Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Program key in R53, how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy all the keys you want off Ebay but they won't start your car no matter what you do. Period.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Dedbeat0321
1st Gear
I'm doing this tonight. awesome.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
One reminder....gen1 mini's have 2 different keys...the pre 2005, and the 2005+ (facelift) 3 button key (mini wings plus 2 buttons=3).
the procedures are a bit different....

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
joesee
1st Gear
I fear the worst has happened

Sooo.... I came home from a flight from Canada last Friday and found both passenger and driver side windows ALL the way down and the sunroof open all the way. I could not believe my eyes. I still don't know how this is possible unless right before i was out of range i magically hit the combination to roll them down!? This wasn't the first time I've came out to my car with the windows and sunroof open. I figured the first couple of times it was a fluke. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyway...

It sat there for 2 weeks like that. It rained.. when I got in the car there was water everywhere. I immediately noticed my remote was not working. I figured the battery died. Then driving the next day while stopping, some water was dripping out of the bottom of the rear view mirror. After reading this thread it sounds like the receiver is in the mirror.

Does anyone have ANY information on the receiver.. how to get to it, where to possibly get a replacement.. I finally figured out how to lock the doors today so that was a plus, but it looks like it's dead.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Brisby
3rd Gear
Yikes, hope you got that worked out by now, Joesee.

I just wanted to post here about my experience with getting a new master key for my 2002 R53. I bought the car from the original owner, but they had lost the master key at some point. Just before I showed up to get the car, their replacement master key arrived in the mail. I went to my local dealer, MINI of Grand Rapids, and initially they told me the key would be $105 to program, so I figured I'd just go without for the time being. A week later, I drove my father to that same dealership so he could pick up his new Countryman. Ashley, the girl who works at the service desk, said she'd program my key for free since our family have purchased two cars from them in the past! So I made an appointment (it takes longer than you'd think!), and here I am, waiting in the showroom while they take care of things.

Just wanted to share, and say thanks to Ashley at MINI of Grand Rapids! I'll definately be returning there for all of my service needs! Wow, I sound like a commercial...

Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM
sal45
1st Gear
I have an '04 MCS (11/03) and I guess both of my keys are dead! Pulled out the batteries, replaced with new, and checked to see the red light on cb when pushed. Light came on, but no luck with the button pushing. Guess I ave to get a reprogam ;(

Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Starflyer
Neutral
Originally Posted by dickdavid
Here's something I found on another forum.

MODEL
R50 (Cooper), R52 (Convertible), R53 (Cooper S) from 07/04 production

SITUATION
Remote control bar codes are no longer supplied with new vehicles

CAUSE
On vehicles produced 07/2004 and later, a new remote initialization procedure is required.

PROCEDURE
Initialize remote key as follows:

1.) Close all doors

2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key

3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)

4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds

6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

DISCLAIMER: I've never done this so I don't know if this will work or mess up your car. Good luck.
I bought a new programable key and used the above procedure and wonder of wonders, it worked. Today I tried using the other key I had that also work. Now it no longer does although the new key's buttons work fine.

Does programing a new key change the working of the remote button operation so that my old key no longer has workable buttons. Yes, it does start the car the old fashion way and it will unlock the doors if inserted in the door lock.

Should I have immediately reprogramed my old key right after I programed the new key? Is it too late to do anything about it? I'm not buying anymore $150 programable keys.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Starflyer
Should I have immediately reprogramed my old key right after I programed the new key?
Yes; reprogramming one key will deactivate all others.
No biggie, tho: just repeat the process and program both at the same time.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Starflyer
Neutral
Originally Posted by TimL
Yes; reprogramming one key will deactivate all others.
No biggie, tho: just repeat the process and program both at the same time.
OK, should I do it in any particular order? The reason I asked is after finding out the original key got screwed up, I tried to reprogram that key earlier today using the same procedure and it didn't work.

IF what you said above it is true, I would think my attempt to reprogram my original key would have "fixed" that key and deactivated my replacement key, but my replacement key buttons still work.

So, if the order doesn't matter, then will I ONLY get the conformation "lock/unlock" after the second key has gone through this procedure?

I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I first ran the procedure with my replacement key, I intentionally put my original "good" key in a different location (about 100' away) so that the programing procedure would not effect it the original key.

I would love to have 2 working remote control keys, but can live with only one since both keys start the engine. I certainly don't want to buy another $150 key.

Further edit:

I did use TimL's procedure above and it did work. I bought my key from my local Mini dealer. While I can say for sure, I assume the "cut" slot is different for other Mini's. Otherwise, any Mini key would open any other Mini EVEN if it wasn't programed to lock/unlock the doors. I programed the key myself and now I have 2 working keys for my previously owned '05 Mini.

Last edited by Starflyer; 11-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
04MINIjcw
Neutral
Remote and Alarm stopped working after I unplugged the battery

I have read several forums here and I tried everything but nothing worked for me.

So I have a 2004 Mini Copper S JCW. When I bought the car both remote and alarm worked but after I unplugged to battery and out a new one in my remote and alarm dont work anymore. Any ideas? Thank You

Here is a link that will explain some things about my car:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...per-s-jwc.html

Old 11-20-2012, 11:01 AM
04MINIjcw
Neutral
I have read several forums here and I tried everything but nothing worked for me.

So I have a 2004 Mini Copper S JCW. When I bought the car both remote and alarm worked but after I unplugged to battery and out a new one in my remote and alarm dont work anymore. Any ideas? Thank You

Here is a link that will explain some things about my car:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com...per-s-jwc.html

Old 01-06-2013, 06:39 AM
rough68fish
3rd Gear
2005 Cooper S - worked for me

I bought my S used and it only had one key. I bought a key from the dealer for $150 and asked about having them program it. I had already seen this post so I figured they do it for free, nope wanted $127 to program the key.

I did when I got home with both keys, the forum pays for itself yet again.

Last edited by rough68fish; 01-06-2013 at 06:40 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Dezzmo
Neutral
I bought my 05 MCS 3 months ago and the PO informed me that the keys would not lock/unlock the doors remotely. So after doing a little research on this forum I found this very helpful thread on the subject but as many times as I did I simply could not reprogram both keys.

So let's just say that my issue is not in reprogramming the keys but that something else is causing the problem.

Any advice would be most helpful

Old 05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
t4r6n
2nd Gear
after several attempts it worked on my 05 MCS. Wasn't reading the directions properly. Gotta push both buttons down at the same time. Thanks NAM for another notch on my DIY belt.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 PM
QUICKONE
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 cooper s key fob

1. Get in car and close door
2. Put new key in ignition and turn to first position or first click then turn back to off and pull key out
3. Push unlock button on key and hold down
4. While button is pressed down press center / lock button on key 3 times
And on third time release both buttons at the same time.
5. Car will lock and unlock itself within 1 to 2 seconds after.
Procedure is complete

Repeat steps 3 and 4 for a second key immediately after
Once car unlocks and locks itself all is done

This works for 2005-2006 hardtop and up to 2008 Convertible R52 ONLY.

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 05-08-2017 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rrkerri (09-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2015, 03:23 AM
Grumpysquirrel
Neutral
This is true. The one I bought on eBay that they swore up and down would work screwed up my electrics. It would make my door locks cycle AS I was driving, and I'm convinced it ate my radio (immobilized) All this after I had it cut properly (matrix) and the dealer programmed it for me gratis. I still haven't been able to get my radio to power on even using the OEM key. At least I'm not worried some strange electric thing will happen. Stick with an OEM key.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:06 PM
doxbike
1st Gear
Well, my local mini service guy told me to bring the new key and he'd program it for me in 10 seconds, which he did. However, when I got home and tried the original key, it would start the car but not operate the locks. Came on here, found this thread and re-programmed the original key-working fine. Thanks again NAM-shoulda just come here first

Old 07-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Zoomzoom67
Neutral
2004 mini cooper R53. Key fobs will not work, replaced with new batteries, red light does not come on either. Was told by previous owner, sensor issue. I thought I'd try to reprogram first before spending big money. Both my key fobs only have one button for lock and unlock so the the instructions are not applicable Any suggestions?

Last edited by Zoomzoom67; 07-15-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoomzoom67
2004 mini cooper R53. Key fobs will not work, replaced with new batteries, red light does not come on either. Was told by previous owner, sensor issue. I thought I'd try to reprogram first before spending big money. Both my key fobs only have one button for lock and unlock so the the instructions are not applicable Any suggestions?
Wait- the red LED on both remotes doesn't come on with a push of either button? That means the remote board is dead in some way as far as I know. I do key repair on MINI keys and can have a look at one or both for you and maybe fix them. The procedure for the early two button keys is different. A new key requires that the car be hooked to the dealer programming computer (or independent BMW coder type person's computer). There is no magic button push sequence to pair these keys with the car for the first time. There is a re-pairing procedure if the key and the car lose that connection. More info at this website (not written by me):

https://sites.google.com/site/minian...moving-forward

Val

Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 PM
Zoomzoom67
Neutral
Hi Val
Unfortunately no red blinking light. Thanks for the response. I was afraid it was something serious. (It's a single button fob) so looks like I will be taking it in. Again thanks for the help.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:26 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoomzoom67
Hi Val
Unfortunately no red blinking light. Thanks for the response. I was afraid it was something serious. (It's a single button fob) so looks like I will be taking it in. Again thanks for the help.
After you get the quote from the dealer for the cost of a new remote key plus the car programming charge so the remote will actually work, pick yourself up off of the floor and send me an e-mail to "minikeyhospital@earthlink.net" and we'll discuss your options for getting your current keys repaired. Cheaper than the dealer and if I don't think I can get it fixed there's no charge.

Val

Old 02-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Fatandre
3rd Gear
Hey guys.
I have this problem with my central locking. I was switching the ignition switch in my car. I took the battery out and did the job. After that my centra locking via key stopped working. I can start the car and function normally, but both of my keys just dont open or close the car.
Any ideas? A bad fuse or anything?
The central locking works when I use the key in the door
Both keys were working before I disconnected the battery.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM
shocku992
1st Gear
Thank You! I was just on the phone with the Mini Dealership looking to get a new key. They said they'd provide a piece of paper that told me how to program the key, and I didn't have to pay for them to do it. I figured someone on here would know how, so I just tried it with my old key. The key has never worked. I took it apart, soldered the bad battery connection and tried the key to no avail. I figured I'd have to buy a new key.

Just tried this and it worked! Saved me $200! For the first time I have a working key fob.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:14 AM
madcanvis
3rd Gear
Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dickdavid
Here's something I found on another forum.

MODEL
R50 (Cooper), R52 (Convertible), R53 (Cooper S) from 07/04 production

SITUATION
Remote control bar codes are no longer supplied with new vehicles

CAUSE
On vehicles produced 07/2004 and later, a new remote initialization procedure is required.

PROCEDURE
Initialize remote key as follows:

1.) Close all doors

2.) Switch the ignition switch to KL-R (first turn), switch back off within 5 seconds and remove the key

3.) Within 30 seconds, press and hold the unlock button and at the same time, press and release the lock button (3) times. (Must be completed within 10 seconds)

4.) Release both buttons. The doors will lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5.) If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-4 within 30 seconds

6.) Switching the ignition to KL-R completes the initialization

DISCLAIMER: I've never done this so I don't know if this will work or mess up your car. Good luck.
After not driving much...maybe discharged FOBs
This method...steps 1-6 worked for me also.
Thanks dickdavid!!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
I've tried this method along with all the others I've seen, still doesn't work....
Before you got your key synced, did your doors unlock when you removed your key from the ignition?

Quick Reply: Electrical Program key in R53, how?