MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Cooper (non S)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

» Latest Main Topics
New Mini S owner
1 Replies, 2 Views
New 2013 Hardtop S
by solus
2 Replies, 57 Views
New mini owner
by LZRBLUE
7 Replies, 68 Views
Alpine Hi Fi?
by karnow
2 Replies, 7 Views
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
mini cooper hood to cooper s hood!?!

okay guys i got a stupid question, i dont think this has been covered that much if at all?!? i have been pm every one and asking instead of posting a thread. some people say yes some people say no the dealership says they have never done it so it is going to be an experiment with no guaranties. so in a nutshell i wanna get a mini cooper new 06 the s is going to be 24000 out the door the normal mini is 20000 so being a broke college student i wanna do the 20000 and mod the hood to the s i was thinking changing out the normal hood with the s hood? anyone know if its possible for sure? ether oem, or carbon fiber aftermarket!? i dont wanna do this if im gonna end up paying more modifying it to an s hood when i can just by an s which i cant afford!?! please help me and my stupid question out!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:37 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to justintime Send a message via Yahoo to justintime
Gallery
when I hit a deer they offered to do that. I declined cause It didnt seem right. but if they said it can be done im sure it can. they handle all the minis bodywork for our local dealership
Old 09-18-2006, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
when I hit a deer they offered to do that. I declined cause It didnt seem right. but if they said it can be done im sure it can. they handle all the minis bodywork for our local dealership
i know im going to be a poser but i really like the look of the s hood! just dont have money for the real deal insurance wise and money! so if i can get the s hood i can be happy!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:43 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
oh by all means I love the hoodscoop. and I like how you can customize it. I just dont want to make either party mad. that might make the autox judges alittle confused too ^__^ they have a carbon fiber s hood on ebay forsale
Old 09-18-2006, 08:51 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
oh by all means I love the hoodscoop. and I like how you can customize it. I just dont want to make either party mad. that might make the autox judges alittle confused too ^__^ they have a carbon fiber s hood on ebay forsale

so the s carbon fiber hood will fit the nomral mini for sure, its not just made for the s cooper is it!? i dont wanna be stuck with a hood that wont go on my normal mini, if this is for sure i think im gonna go order my mini tommorrow!?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to Fatherdeth Send a message via Skype™ to Fatherdeth
Gallery
Garage
Yes, the hood will fit with no problems. I have an article in one of my Go MINI magazines where a guy in Britain took his base model Cooper, and transformed it (visually) into a S model. He just didn't do the engine and tranny swap.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
ya it will forsure fit, theres a couple of guys here I belive that have done it as well? sell the new s hood while its brand new
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
jeez. all this time i was wondering if i could get cooper S performance with a cooper hood...
Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Poser? Hey, if MINI is putting a non-functional hood scoop on the 07-S, why can't you put one on your MC? It's all about Youification and whatever makes YOU happy. Just don't start sticking 'S' badges on there.

Personally, if I were a starving college student, I'd be more worried about food, but hey, I was young once and understand your priorities. LOL!

Good luck.

Join The MetroplexMINI Network:
MetroplexMINI Flickr Group | MetroplexMINI Facebook Group
Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Yeah I have that Go Mini issue too. Dude had a black Mini One and made it to an S (visually) with the badges as well...

Start 30, Keep left over crest into short 4 right plus opens, 60, crest and 6 right plus and don't cut short 6 left minus, 60, line into 2 right minus over bump tightens to hairpin over ditch, Into 6 left long opens over crest, 30, 6 right into 3 left plus long don't cut tightens to 1, into short 1 right plus and short 2 left minus tightens at junction (junction 2 at 0.6kms) 20
Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Itll fit right on without any problems.
Friend of mine did it to his cooper.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:47 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Buy a used S for the $20k. There is nothing more frustrating than looking the part without the equipment to play the part (poseur-city). You're not going stealth, you're blinging up the MC, when you really want the S. Therefore get the S.
BLUBELLE - 9/02 production 2003 MCS IB /W 1,2,3 pkgs, Lapis blue interior, Chrome Trim, Magnecors, NGK Iridium IX, Alta 15% Pulley and CAI, Unichip, Scorpion cat-back,Skid Plate, Rear Fogs, H&R RSS Coilovers, Mini-Madness rear suspension poly bushings, RDR Control Arms and Swaybar, PowerGrids end links. Motoring since 10/18/02. I V-1, do you?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
insurance is cheaper on the mini too right? along with the mods...
Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
4th Gear

Gallery
Yeah I heard insurance is a killer in europe for an S.

Start 30, Keep left over crest into short 4 right plus opens, 60, crest and 6 right plus and don't cut short 6 left minus, 60, line into 2 right minus over bump tightens to hairpin over ditch, Into 6 left long opens over crest, 30, 6 right into 3 left plus long don't cut tightens to 1, into short 1 right plus and short 2 left minus tightens at junction (junction 2 at 0.6kms) 20
Old 09-19-2006, 11:07 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
Now if you could find a way to funnel the air from the scoop to an open intake you might have something there!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:52 AM
6th Gear

Gallery
I was thinking about that actually. seems with the extra space it could be done. also cooper s front braces and stuff could fit as well im guessing?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGCMAN View Post
Buy a used S for the $20k. There is nothing more frustrating than looking the part without the equipment to play the part (poseur-city). You're not going stealth, you're blinging up the MC, when you really want the S. Therefore get the S.
i hate buying used cars because they are always marked up, and its prob gonna be a year or 2 old warrenty running out. Also wont know if the person took care of it or not!?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo101 View Post
and its prob gonna be a year or 2 old warrenty running out.
But that wouldn't matter anyways because your putting your car through a pretty drastic transformation therefore voiding your warranty.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranzo View Post
But that wouldn't matter anyways because your putting your car through a pretty drastic transformation therefore voiding your warranty.
void warranty with a simple hood change?!!? thats dumb if thats the case i wont be able to do anything to it tell warranty is over
Old 09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to amg6975
Gallery
eBay might be a good place to find a Cooper S hood. Hell, for $20,000 you could get a Cooper S attached to it.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
void warranty with a simple hood change?!!? thats dumb if thats the case i wont be able to do anything to it tell warranty is over
s use is this.

Don't worry - changing out the hood won't void your entire warranty. You might get a warranty claim denied if the hood swap caused the problem, but unrelated components will still be covered.

The example I always use is this - If you put in aftermarket headlamps and the headlamp wiring harness melts, don't expect the dealer to replace the harness under warranty. But, if you replace the headlamps and the exhaust system falls out from under the car, you should reasonably expect the exhaust to still be covered under warranty.

Scott
Old 09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave View Post
Now if you could find a way to funnel the air from the scoop to an open intake you might have something there!
Yes the hood is a direct swap, as far as I know frame is exactly the same on both, bolt pattern is exactly the same on both and the locking mechanisms should be the same as well.

Please please please, take the time to do this. $5 at home depot for some metal (duct work section was great for the ALTA CAI box top on my S) some JB weld, screws and use the scoop to direct airflow over the filter. (oh yeah definately do a CAI or HAI (and exhaust) on a naturallly aspirated engine, the sound alone is sooo much better, not to mention power) .

As long as its functional I won't be forced to use my passenger ejection seat against you
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by riquiscott View Post
s use is this.

Don't worry - changing out the hood won't void your entire warranty. You might get a warranty claim denied if the hood swap caused the problem, but unrelated components will still be covered.

The example I always use is this - If you put in aftermarket headlamps and the headlamp wiring harness melts, don't expect the dealer to replace the harness under warranty. But, if you replace the headlamps and the exhaust system falls out from under the car, you should reasonably expect the exhaust to still be covered under warranty.

Scott
that sounds more like it! im scared about getting a mini i do not want to have to take it to the shop all the time like my zx3! and now that my warranty is over on my focus i had alot of out of pocket expense on crappy workmanship. so im nervous this will happen with the cooper! after my warranty is over!?!
Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Former Vendor

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranzo View Post
not true
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Woops! Hehehe... my bad I was looking at the wrong thread. For some strange reason I thought this thread was the one talking about the S engine swap!!! hahahaha... Sorry!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 PM