Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Part Change for the Crankshaft Vibration Damper

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 06:13 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Part Change for the Crankshaft Vibration Damper

My MCS vibration damper/harmonic balancer has been clattering for months. Today I replaced it with a new one and discovered a few changes in the part from the early models. Construction of the new crank pulley is tighter an lighter. The thickness is narrower and the weight has dropped 1 lb. 6 oz. to the current 5 lb. 13 oz.

The swap turned out to be a minor ordeal. Some of the installation & removal tools for the older model damper will not work with the new one. This left me in a pickle with the part removed and only hand tools available. Because the older model pulley holder would not fit the new pulley I had to try all kinds of stupid ways to keep the crank from rotating and not lose my timing mark. In the end, a modified heavy shelf brace became the stop bracket. To make matters worse, the bearing on the installation tool that helps reduce friction when cranking down the pulley, froze, causing a lot of extra effort in getting the job done.

The damper change was successful, no more rattling chain noises from the passenger front wheel well.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:58 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent news!

Just for clarification the "new one" is MINI part number 11-23-7-514-461 which can be sourced from Classic Auto Campus at a cost of $200.00 with the NAM discount correct?

At 20% lighter, this is a great alternative for a lightened system for MINIs build before Jan '05 that want to retain dampening. It is half the price of the Pilo unit which offers dampening and only $50 more than the Alta unit which offers no dampening. Disadvantage is it only comes in the stock diameter, no oversizing like the Pilo or Alta. I know that others will blast this without numbers, but can you tell any performance difference?

Thanks a lot for trying this out!

Old 09-29-2005, 08:30 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Well Randy Webb made me a deal on a used '05 dampener he pulled to install an Alta crank pulley. Should be here next week. Can't wait to get rid of that stupid chatter and see what difference (if any) the reduce weight makes.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:03 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SumWon
Well Randy Webb made me a deal on a used '05 dampener he pulled to install an Alta crank pulley. Should be here next week. Can't wait to get rid of that stupid chatter and see what difference (if any) the reduce weight makes.
With respect to the clatter - I've tried to get my dealer to address this issue on 4 separate occasions with absolutely no success, their response "they all do that" it "must be the impellers in the supercharger". Well, I don't buy it. However, I would like to know if this is simply an annoyance or an issue which may lead to future maintenance issues - thoughts?

Old 11-11-2005, 12:10 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting

Originally Posted by k-huevo
My MCS vibration damper/harmonic balancer has been clattering for months. Today I replaced it with a new one and discovered a few changes in the part from the early models. Construction of the new crank pulley is tighter an lighter. The thickness is narrower and the weight has dropped 1 lb. 6 oz. to the current 5 lb. 13 oz.

The swap turned out to be a minor ordeal. Some of the installation & removal tools for the older model damper will not work with the new one. This left me in a pickle with the part removed and only hand tools available. Because the older model pulley holder would not fit the new pulley I had to try all kinds of stupid ways to keep the crank from rotating and not lose my timing mark. In the end, a modified heavy shelf brace became the stop bracket. To make matters worse, the bearing on the installation tool that helps reduce friction when cranking down the pulley, froze, causing a lot of extra effort in getting the job done.

The damper change was successful, no more rattling chain noises from the passenger front wheel well.
I have a noise similar to that from the same area. I only hear it with the window down on that side when next to a wall or high curb.

While acceleration under load, first or second gear.

Is there anything else I could do to determine if my noise is coming from the damper?
I was following the axel nut fix thread but don't really think that is my trouble.

Last edited by norm03s; 11-11-2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add text
Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 PM
ltz_mtr
2nd Gear
I have my car in the shop now, making the argument for a replacement crank pulley (new style thanks to this post). I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
ltz_mtr
2nd Gear
No dice or help from the dealer, but the Alta lightweight pulley cured the problem. The click is gone....

Old 01-05-2006, 11:42 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Thanks for that follow up

Originally Posted by ltz_mtr
No dice or help from the dealer, but the Alta lightweight pulley cured the problem. The click is gone....

That confirms my suspicions about the crank pulley damper. It is the source of the clicking noise. Now all I need to do is convince the SA to ride on my fender with the bonnet up ( on passenger side of course) while I run through 1st gear. yea like that is going to happen
But there may be other ways too.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:01 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s

That confirms my suspicions about the crank pulley damper. It is the source of the clicking noise. Now all I need to do is convince the SA to ride on my fender with the bonnet up ( on passenger side of course) while I run through 1st gear. yea like that is going to happen
But there may be other ways too.
Good luck with that. I went through three dealers trying to get them to recognize and fix the problem. Finally decided to do it myself.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Anyone know if there is product bulletin out on defective crank shaft pulley dampers???.
I have a July build 2003 also I wonder if more people aren't having this issue.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Last time I was at the dealers, I reported the noise and had them note it on the repair order. The tech. indicated it was my worn, needing to be replaced tires. Yea right ;<( I didn't have time then to dispute such BS. Next visit they will see that I'm not buying that BS.
I have at least twice the years turning wrenches of any techs. I saw there.
We will see.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Check this thread for more info:

Tapping sound above 3000 rpm, mild to heavy acceleration

It has been going on for quite some time. Hope it helps.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:49 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
To check the health of the vibration damper, take tension off the belt, grab the crank pulley and try to wiggle/rock it. If it moves even a little bit it's bad. I could get mine to move and clink so it was easy to verify as the source of the noise.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:57 PM
ltz_mtr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Anyone know if there is product bulletin out on defective crank shaft pulley dampers???.
I have a July build 2003 also I wonder if more people aren't having this issue.

Part of the BS story was that "there is not bulletin on that issue, so we can't do anything". Gee, that was helpful. Thanks for nothing Mr. Service Rep...

Old 01-05-2006, 08:25 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Thanks k-huevo

Originally Posted by :thumbsup:
To check the health of the vibration damper, take tension off the belt, grab the crank pulley and try to wiggle/rock it. If it moves even a little bit it's bad. I could get mine to move and clink so it was easy to verify as the source of the noise.
I'll take my pulley tension release tool with me and have a parking lot demonstration after a test drive.. That will get their attention

A little off topic, I was investigation the little kit found in the boot compartment on the left side. This kit has the towing eye in it, a wrench, reversible screw driver and found the factory pulley tension stop pin as part of the kit.. Funny thing is it looks just about like the one I made out a heavy gauge coat hanger wire. Finger loop, bend and all.

I may not make it into the dealer until spring (still under warranty) because I think it will last until then ( ought to be clinking like mad by then too ) and it's really not a big deal as long as it stays together. Now that I said that it will probably fly apart on the way to work tomorrow.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:08 PM
orthomini
3rd Gear
tool

[QUOTE=norm03s]

"A little off topic, I was investigation the little kit found in the boot compartment on the left side. This kit has the towing eye in it, a wrench, reversible screw driver and found the factory pulley tension stop pin as part of the kit.. Funny thing is it looks just about like the one I made out a heavy gauge coat hanger wire. Finger loop, bend and all."

it was my understanding that the tool has a hook on the end and its to remve the center caps on the x-lite wheels.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:36 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Well I FINALLY was able to replace my dampener and the chatter is gone!

If you plan on doing the swap yourself I HIGHLY recommend that you use the OEM tools for the job. They make it much easier and safer for both you and the car. I purchased a tensioner tool from Helix:

and the brace, puller, and thread protector from Classic. The brace and puller are for 02-04

Brace PN 90880118460
Puller PN 90880118450
Protector PN 90886118270

There is a re-install tool that you may want to consider, but I went to Fastenal down the road and purchased a bolt that matched the crank bolt just longer and used it for the re-install. Probably not the smartest way to do the job in hindsight given the fact that if the threads had stripped I would have damaged the crank not the re-install tool, so take it for what it is worth.

Total for the job came to about $240. Still cheaper than having the dealer do as they refused to do it under warranty.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:14 PM
ltz_mtr
2nd Gear
Yet another satisfied <self service> customer!! Glad to hear it's fixed!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:30 AM
jblow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been trying to get my dealer to address the clatter (most likely the crankshaft vibration damper based upon this thread) since buying the car 2 1/2 years ago. Is there any risk of engine damage if this problem is not addressed other than the annoying clattering noise (according to my dealer, "they all do that")??

Old 03-27-2006, 07:34 AM
jcmini
2nd Gear
Same thing here. Detroit Tuned replaced it and fixed the tapping noise. Real good news!!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jblow
I've been trying to get my dealer to address the clatter (most likely the crankshaft vibration damper based upon this thread) since buying the car 2 1/2 years ago. Is there any risk of engine damage if this problem is not addressed other than the annoying clattering noise (according to my dealer, "they all do that")??
When I removed mine, I could not see any visible problems with the dampener and I am not aware of any longterm ill affects being attributed to the chatter. My uneducated assumption is the isolation material between the two metal portions (it appears to be rubber) is hardening over time, possibly from the heat. If that is the case ,then one could postulate that eventually the material would completely break down and the dampener would fail. As of yet I have not heard of any cases where that has happened.

As you can see from the pictures below [courtesy WebbMotorsports] the new dampener is constructed quite a bit differently than the old one:

02-04

05-06

The new dampener has much less isolation material and as mentioned before is 2lbs lighter. I think it is a great mod for any pre 05 MCS, and fairly cheap with all of the used dampeners floating around after be changing out for Alta lightweights and such.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:33 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Re: Crank Pulley

Do you have the weights of each?

Originally Posted by SumWon
When I removed mine, I could not see any visible problems with the dampener and I am not aware of any longterm ill affects being attributed to the chatter. My uneducated assumption is the isolation material between the two metal portions (it appears to be rubber) is hardening over time, possibly from the heat. If that is the case ,then one could postulate that eventually the material would completely break down and the dampener would fail. As of yet I have not heard of any cases where that has happened.

As you can see from the pictures below [courtesy WebbMotorsports] the new dampener is constructed quite a bit differently than the old one:

02-04

05-06

The new dampener has much less isolation material and as mentioned before is 2lbs lighter. I think it is a great mod for any pre 05 MCS, and fairly cheap with all of the used dampeners floating around after be changing out for Alta lightweights and such.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:35 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Re: crank pulley
SumWon.
At 20% lighter, this is a great alternative for a lightened system for MINIs build before Jan '05.
Do you have the weights of each?

Old 05-12-2006, 03:57 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Check out Randy Webb's evaluation of the pullies for their weights and more. The same place qouted above.
http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...opic.php?t=707

Old 05-12-2006, 04:31 AM
k-huevo
6th Gear
For the pulley weight read post #1.

Quick Reply: Part Change for the Crankshaft Vibration Damper