Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Prima Mystique & Hydro - Short Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Prima Mystique & Hydro - Short Review

It rained all weekend and my poor PW MINI was just filthy today, so when I got home this afternoon I decided to give her a quick wash.

I own pretty much the entire Prima line but had been QDing with Slick nearly every day so really hadn't had a chance to try these two products til today.

The car is already very slick from the two coats of Epic that are on it. I used my regular old hose water and one bucket with Grit Guard. I put maybe an ounce of Mystique into the water. It has a nice scent and gets slightly sudsy with agitation, but not annoyingly so (I hate having to do a Dawn wash for this reason, the suds drive me and my OCD insane). Mystique has great lubricity and my mitt glided over the paint. All dirt lifted right off except a series of red/pinkish "mystery spots" that have been appearing on both mine and my husband's cars over the past couple of weeks, but a little scrubbing with the mitt took them right off. All other dust, road grime, brake dust, and other crap matted down from the rain floated away and rinsed right off. I didn't even have to scrub at any bugs, which I don't know if it's because of the wax or the wash, but they came right up.

I then used my paint squeegee to get the water off all the glass, and
misted down the entire car (still wet) with Hydro and worked it in with a monster fluffy MF. It was very simple and the car is now crazy shiny. I also used it on my wheels I was sort of testing it to see how much attention I really had to pay to working it into the paint and did part of my roof very carefully, and another part sort of "half-a$$", for lack of a better word, and the half-a$$ side didn't streak, cloud, or get spotty. It appears that as long as you at least spread it around that it's pretty foolproof. It did make the glass sort of streaky but a little Clarity took care of that. Overall I much prefer Hydro to my previous Griot's Spray-On Wax. I prefer the shine of the synthetic on my non-metallic paint and it smells yummy too (sort of tropical)!

I'm very pleased with both products, and the entire Prima line that I've used so far. The only things I have left to try are Amigo and the polishes, which will wait until spring. The entire line gives my car a great shine, and while Griot's products were very high quality, they weren't giving me that high polish look on the non-metallic paint. I'll probably be taking all my unused Griot's over to my brother-in-law

Old 11-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Stringmaster
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a newbie to serious detailing, and just started accumulating product. Since my MINI has been Permaplated, I have to use their wax to keep the warranty (but so far I'm pleased with it). But, I wanted to give another plug for the Prima Slick. It's nice that I can pretty much go over the whole car, paint, trim, plastic, glass, etc., and in about 10-15 minitues, have it looking super clean and spiffy! It rained today, and I was bummed (first time out in the rain), but the Slick took care of it! Looks like I need to order a gallon! I bought some other product from D.P. as well, but haven't needed them yet!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:38 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review. I was happy with how little Mystique is required - 1 ounce per 4 gallons instead of the typical 1 ounce per gallon. Very good cost savings and as you said, minimal suds but maximum glide.
Again nice review, might just have to try the Hydo.

Chuck

Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice write up!