Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

'13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?

Hi Everyone,

So I just took delivery of my '13 Auto JCW the other day. I love her She's so much more fun to drive than my base Mini I use to drive.

However, I was a bit surprised when I took delivery and saw that it did not come with the paddles. Obviously, I ordered my JCW in Auto. So I went back to Mini's website today to see if I missed something - like an option to order the paddles, or a special steering wheel I needed, or another package I needed, etc..... but it doesn't appear that way
Under the auto trans option description on Mini's build site it specifically says - "This Aisin 6 speed can change gears automatically or let you control the shift points using F-1 style steering wheel mounted pattle shifters". That's of course the option I chose.

You can see in the pic below there are no paddles. However, when I reach behind the wheel and touch the back of it, I can feel 2 holes right where the paddles would theoretically go.I really want the paddles Please tell me I don't have to order another JCW

Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
thats weird... this is how they look on my gf's cooper s

oh and congrats on the new car, cant wait to see you driving aorund btw i'll trade seats with you!? :-P i'll give you $500 cash on top too i have the leatherette seats

let me know if you get the same cold start rattle that sounds like a leaf is stuck somewhere noise

Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I read, somewhere on these forums that the factory installed the wrong steering wheel on some automatic transmission Ss and JCWs.

Do a search here for that, and tell your dealer.

Dave

Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
CZ Mate
3rd Gear
Ya I would call your dealer and figure out what's going on.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by JackMan017
when I reach behind the wheel and touch the back of it, I can feel 2 holes right where the paddles would theoretically go.
The paddles need a cutout area in the steering wheel, not just screw holes (it is not the same wheel as for a manual). Is it smooth in back, or an empty area that a paddle would fill up?

Factory JCW cars come with a steering wheel with red stitching. Since this is the first year for JCW automatics, I'm guessing that they haven't started making a red stitch steering wheel with cutouts for paddles. That would be a real shame. They may be able to swap it out for a standard all-black wheel with shifters. Is there anything on the configurator or website (for a factory JCW), or your order sheet that says that it should have paddle shifters? If so, you are entitled to getting them.

Last edited by rkw; 10-25-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Those holes are for the torx screws that hold the cruise control and audio buttons and trim pieces in place. When there was a batch a MCS' in 2011 after the engine update that were produced without the paddle shifters, maybe it happened again.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM
inlieu
2nd Gear
Is your girlfriend's a right-hand drive?

Originally Posted by absoluteczech

oh and congrats on the new car, cant wait to see you driving aorund btw i'll trade seats with you!? :-P i'll give you $500 cash on top too i have the leatherette seats

let me know if you get the same cold start rattle that sounds like a leaf is stuck somewhere noise

Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
Originally Posted by inlieu
Is your girlfriend's a right-hand drive?
i just used a generic picture

Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Is there anything on the configurator or website (for a factory JCW), or your order sheet that says that it should have paddle shifters? If so, you are entitled to getting them.

I believe so. When I clicked "auto transmission" for the JCW on Mini's build site, it gave me a description of what the auto entails. And in that description says:

"This Aisin 6 speed can change gears automatically or let you control the shift points using F-1 style steering wheel mounted pattle shifters".

I'm going to give my dealer a call.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:17 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I predict that you'll be given a choice to convert to paddle shifters, but the steering wheel will also be changed to the standard one without red stitching.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Chilli_Red
1st Gear
JCW Auto Steering Wheel

Hi, Here is the Steering Wheel on my wife's July 2012 Build Cooper S Coupe. Full Red Stitching and Auto Paddle Shifters.
So there should be no problem getting one from your dealer.

Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails '13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?-steering-wheel-jcw.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
I predict that you'll be given a choice to convert to paddle shifters, but the steering wheel will also be changed to the standard one without red stitching.
I would love for this statement to come true. I hope it does!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chilli_Red
Hi, Here is the Steering Wheel on my wife's July 2012 Build Cooper S Coupe. Full Red Stitching and Auto Paddle Shifters.
So there should be no problem getting one from your dealer.

Hope this helps

Thank you, that sure does

Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear

Thanks Czech.
Yeah, that's what I figured it should look like inside my JCW. I think Mini just goofed? Hopefully I'll have them soon.
I love these seats
See you around!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JackMan017
Thanks Czech.
Yeah, that's what I figured it should look like inside my JCW. I think Mini just goofed? Hopefully I'll have them soon.
I love these seats
See you around!
btw let me know if you get any weird rattles in the mornings like i do

Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Update - It's been approx. two weeks since I took delivery. Nothing has been resolved. The day after I took delivery, I immediately notified my dealership and MiniUSA of the mistake Mini has made.

I'm frustrated & disappointed. Dealing with both MiniUSA & my dealership. MiniUSA told me over the phone today "it would take 2-6 months to do a "retro-fit" to put the paddles for my car. 2-6 months?! 2-6 months?! I said to her that was 100% unacceptable to wait 2-6 months and be given a "retro-fit" system for my vehicle. I simply want exactly the way the car is suppose to come from Mini. Unreasonable? She told me the alternative would be to request a new vehicle. As for my dealership, they do not call me back. They tell me hurricane sandy slowed everything down, and they have a "New Mini rep" so things we'll take a while, blah blah blah - just bunch of BS. What do I do? It took a little over 2 months to order my vehicle and take delivery of it. I'm not sure what to do at this point. My dealership is useless. If I treated my clients this way, I'd have no work. Which also means I would not have the privelege of owning this $35k vehicle. Crazy.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
jet127
1st Gear
Hi Jack,

This is totally unacceptable. I also ordered an Auto JCW Coupe and after reading this I am a bit worried that it may not have the paddle shifter. I am expecting delivery by end of the month so I'll let you know.

Hope everything gets resolved soon.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jet127
Hi Jack,

This is totally unacceptable. I also ordered an Auto JCW Coupe and after reading this I am a bit worried that it may not have the paddle shifter. I am expecting delivery by end of the month so I'll let you know.

Hope everything gets resolved soon.
Just be sure to check the car as soon as you go to the dealer for delivery and don't accept it or sign any papers without seeing them on there.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:01 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
I would keep pestering miniusa, how can it take 2-6 months to order a new steering wheel?? that's bs!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 AM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
I would keep pestering miniusa, how can it take 2-6 months to order a new steering wheel?? that's bs!
I know. It really is. The paddles definitely make the car more enjoyable to use. I'm keeping on top of MiniUSA and the dealership. I will keep everyone posted.

On a side note, no noise of any rattling. But then again I'm not the most observant person at 7:00am I'll keep an ear out for it.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
i actually got mine finally resolved! took my car back in for a 2nd water pump issue, but it turned out to be a friction plate. once they replaced that, my rattling in the morning went away

Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
i think this meme is appropriate

Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Mini///M
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a couple at the dealership without the paddles. No salesmen could explain why.

BTW shameless plug... If anyone wants to do the retrofit, I have a normal paddleshift steering wheel FS in the Marketplace.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
i think this meme is appropriate

Seriously! lol.

Even Mini///M's seeing them roll onto the lots without the paddles.
I wonder how many vehicles Mini has done this too? This is going to be a pretty big deal.

I'll keep everyone posted on any new events.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
Try social media (assuming they have them) post it on their Facebook page and on twitter

Quick Reply: '13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?