rules can be pretty strict based on what class you want to run in etc

Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Another break at work and more updates.

The following are my more immediate plans, with things I'd like to do sooner than later after. Then I'll toss up some additional things I've seen I'd like to try.

Upcoming mods:

CAI - probably JCW with an AMSOIL dry filter and flap mod, but I like the AEM & NM Engineering carbon fiber as well. Hopefully ordering February-March (if not earlier).
Exhaust - was thinking Alta but I'm really liking the iPE, and the wife's on-board with spending the extra money in the next 6 months rather than the next 18+. Ordering February-March.
Downpipe (DP) - I was looking at the Evolve catted, but the iPE comes with one. See above timeframe.
Blow-Off Valve/Diverter - After reading on here I was leaning towards the Alta diverter, but the GFB DV+ keeps nagging at me so think I'll try it instead. Likely ordering in December (if not earlier).
Heat Shields - To try and avoid some issues on here (oil line, warped scoop, etc). Looking at the WMW scoop shield & turbo wrap, and the Detroit Tuned oil kit to include the oil line shield/wrap. Likely ordering in December (if not earlier).
Rear Sway Bar (RSB) - Hotchkis H-Sport Competition with the new brackets. Ordering February-March.
Craven Dipstick - Sounds like the OEM ones have issues, so why chance it? Yeah it's expensive for a dipstick but it's not an extreme expense. Edit: Ordered, minor but it's a start.
Light in Sight - Since it seems to be highly recommended on here can give it a shot. Ordering in the immediate future.
Eyes Sunshade - Pricey but look like a lot of fun. Likely ordering in December.
Custom HID-upgrade headlights - Likely ordering early December.
Antenna - Carbon Fiber shorty with the Black Jack tip. Possibly part of the February-March set.

To-Do sooner rather than later:

Front-Mounted Intercooler (FMIC) - Leaning towards the Wagner in black. I'd like to add this to the February-March set but we'll see.
ECU/Tuning - BattleTune/DNA. Hopefully I'll be talking to them once the exhaust, CAI, & FMIC are on for an initial run in the next 6-9 months.
Tires - Soon as the run-flats die I'm getting non-runflats and making a fix kit. Looking at possibly Falken 912s (if memory serves) to try first.
Torque Arm Insert, Etc - The NM Engineering ones seem to be popular, and possibly a necessary replacement? Powerflex for others as necessary. Replace as I do other things in the same area.
Helix Short Shift Kit & NM Engineering underbody replacement plate for such kits - I don't think I'm near the point of needing a CAE shifter, etc yet but a cleaner shift is a plus regardless so looking at this. I like the look of the NM Engineering one, but if they both do exactly the same thing I don't see why I'd need to pay more for that one. Plus it's out of sight anyway. Possibly included in the February-March set (or earlier).
Charge/Discharge Pipes - Probably the NM Engineering set. Middle of next year?
Black-Out Trim - Headlights, taillights, around the windows, etc. Probably a black headlight kit as well. If the money's there it may be carbon fiber but not counting on it, think I'd like a regular black look more. This also means either painting the driving light rings or getting new ones. As I go, probably over the next year.
Steering wheel controls - would require a new steering wheel (probably one of the JCW leather/Alcantara ones) and the kit since mine doesn't currently have it. Guessing late next year to spring of 2016?
iPod adapter kit - for inside the CD player box & to add the USB port. I'd like this to be in the next 6 months but we'll see.
Front Strut Brace - I think I'm going with the M7 J-Brace bar & tower plates but need to look some more. Probably Spring-Summer 2015.

Additional Items:

nGauge Gauge Cluster - Mine has a mount with I think a boost gauge and some kind of GPS mount bolt, but I'd rather a clean setup. It's only this far down on the list because the 4-gauge set I'd like is about $1,000. :p
Oil Catch Can (OCC) - Thinking M7 carbon fiber, Madness, or SMC
Oil Cooler - Likely the Sneed Speed one
End Links - TBD, if I don't go with a Tarrett; this may get bumped up to be done with the RSB
Shocks/Struts/Coilovers/Camber Plates - I'm a bit torn between making an investment on some good ones up front to save money in the long run, or going with an upgrade that in-between stock and an end goal setup. If the former I like DuelL AG's Ohlin/Hyperco combo with Vorshag plates, although might have to price them separate too. If the latter possibly Koni Yellows with some kind of spring TBD, maybe with Ireland Engineering plates if necessary. I have some things to learn in this area in regards to camber settings etc.
Front Sway Bar (FSB) - Is it needed? Seems to be generally dismissed in some reading so far.
Big Brake Kit - Definitely need to read up. Wilwood seems popular, and the DuelL AG one looks decent. StopTech's seem to be liked, but also only have front end it seems?
Wheels/Rims - Probably sticking with the stock JCW ones for now, but those will end up as winter wheels. Looking at O.Z. Racing Italia 150 in Dark Graphite, 17x7 4x100 42mm offset (assuming they clear the brakes, etc). Likely Falken 205x45R17 tires (or maybe 215x35R17?). Whenever the current tires wear out most likely, to be replaced with snow tires.
Ethanol Kit (possibly Aquamist HSF-4) - Probably spring of 2016 due to price, but might finagle earlier.
Alta Positive Steering Response System - Anyone have this? It reads like it's useful but not sure.
Cosmetic - I'm likely going with a Black Jack theme so there'll be some covers, etc both inside & out. Edit: Have some CF door pulls from a forum member en route, again small but it's a start.
Body Kit - I like the JCW Aero kit and am thinking of getting that one. I also like a couple of the DuelL pieces, although not 100% on some of them. I don't want their rear piece because the modded exhaust hole is too high for the iPE system. The GP setup is nice too. Kit pieces cost a chunk as well though so they're down on the list. I'm debating the DuelL carbon fiber scuttle panels.
Scoop - May go carbon fiber, and/or the larger opening (such as the M7 Vortex if memory serves). But not sold on the look yet.
Upgraded turbo/ported heads/etc - if I get serious about autox/track later
Coils/cooler plugs - Brisk plugs and upgraded coils. Probably Spring 2016 for the coils.
Spoiler/Wing - Either the JCW carbon fiber spoiler or the M7 dual carbon fiber wing, depending on funds and how overt I feel.

That's a good start. There are some other specifics but didn't want to get too in the weeds. Input on the overall and/or the question points in there definitely welcome.

Thanks to Grizld700, ra2fanatic, and others for input so far, and ra2fanatic for inspiring part of the build so far.

Edit: Updated estimated timeframes for a number of items for interested parties.

Last edited by Aelwulf; 10-26-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: It's been asked.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
gotcha. the only reason i mention it is because if you want to get competitive, the class rules can be pretty strict based on what class you want to run in etc
Thanks. If I go that route it'd probably be more casual track days and such than actual races, but we'll see. Good info in case though.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
This may have been mentioned before so apologies if so, but does the Alta upgrade spring do anything for the DV+? Is it still a good swap or just stick with the spring that comes with the DV+?

Old 08-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure there has been any comparison done with them. But the DV+ spring is an upgrade as it is, plus I'm not sure how well it would work if using a different spring. If you get the DV+, just use the provided spring, it was designed to be used with it.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:33 AM
Morrissey25
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like a great project that you are undertaking... Sub'd for updates and progress.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
Thanks for the mention. Good luck on the upgrades. I'm sure your issue is the same as mine.....$$$$ and time.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Gunner
Thanks for the mention. Good luck on the upgrades. I'm sure your issue is the same as mine.....$$$$ and time.
Credit where credit's due. And definitely, always at least one or the other.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First Thank you very much for the mention!!

Ok, couple things I noticed in your planned set up. The Flap mod, as far as I know thats a first gen mod. I'm 100% on that but I'm at 95%. I'd double check that on. Then the

Steering wheel controls. You shouldn't need a new steering wheel. You can take the inserts out install the buttons and little wiring harness. But you will need to take to a MINI dealer to have the cruise control and radio controls programmed in.

The Tarrett RSB. Great bar. Noisey however. If you DD your MINI it may not be the bar for you. Some poeple don't care. Others do. All preference of course.

Wheels, I'd get a lighter set. JCW's are great, but on the heavy side. Dropping unsprung weight gets you better gains than body weight.

Just a few points I'd add. There propbably a dozen different opinions but those are the ones I decided to share

Good luck with the build!

Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear

I was wondering about that a bit. I saw the flap kit came with one of the aftermarket filters for the JCW kit and read some comments about some having done it on their own. If it is one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the note. I know you can change out the panels but didn't know if you could do all the wiring, etc through the same wheel. I did see in one thread about having to get it reprogrammed, that's doable.

Yeah, it looked a bit more complex (although probably easier to put on) so for my purposes that's why the H-Sport Comp is the lead choice. I wasn't considering the NM until I saw they updated their brackets with the grease points.

I agree on the wheels. I don't like the rash on the side of the rims I have now either. Unfortunately I can't claim there's no way I won't rash new ones but these look a bit extensive. I figure I'll probably get serious about rims around the same time I get new tires, assuming the funds are there.

I'll try to get pics about all these things up after I get back, but it'll be a fair wait. lol

Old 08-30-2014, 05:14 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yep good luck, you've got about $15K in stuff to do... (ask me how I know...lol)

Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Yep good luck, you've got about $15K in stuff to do... (ask me how I know...lol)
I dunno, I think yer pullin' my leg.

How's the Quaife? I've seen mention of it a time or two and seen it once on a site but not a lot of info. Worth the likely money or better to stick with the stock setup if not getting serious?

Is the Light in Sight actually useful? From the pics it looks like it'd be kind of annoying taking that spot on the windshield when not at a light. Is it disorienting any when driving?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:36 AM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
My plan is to get the handling a bit better and the engine output a little higher and then I'm good. I don't have even close to 15k to drop, even over a few years time.

I'm probably going to do the 15% pulley (and plugs), coil overs, front end links, a front strut tower and call it good. Maybe an upgrade on the inter cooler and exhaust at some point. Even that is going to be close to 3K. But the returns will be worth it.

Don't forget, all of those mods will also take up a lot of your time as well. That's my biggest setback since I have a wife and son.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like the LSD, I'm just not a big fan of using the brakes to act like a limited slip diff. (Elsd). The stock open diff sucks. Nothing like a one wheel peel, and the factor LSD is only 25%. The Quaife will almost get to 100%.. I guess it depends on what you want and expect.

The light in sight is actually unobtrusive. I never even notice it until I need it. Well woth the $20 or so bucks.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
I'm probably looking at $5-10k in the next 5-7 years, but might be more or less depending.

I agree on the time bit. I have two young daughters and a tween in the summer. That's why most of the immediate parts are ones that are either relatively simple to DIY or that I can drop off to be done since the MINI isn't our only vehicle.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
I like the LSD, I'm just not a big fan of using the brakes to act like a limited slip diff. (Elsd). The stock open diff sucks. Nothing like a one wheel peel, and the factor LSD is only 25%. The Quaife will almost get to 100%.. I guess it depends on what you want and expect.

The light in sight is actually unobtrusive. I never even notice it until I need it. Well woth the $20 or so bucks.
Interesting. I'll have to keep it in mind in a couple of years to look into more.

Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure where you got the notion that the Quaife is 100% lock. The only truly 100% locking diff is the OS Giken LSD. The Quaife is around 50% lock and stock is 25% lock.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Do 18" wheels fit on the R56 without any clearance issues or mods required? If memory serves my JCW has 17" wheels stock. Just looking to see where the range of options lies. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:42 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Not sure where you got the notion that the Quaife is 100% lock. The only truly 100% locking diff is the OS Giken LSD. The Quaife is around 50% lock and stock is 25% lock.
And that's why I'll have to look into it more when the time comes.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:56 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
Do 18" wheels fit on the R56 without any clearance issues or mods required? If memory serves my JCW has 17" wheels stock. Just looking to see where the range of options lies. Thanks!
If you've seen my thread, you know 18's will fit

Old 08-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
If you've seen my thread, you know 18's will fit
Seen it? Yes. Finished it? No. lol I've seen your 18s mentioned but hadn't caught yet if there were modifications involved or not. Different sized tires right? 18x7/7.5/8?

I get most of the details for wheels but need to read more on some things such as width variations, bolts, etc.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
18x8 +32 offset. No rub. 215/35/18 Falken 453 tires.

Quick Reply: Aelwulf's MINI