Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Bi-Modal Exhaust for R56

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi-Modal Exhaust for R56

Hello everyone,

Came across the F56 Bi-Modal exhaust system. What there are doing here is adding an exhaust cut-out valve, which can be opened/closed wirelessly through Bluetooth. I think Mini is providing a wireless Bluetooth remote. I think it sounds awesome.

Does anyone know, if it can be installed in the R56-S?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:45 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its likely you could adapt the system but it would take some fabrication and fiddling. I doubt retrofitting the system onto a R56 would be a bolt-on affair

Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by R53Warrior
Its likely you could adapt the system but it would take some fabrication and fiddling. I doubt retrofitting the system onto a R56 would be a bolt-on affair
That's what I realized yesterday, when I saw the exhaust system in the F56.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
There are aftermarket companies that offer valvetronic exhausts. There are pricy as would be the one for the F56. One example is from iPE:

http://www.ipe-f1.com

I highly doubt that the F56 would directly fit to the R56. It would probably require extensive modification, so much so that it would be cost prohibitive.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here is a post for someone selling the IPE valvtronic system for the R56

http://forums.mini-mods.com.au/showt...-R56-R58-3-500

He is in Australia.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:14 AM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
Lots to choose from for valved exhausts

Cargraphicts(germany)
IPE(taiwan)
Armytrix(taiwan)
FI-E(taiwan)

Or you can install QTP electronic exhaust cutout, my friend has it on his R57, doesn't add power, but damn its loud and cheap. sounds not that good though, it was installed just after the downpipe, before the resonator

The valved exhaust can run you 2000-3000$ (turboback)

Check out my car at
http://hawknpoke.com/society/threads...r-jcw-gp2.509/

has the spec list there

Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AbsoluteAuto
Lots to choose from for valved exhausts Cargraphicts(germany) IPE(taiwan) Armytrix(taiwan) FI-E(taiwan) Or you can install QTP electronic exhaust cutout, my friend has it on his R57, doesn't add power, but damn its loud and cheap. sounds not that good though, it was installed just after the downpipe, before the resonator The valved exhaust can run you 2000-3000$ (turboback) Check out my car at http://hawknpoke.com/society/threads...r-jcw-gp2.509/ has the spec list there
I had no idea that there were so many companies doing this. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Also Garbino, which I think is also Taiwan?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 AM
nekky
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aelwulf
Also Garbino, which I think is also Taiwan?
That's what I want...

Old 09-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Mayfair
2nd Gear
The Garbino does sound very good!!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Yeah it does. But with the vids so far personally liked the iPE a smidge more, and is supposedly a hair cheaper. Either of them would be great!

Old 09-23-2014, 02:43 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clubman is perfectly set up for a dual mode exhaust. remove the rear muffler on one side and replace with a remote valve. Success.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:53 PM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
you could go custom, QTP electric cutout after resonator and before muffler and just flip the open switch when you want more noise, or you can go with an on the fly resonator delete, you get your resonator converted to a helmholtz resonator(google this if you dont know what it is) and then run a QTP electric cutout before it so when its open, your exhaust is resonated and when its closed, your exhaust is unresonated

any exhaust shop could do that for ya

Lots to choose from for valved exhausts

Cargraphicts(germany)
IPE(taiwan)
Armytrix(taiwan)
FI-E(taiwan)

Or you can install QTP electronic exhaust cutout, my friend has it on his R57, doesn't add power, but damn its loud and cheap. sounds not that good though, it was installed just after the downpipe, before the resonator

The valved exhaust can run you 2000-3000$ (turboback)

Check out my car at
http://hawknpoke.com/society/threads...r-jcw-gp2.509/

has the spec list there
how do you know it doesnt make power?

I have seen 40whp+ gains in the curve on other turbo cars going from catless turbo back exhaust to open cutout and dumping it on the floor at the downpipe

cutouts do make power, whether its on a stock car(gains would be similar to a CBE if the cutout is after the cat), lightly modded car(bolt ons) and heavily modified car

Last edited by luigi90210; 09-23-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mayfair
The Garbino does sound very good!!
Garbino is just a rename of power-craft, they are from japan and the original oem of garbino

Old 09-23-2014, 05:26 PM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
Originally Posted by luigi90210
you could go custom, QTP electric cutout after resonator and before muffler and just flip the open switch when you want more noise, or you can go with an on the fly resonator delete, you get your resonator converted to a helmholtz resonator(google this if you dont know what it is) and then run a QTP electric cutout before it so when its open, your exhaust is resonated and when its closed, your exhaust is unresonated

any exhaust shop could do that for ya

how do you know it doesnt make power?

I have seen 40whp+ gains in the curve on other turbo cars going from catless turbo back exhaust to open cutout and dumping it on the floor at the downpipe

cutouts do make power, whether its on a stock car(gains would be similar to a CBE if the cutout is after the cat), lightly modded car(bolt ons) and heavily modified car
Never dynoed it actually, butt dyno said no gains though that maybe because it was vibrating so much lol

Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 PM
luigi90210
2nd Gear
Never dynoed it actually, butt dyno said no gains though that maybe because it was vibrating so much lol
lol the vibrations were throwing off your butt dyno, you might need a recalibration :P

joking aside, from a dig, with the cutout open you might feel a decrease in low end torque(depending on the setup it isnt always the case but in most cases you lose down low) but you will get a better mid and top end

Old 10-31-2014, 12:43 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, wrong section...

Last edited by Gardus; 10-31-2014 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:51 AM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
I think you are in the wrong section?F56 exhaust right?not R56?

That said a lot of companies now have prototypes of the F56 valve exhaust

I used a Meisterschaft with QTP on 6 series, what annoyed me was that i had to hold the button to fully open it and it opens and closes very slowly compared to the Vacuum actuated exhausts valves which are a LOT more expensive and harder to install.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:38 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
back pressure is not your friend with a turbo car , the elec valve muffler is to help non-turbo cars with bottom end.
If a catless DP really wakes up the mini due to faster exhaust why would you want to put a valve in the way.
I agree is sounds great and helps to keep the noise down when you want, but it is hurting your turbo

Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 AM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
The valves are not for performance in any way.

They are there as a way to control volume
So instead of an exhaust that does medium volume all the time, the valved exhaust will be low volume in closed mode and high volume in open mode.

This also enables them to be more free flowing in open mode since there is no sound volume restriction to think about.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
The valves are not for performance in any way.

They are there as a way to control volume
So instead of an exhaust that does medium volume all the time, the valved exhaust will be low volume in closed mode and high volume in open mode.

This also enables them to be more free flowing in open mode since there is no sound volume restriction to think about.
Exactly.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:43 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
silly me.....

from F1 website

Vacuum Valves are featured in our valve systems. The negative pressure generated in the intake manifold of the engine board are utilized with vacuum valves and remote control module to open and close the valves as desired.
Control Module is included with all our systems, simply control by remote to set automatic, open and close modes.
CLOSE mode It helps the induction of car exhaust backpressure and increases torque at low rpm.
OPEN mode A free flow exhaust can bring Formula 1 sound and increase more horsepower at high rpm.
AUTO mode This mode will enable automatic open and close of the valves based on each car owner's individual preferences and driving habits.In this mode, you can set the valve to open and close by detecting various signals, such as boost, depth of gas pedal, rpm, etc.

from iPE
iPE pioneers with the Valvetronic exhaust system which provides an amazing exhaust sound emission while increasing the overall performance of super cars. Our Valvetronic exhaust system is an innovative technology that delivers power and control to the driver's seat. Each internal part of the system is individually designed and produced to fit the designated vehicle.

seams like the term back pressure and performance is used on all of these sites

now for another note

The first problem with a factory or other exhaust systems is that they create back pressure. Back pressure may be acceptable on a normally aspirated car but on a car with a turbocharger it is not. The back pressure in the exhaust will cause the thrust bearing to wear and the more back pressure the quicker the thrust bearing will wear.
Back pressure also prevents your turbo from spooling quickly because the air speed is slowed or blocked

I'm with you on the exhaust , I almost pulled the trigger on the iPE but I did a little research and used my dumb head some....

Old 10-31-2014, 03:46 PM
AbsoluteAuto
1st Gear
I was speaking as a guy who has it installed and has a mechanical engineering degree, trust me while the F1 or NA cars may close the valve for low end torque, but all aftermarket valved exhausts are purely for sound control.

You do not want to be punching while the valve is closed, they reroute the exhaust through maybe a 1.5" or less pipe and go through the baffled side of the muffler.

Also i'm sure that there is a way to set the valves to open at certain rpm in NA cars that helps torque, but I really doubt there would be somebody who would dyno the car just to calibrate that

Old 11-01-2014, 07:28 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
I was speaking as a guy who installed a Varex muffler on his truck, Who is an instrumentation and controls FE

Each their own , I just wouldn't run one on a turbo car is all , my preference is to not damage my turbo......

Happy Motoring and keep it on at least 2 wheels...........

Old 11-03-2014, 03:31 AM
Gardus
2nd Gear
I've just got the dyno charts of the F56 with the valve closed or open (both routes are 65mm diameter). Identical.
I can see how a valved muffler where the quiet route is much smalle and restricted can reduce performance.

On a turbo car like the R56 or F56 a restricive exhaust is always bad, at low rpm too. The turbo pressure spikes at low rpm.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Bi-Modal Exhaust for R56