General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooper S vs. Countryman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM
UnqFilly82
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooper S vs. Countryman S

I am not a mini owner yet, but have been doing a lot of looking. When I saw they had the Countryman a 4 door model I was excited, but I really don't like it as much as the Cooper. As a part of my research and deciding which model I want, I'd like to get some of your opinions. No matter which model I decide on it will be a manual and S model. Thanks in advance for all the input.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
same motor in a bigger, heavier car = a slower car. I test drove all and found the now discontinued clubman to be the best for me.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:51 AM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I wanted a four door to fit my two large golden retrievers with the ALL4 for winter driving with some pep, so I opted for a MINI Countryman JCW. I chose the MINI CM over other small-SUVs (RAV4, CRV, Maxda, BMW X1) for the fun factor. I was not comparing the Cooper vs Countryman which is like comparing a BMW 3 series with their BMW X3. It really depends what you want it for.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I will say that the loaner Countryman S All4 with automatic transmission I got felt no faster than my non-S Hardtop manual trans-equipped car. Weight, AWD, and automatics all sap your power.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:48 PM
LynneV
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My husband has a Countryman and I have a Cooper. I appreciate the room the Countryman has but it is not as fast and doesn't handle as well.
It is way more fun in sport mode but it is no Cooper.
Just depends on if you need the room or not.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Go with the MINI with the biggest engine.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
I agree with others. really like apples and oranges. I would only recommend the CM if you have practical reasons for needing it: 4 doors, All4 capability, huge boot(by MINI standards), etc. for what it is, a people and "stuff" mover, it's fantastic.

We looked all over for a small SUV and nothing compared to the CM for the fun and quirky factors. After 20k miles, we absolutely love our CM JCW.

Now, at the same time, I can't recommend the 2014 MCS (I assume you are looking at the new F56 hardtop?). IMO, it has lost a LOT of the MINI flavor. It's really just a small BMW-it's the first of several BMW's to be built on the same platform. I drove a 2014 MCS...twice, before buying my 2013 hardtop JCW....

However, for pure driving fun, there's no comparison of a CM over an MCS (even a 2014 model), IMO

Old 07-09-2014, 04:37 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2012 countryman s fwd, my wife has a 2013 hardtop cooper s. Both are manuals, but we have two kids so I opted for the roomier countryman. I really love my car, and it's lots of fun to drive, but it's not as fast as my wife's hardtop. I like having a bit more practical car, that's still fairly quick. I'm modding my countryman to pep it up, and my wife likes her hardtop just the way it is. Either way your going to have a lot of fun.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
UnqFilly82
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countrymanman
I have a 2012 countryman s fwd, my wife has a 2013 hardtop cooper s. Both are manuals, but we have two kids so I opted for the roomier countryman. I really love my car, and it's lots of fun to drive, but it's not as fast as my wife's hardtop. I like having a bit more practical car, that's still fairly quick. I'm modding my countryman to pep it up, and my wife likes her hardtop just the way it is. Either way your going to have a lot of fun.

The lack of power/speed is really my main concern. I just had a baby a few months ago and the CM S would be more practical, but I'm a speed girl, which is why I'm leaning towards the MC S. Like you my husband has the practical family vehicle. I know I really need to go test drive both, just haven't been able to get to a dealership yet.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:02 AM
DoubleDog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by UnqFilly82
The lack of power/speed is really my main concern. I just had a baby a few months ago and the CM S would be more practical, but I'm a speed girl, which is why I'm leaning towards the MC S. Like you my husband has the practical family vehicle. I know I really need to go test drive both, just haven't been able to get to a dealership yet.
If you can find one you might also look at the Clubman. They are bigger than the Cooper and smaller than the Countryman. They do *not* have 4 doors (a plus IMHO) but do have a small side door on the passenger side. They also have the barn doors in the back - love them!

I bought a Clubman because there is plenty of room for two dog crates in the back that each fit a 65+ pound dog.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleDog
If you can find one you might also look at the Clubman. They are bigger than the Cooper and smaller than the Countryman. They do *not* have 4 doors (a plus IMHO) but do have a small side door on the passenger side. They also have the barn doors in the back - love them!

I bought a Clubman because there is plenty of room for two dog crates in the back that each fit a 65+ pound dog.
+1

Yep, I test drove and test fitted all for storage, Clubman may be "smaller" than a CM but it's storage area work far better , no need to lay down the seats but if you do then it really beats the CM as the storage is flat . But if you check them out in person you will see what I mean.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
OH, this changes everything. So it sounds like you folks already have the vehicle to tote the kid around....well, then it's a no-brainer....go with a non-Countryman MINI !

Now, I heartily agree with those recommending the Clubman....It's by far my favorite Mini. I don't think you can order them anymore due to the redesign coming up, but I'm sure there are Clubman S units at dealers everywhere. I really hate that they are going to BMW-ize the Clubman...it's going to have 4 doors now and be fitted off the new F56 chassis....it's a real shame. The Clubman has always been the quirkiest and coolest of the MINIs, IMO.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:07 PM
UnqFilly82
1st Gear
Countrymanman: Even though the CM isn't as quick as the MC, do you still feel it can "get out of it's own way" and has good pickup when getting on the interstate?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Countrymanman: Even though the CM isn't as quick as the MC, do you still feel it can "get out of it's own way" and has good pickup when getting on the interstate?
Those with an S would have more experience than I, but I have driven numerous CMS models and it can certainly get out of it's own way and does fine on interstate ramps. The base model, not so much. I had one the other day as a loaner, and it was an automatic....definitely needs more ponies....

Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Wait for the F56 5 Door.. 2 Liter Engine vs 1.6 Liter Engine (CM) and better MPG in the F56.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:04 PM
DoubleDog
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
Those with an S would have more experience than I, but I have driven numerous CMS models and it can certainly get out of it's own way and does fine on interstate ramps. The base model, not so much. I had one the other day as a loaner, and it was an automatic....definitely needs more ponies....
I drive a Justa with a manual, it has plenty of get 'em when you use the gears I drove a rental automatic on vacation and there is a big difference, it was sluggish.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Ripnem
Neutral
I've got the manual countryman S, a 2011 that I've had over a year. Coming from 23 years in a pickup, it's a rocket ship. Out of the hole, it's doggish, unless you really get after it and it's still a tad slow. On the highway, I sure don't have any issues. I mean, other than being able to get the older guys around here, in their high end sedans, that always seem to want to race, back off at 99 like they have governors. Ha! more damn fun in this car and hauls a load of carpentry tools. Just don't open all the windows with a semi-clean table and mitre saws in the back.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 PM
got-m1ni
2nd Gear
I have one of each. I enjoy driving them both equally. The Countryman ALL4 S does not seem that "slow" to me vs. my Cooper S. The Cooper S is more nimble and handles better obviously compared to the Countryman. Won't lie, my Countryman doesn't have the sports suspension so it doesn't handle well, but I believe it accelerates nicely. The downside to the Countryman is the size of the gas tank I am only averaging 27mpg and can go about 270 miles on a tank of gas mixed driving and the Cooper S I can get 38mpg and over 450 miles on a tank of gas

Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LynneV
My husband has a Countryman and I have a Cooper. I appreciate the room the Countryman has but it is not as fast and doesn't handle as well.
It is way more fun in sport mode but it is no Cooper.
Just depends on if you need the room or not.
I just bought my wife a Countryman S, auto. It does get up and go in sport mode, but as LynneV says, it doesn't handle as well. There's a LOT of body roll in corners and I plan to go over the suspension in the future.

By contrast, my R56 JCW with sport suspension sticks to the road like a train on tracks. It is a little bit of a pain with the kids' car seats in the back though. So if you need more room, the countryman would be the choice, but if you're building it, pay extra and get the suspension beefed up.

But no matter what you do, get the Mini.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
We have a CMS and and a Cooper S (R53). Although my wife's CMS is an auto, it still feels faster than my gen1 manual. But that's not the biggest differentiating factor between the two. The CMS rides high, like a small SUV and the Cooper is really low to the ground. The R53 gives me a "faster" sensation at the same speed. In the CMS it's easy to get over 80 mph and not even realize it. Like others have stated, the Cooper S, out handles the CMS. I have not driven the gen 3 Cooper S, so I can't give you my opinion on that model. But I bet it is much faster than both my MINIs.
Definitely test drive both and take note of the height.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by got-m1ni
I have one of each. I enjoy driving them both equally. The Countryman ALL4 S does not seem that "slow" to me vs. my Cooper S.
Interesting. Do they both have manuals, both autos, or one of each?

Maybe the auto ALL4 that I drove was badly thrashed--because it didn't seem any faster than my manual Justa.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:00 AM
got-m1ni
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Interesting. Do they both have manuals, both autos, or one of each? Maybe the auto ALL4 that I drove was badly thrashed--because it didn't seem any faster than my manual Justa.
CooperS is manual and Countryman is auto. I had a 2013 non S auto and that thing was sluggish (can't comment on manual non-S). So compared to the auto Justa countryman clearly wins for me. Compared to my CooperS manual I would say comparable but obviously a tad slower due to weight consideration but I wouldn't say it's extremely sluggish by any means. I can stomp on it and it goes!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:37 PM
UnqFilly82
1st Gear
That's the other thing I'm not crazy about with the countryman is the height...if that's the way I go, first thing to be changed is lowering springs!

Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
got-m1ni
2nd Gear
I think you'll be happier in a cooper s hardtop vs a countryman. Sounds like you need speed and handling plus the fuel economy just really sucks in a countryman!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 AM
UnqFilly82
1st Gear
Thank you everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it. I have decided on a Countryman S with the JCW Exterior package. :-)

Quick Reply: Cooper S vs. Countryman S