Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Getrag Manual Gearbox rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getrag Manual Gearbox rebuild

Is there a place that can rebuild the 6 speed trans for 2nd Gen cars?
Has anyone had it done?
I know the 1st gen manual boxes failed often.
Any leads greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Hi saved this awhile ago they are in England but seemed to have good shipping and parts so maybe they can help. Is it synchros or bearings if just bearings then finding them here should be possible synchros might be harder ford focus st used same gearbox for a bit did you do the LSD I did a wavetrac in mine not a bad job gear box looked straight forward enough. If you are in north east i have a basic 6ton press if needed. the ebay store is mini-gearboxes-limited

http://www.ebay.com/usr/mini-gearbox...p2047675.l2559

Old 07-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
I see you did custom double catch can, thought you would get a laugh out of this test valve cover I keep meaning to finish the carbon fiber version with active vacuum control you should see the hose mess.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Thanks for the offer. I'm in N CA.
VC Looks wild, I like it.
My relatively new VC is seeping in that area. Can I buy that set up an just rip off my old one way valve?
Never heard of Wavetrac. I really need a LSD and OS Giken was to be my choice although Quaife would be fine.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
After reading about the Waetrac, it's seems to be the best of 3 worlds; no clutches, drives the at least one wheel always and never needs service.
Where have these guys been hiding?
What did u pay for yours and where?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Good old Cali. On the V-cover check the connections I had some trouble for a bit on my N14 wasn't obvious.

I like the Wavetrac I think the Mini Team run them. There is a good write up from a ford person who tried a Quiafe as well http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...ferential.html also check out the how to. there is a race kit but then it would require rebuilds.
I like how it powers out of turns tucking in the rear, its a balanced setup, I also think it helps when I take a turn too hot and dump speed off throttle. With good tires you jump instead of spin from stop. I got mine from Wavetrac, you can get them for a bit less from distributors. There was also an Mfactory helical LSD that was like 500 for a while I think its a bit more now.

On the install there were no shims below the bearings and I checked the preload by puttung the cover on and using three sets of feeler gauges. I did gently heat the case with a heat gun but just a little it wasnt hard to get the races out. I was tempted to just leave races but new bearings should be a set I use name brand off brand do sometimes get seconds even if they come from the same place. use the expensive sealant.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM
MonzMini
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone know what year svt focus had the same getrag 6-speed? Desperately searching for those synchros...

Old 10-15-2016, 05:09 PM
SC_77
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MonzMini
Does anyone know what year svt focus had the same getrag 6-speed? Desperately searching for those synchros...
'02-04' SVT Focus had the Getrag. I had one. Miss her.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:42 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
This is a good SVT link for info

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...on-thread.html

seems there must be a way to get synchros altough Getrag doesnt offer any, one of the listings has a kit but the seal bearing kit alone is enough to make getting a spare box a better option. If you know the local trans part supplier that shops use you could take the synchros to the counter and see if they have anything. or perhaps a shaft set from a box that got messed up.

Sad of Getrag to not offer spares,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 10-22-2016, 09:05 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
I'd try giving these guys a shout. If they don't have it maybe they can find it.
http://www.onestopgearboxshop.com/
https://www.autogear.uk.com/

Old 10-22-2016, 12:17 PM
MonzMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Euler-Spiral
This is a good SVT link for info

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...on-thread.html

seems there must be a way to get synchros altough Getrag doesnt offer any, one of the listings has a kit but the seal bearing kit alone is enough to make getting a spare box a better option. If you know the local trans part supplier that shops use you could take the synchros to the counter and see if they have anything. or perhaps a shaft set from a box that got messed up.

Sad of Getrag to not offer spares,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thank you for the info. I got ahold of every shop and warehouse I could find and came up with nothing... Think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and buy a new one in anticipation of it dying.
Thanks again guys.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
If the box isnt out yet it could be the front bearing, there is no pilot bearing in the flywheel for the shaft and Ive got a box with a front bearing thats worn but the synchro teeth are still there and not awful cant be sure of the wear as Ive got no specs for synchro clearance, its sympton was being just a bit notchy. The shaft should have no play. Its not hard to get to the bearing after cracking the case. I havent sourced one yet but bearings can be found. seals are easy. If this is your main transporter I would just get a box so you can keep going

Old 11-09-2016, 08:38 AM
MonzMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SC_77
'02-04' SVT Focus had the Getrag. I had one. Miss her.
Thank you... they dont sell synchros for the svt either!