Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain It's all fun till someone loses a piston

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrrjm
On the Dyno when my 09 JCW was untuned it spiked at 24psi. Most of the time driving I would see 13-18 psi. Sometimes more but only briefly.

I've been one the people to push the JCW as far as it would go. I've been running a tune, billet turbo, FMIC, and so on that peaks at about 28psi safely. By "safely" I mean engine knock, A/F, etc all been in check. This past Thursday I lost cyl 3. I expect a lot of I told you so's. These pistons just cant handle the combustion pressures even if engine knock isn't present.

So the next step for me is to pull the engine and rebuild. I have no regrets because I expected this to happen. I see this as the opportunity to rebuild and start making some serious HP. My next step is 300whp. Yes I will take lots of pictures of the aftermath and the mods as I go along and post results for those who are interested.

Ray
No “I told you so” from me... it’s simple. You pushed with what you had until it wouldn’t push any more.

When it did let loose, you’re doing what you expected to do... rebuild. I think the “I told you so’s” would only go to those that push the crap out of their motors and never get pissed when something lets loose.

Please keep us informed, I removed my RMW tune and reinstalled the Alta tune... the RMW tune may pull a little harder but I’m not in the mood to have to rebuild anything just yet. I’m hoping Alta’s tune is safer.

Send me a PM when you start the rebuild if you don’t mind, I’d like to subscribe to that thread...

Thanks, good luck,

Mark

Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrjm
On the Dyno when my 09 JCW was untuned it spiked at 24psi. Most of the time driving I would see 13-18 psi. Sometimes more but only briefly.

I've been one the people to push the JCW as far as it would go. I've been running a tune, billet turbo, FMIC, and so on that peaks at about 28psi safely. By "safely" I mean engine knock, A/F, etc all been in check. This past Thursday I lost cyl 3. I expect a lot of I told you so's. These pistons just cant handle the combustion pressures even if engine knock isn't present.

So the next step for me is to pull the engine and rebuild. I have no regrets because I expected this to happen. I see this as the opportunity to rebuild and start making some serious HP. My next step is 300whp. Yes I will take lots of pictures of the aftermath and the mods as I go along and post results for those who are interested.

Ray
Ray,

You say that your stock JCW would spike at 24psi and your tuned JCW ran at 28psi safely but how high were the skikes on the tuned version?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Octane
Ray,

You say that your stock JCW would spike at 24psi and your tuned JCW ran at 28psi safely but how high were the skikes on the tuned version?
The spike just before this happened was probably 28.4. Pretty much what happens is I see peak boost at 3000 rpm and it drops to 22-23 at redline. The tune I was running is awesome. Tons of low end torque. I was gonna lower the boost before this happened but too late now. I probably ran this way for 9k miles before this happened.

After the rebuild I'm gonna run this set up for a week then upgrading the a GT28rs. Which I have sitting at the shop now.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Just to be clear I have a Modified Alta turbo on my car now. The stock turbo can't push this kind of boost.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:45 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
So does anybody know how the numbers compare for the JCW stage 1 and the access port stage 1. Are they really close?

I ask because MINI does not beef up the internals when you get a JCW tune so theoretically a stage 1 tune should be similar.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Octane
3rd Gear
Ray,

When you tuned your JCW with the modified turbo and higher boost levels did you get advise or think about adding water/meth injection system?

May be this should go into another thread but I can not remember anyone with a water/meth system installed reporting piston failures.

It seems like there are very few that have reported using water/meth systems but those who do are for the most part also tuning and if they are having the same issues I have not seen it reported.

Just a stab in the dark but maybe a water/meth system would help reduce the piston failure issues through improved octane and reduced heat or maybe not.

Last edited by Octane; 06-11-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I think overall temp contributes hugely. Keeping my car at 165-180 degrees plus the M7 oil cooler I think Ive avoided a lot of possible "failure" moments. Maybe that might help some people. I have never been comfortable with how hot these cars run (yes i know its computer controlled). Hot day, so-so tank of gas, 227deg operating temp plus boost spike equals unhappy motor...

Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Raymazing
I think overall temp contributes hugely. Keeping my car at 165-180 degrees plus the M7 oil cooler I think Ive avoided a lot of possible "failure" moments. Maybe that might help some people. I have never been comfortable with how hot these cars run (yes i know its computer controlled). Hot day, so-so tank of gas, 227deg operating temp plus boost spike equals unhappy motor...
As czar said previoulsy in this thread....water and oil temps are simply fluid temps. Your engine's operating temp is a whole nother animal...cylinder head temp and EGT's...

Old 06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Raymazing
4th Gear
I'm with you thumper... I have a fair knowledge of some thermal dynamics. Combine higher operating temps with carbon build-up and you have a hotspot waiting to happen.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi,

All of this talk about safety, piston failure etc made me think about the BMW motorsport built engines.

BMW builds a purpose built motorsport version of the 1.6l engine. This engine uses a Garret turbo and runs 2.5bar of boost (36psi). The engine is dry sumped, but otherwise the specs (including output) are secret.

This engine is used in the Mini World Rally Championship in both the WRC and S2000 spec cars. The engine is also used in the BMW 320TC in the World Touring Car championship.

Obviously these engines are very different beasts, but they are built from the same starting point. The engine and turbo's need to be rebuilt every 1500km (1000 miles).

However, the fact that they can be engineered to withstand 36psi shows that durable components are out there somewhere. Presumably these pistons and rods are made of "unobtainium" and are for BMW motorsport only. They probably cost as much as our whole cars do. However, it would be interesting to know details about them.

If anyone has a spare $500k, you can buy one of the cars

http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-conte...es-package.pdf

Also, with regards to safety in these tuned engines I'm surprised nobody has discussed octane booster. You should be using the highest octane available eg 93 (or 98RON). However, if you boost the octane a couple of points higher, and leave the tune unchanged (ie you don't tune more aggressively for the raised octane) this introduces a margin of safety.

Higher octane (and better quality fuel) dramatically reduces the risk of detonation, and creates a slower more controlled burn.

If people are worried about damage, then it is well worth using octane boosters as a protective thing, especially under high stress conditions eg on the track etc.

Problem is most of the commercial ones are not much good. There are a couple of good ones though. Toluene (methylbenzene) is available and effective.

Robbo

Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 AM
mrrjm
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Octane
Ray,

When you tuned your JCW with the modified turbo and higher boost levels did you get advise or give thought to adding water/meth injection system?

May be this should go into another thread but I can not remember anyone with a water/meth system installed reporting piston failures.

It seems like there are very few that have reported using water/meth systems but those who do are for the most part also tuning and if they are having the same issues I have not seen it reported.

Just a stab in the dark but maybe a water/meth system would help reduce the piston failure issues through improved octane and reduced heat or maybe not.
I've been running 100 octane race gas until just recently. I had it Dyno's about 6 weeks ago and ever since then I've been having drivability issues. Slight hesitation from time to time. A little worse cold. Not much but noticeable. I ran a lot of Techron injection cleaner but nothing changed. I went back to 93 octane and made a recording and the knock and A/F #'s still looked good. Then I think I screwed up. It got warm upper 90's and I start getting knock codes so I keep out the high boost down. Thursday it was in the 50's so I did a short run in 6th. Never went over 3500 and when slowing to a stop the engine was rough. I limped it home the last 3 miles.

Knock is an issue but I think part of my problem is the combustion pressures at this level. Yes the think was very fast. I knew it was a matter of time. After I install the 28rs I considering Meth/water injection to get me to 300whp. Get great thing with the larger turbo is I should be able to get this HP number with 20 psi +/-. According to the garrett iPhone app just under 20psi.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:44 AM
czar
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Hi,

All of this talk about safety, piston failure etc made me think about the BMW motorsport built engines.

BMW builds a purpose built motorsport version of the 1.6l engine. This engine uses a Garret turbo and runs 2.5bar of boost (36psi). The engine is dry sumped, but otherwise the specs (including output) are secret.

This engine is used in the Mini World Rally Championship in both the WRC and S2000 spec cars. The engine is also used in the BMW 320TC in the World Touring Car championship.

Obviously these engines are very different beasts, but they are built from the same starting point. The engine and turbo's need to be rebuilt every 1500km (1000 miles).

However, the fact that they can be engineered to withstand 36psi shows that durable components are out there somewhere. Presumably these pistons and rods are made of "unobtainium" and are for BMW motorsport only. They probably cost as much as our whole cars do. However, it would be interesting to know details about them.

If anyone has a spare $500k, you can buy one of the cars

http://www.motoringfile.com/wp-conte...es-package.pdf

Also, with regards to safety in these tuned engines I'm surprised nobody has discussed octane booster. You should be using the highest octane available eg 93 (or 98RON). However, if you boost the octane a couple of points higher, and leave the tune unchanged (ie you don't tune more aggressively for the raised octane) this introduces a margin of safety.

Higher octane (and better quality fuel) dramatically reduces the risk of detonation, and creates a slower more controlled burn.

If people are worried about damage, then it is well worth using octane boosters as a protective thing, especially under high stress conditions eg on the track etc.

Problem is most of the commercial ones are not much good. There are a couple of good ones though. Toluene (methylbenzene) is available and effective.

Robbo
Output for the Mini WRC is: 300hp (304ps)

Output for the 320TC is: 315hp (319ps)

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Start this out with MCS's are what we are talking about here.

CBS, WOW i am really surprised at that comment. Its not like we just said "Hey everyone just try this out and see what happens". We were tuning on these for a long long time before you all knew about it. Besides our 4 shop cars over that period of time that we tuned on, we did do a few customer cars to help with proving tuning. We have numerous customers that do track days and autocross events on maps we don't supply to normal customers and don't have issues. What we send to customers we feel is very safe. There are enough smart customers out there(you being one of them) that know what knock is and i have NEVER had a call from a customer saying that their map is knocking. Of the hundreds of customer logs i have looked through, i have NEVER seen knock.

For sure we have heard of failures, but we have also heard of failures on stock cars or cars with bolt ons and no tunes. Even a good customer of ours was driving down freeway at cruise speeds and had a piston ring fail. Its 100% expected to have a few failures here and there, but there is always a huge amount of variables to why they fail. Wrong map, wrong fuel, bad gas, fuel pump failure or loss of pressure, over revved, carbon build up, massive crank case blow by, bad injector. All those things are 100% real issues i have heard and seen, and even heard and seen at the dealer level.

Jeff and R&D team,

OK I will admit that comment was perhaps a bit below the belt and was probably triggered by a past negative experience with Alta. I do appreciate the response showing that your tunes were tested extensively behind the scenes before release. I'm not marketing whiz-man, but this is something I would publish more and communicate loudly. Some type of page like a “Power you can trust… a moment with Jeff Perrin,” might be an idea.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
one robin doth not spring announce...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...529-miles.html

therefore statistically meaningless

Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
fastminiz
1st Gear
From "Modern Mini" magazine they explained that the production version JCW engine spec was developed for the MINI Challenge racecars and featured special pistons, strengthened lower-compression cylinder head and head gasket with beefed-up intake valves and seats. Exhaust was revised to reduce back pressure at the point of exhaust gas recirculation and the manifold was redesigned too.

With all this increase in boost can bigger injectors and modified fuel pump address the issues of high cylinder temps ?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by fastminiz
From "Modern Mini" magazine they explained that the production version JCW engine spec was developed for the MINI Challenge racecars and featured special pistons, strengthened lower-compression cylinder head and head gasket with beefed-up intake valves and seats. Exhaust was revised to reduce back pressure at the point of exhaust gas recirculation and the manifold was redesigned too.
That's odd they would publish that info. They are correct about the pistons and the exhaust manifold, but the head and head gasket are the same as the S.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
i drive my mini hard and I have modified it a bunch. should i just plan on ******** a piston soon?

and if I do currently my aftermarket options are pretty limited?

I assuming custom pistons are all i have to choose from?

Last edited by wandrur; 06-17-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: profanity removed
Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by czar
however I will enlighten you all when I get time later today, as to why these engines build so much heat
Might have something to do with having ~10k fireballs per minute going off inside there.

Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
but the head and head gasket are the same as the S.
Not anymore

Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
i drive my mini hard and I have modified it a bunch. should i just plan on ******** a piston soon?

and if I do currently my aftermarket options are pretty limited?

I assuming custom pistons are all i have to choose from?
From the mods listed in your sig I would say your not at any more a risk then most are. It could fail, but I wouldn't stress about it.

An engine build right now is only limited to budget and time. The parts for a quote/ un-quote bullet proof engine are some what available now.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Is it at all possible, poor design not withstanding, that some of these piston failures are due to possible casting flaws?
I can see problems with pushing the envelope beyond design capabilities, but for a stocker to lose it just makes me wonder.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Maugre
Is it at all possible, poor design not withstanding, that some of these piston failures are due to possible casting flaws?
I can see problems with pushing the envelope beyond design capabilities, but for a stocker to lose it just makes me wonder.
It would be really tough to determine if it was a casting flaw, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep in mind this engine was taken as a complete package from Peugeot and has been in use for several years in their 207 line and perhaps others . If one was to check out those forums to see if the same issues are being observed there it might prove interesting .

Randy
M7 tuning

Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Hi,

Just to keep things in perspective, BMW has just released the details of their flagship car, the new M5. Beautiful car, awesome in every respect.

You would think that this is the pinnacle of BMW engineering? However, the R56 JCW makes more hp and nm per litre than the new M5?!?!

That tells you something. The JCW (stock) is pretty maxed out. I think it is the highest output per litre in horsepower of any BMW engine? I've checked it against most of the obvious targets. Obviously the diesels punch out more torque.

Cheers

Robbo

Old 06-18-2011, 05:50 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs

That tells you something. The JCW (stock) is pretty maxed out. I think it is the highest output per litre in horsepower of any BMW engine?
Robbo,

No offense, I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion but I assure you it’s wrong. My JCW is putting out waaaay more HP/TQ than a stock JCW. I assure you the stock JCW is not max’d out.

I’ve got 35K miles on it now and many miles at the track.

Mark

Old 06-18-2011, 01:53 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Robbo,

No offense, I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion but I assure you it’s wrong. My JCW is putting out waaaay more HP/TQ than a stock JCW. I assure you the stock JCW is not max’d out.

I’ve got 35K miles on it now and many miles at the track.

Mark
Hi,

No, I didn't really mean it that way. I was just thinking out loud and musing on the fact that the JCW has the highest specific power of any BMW car, including the hero "M" cars.

Of course you can tune it for more power (and I have). BMW could easily release it with higher power, but they choose not to. They have to find a balance, and it is at the maximum they believe it is safe to release, without the risk of too many component failures that would need replacing under warranty, and potentially costing $$ and damaging the companies reputation.

There are many other cars with similar specific hp and torque figures that are very highly tuned in the aftermarket, and are relatively bullet proof. The suburu WRX and lancer Evo come to mind.

Robbo

Quick Reply: Drivetrain It's all fun till someone loses a piston