Vendor Group Buys Group Buys from the Sponsors of North American Motoring.

SUNROOF SHADE for Mini Cooper and Clubman by ZippeeShade.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you open the sunroof with the zippeeshade on?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:39 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
I'm a little puzzled by the video that shows the "loose" material being tucked in around the edges. What happens to that material when you open the front panel or pop-up the rear? The video shows you have to remove the Zippee Shade before opening the front sun roof? Moss's catalog advertisement for the shade states you can drive 90 MPH and you gurantee it stay. Am I missing something here? It sounds like a great idea but somewhat inconvenient when you want to open the roof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58sT6..._order&list=UL

Old 03-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bluesman77
I'm a little puzzled by the video that shows the "loose" material being tucked in around the edges. What happens to that material when you open the front panel or pop-up the rear? The video shows you have to remove the Zippee Shade before opening the front sun roof? Moss's catalog advertisement for the shade states you can drive 90 MPH and you gurantee it stay. Am I missing something here? It sounds like a great idea but somewhat inconvenient when you want to open the roof.

thats wut im trying to figure out

Old 03-06-2011, 05:38 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I watched the video that you linked, there is a statement near the end:

"Please Read:
To prevent damage or loss of your ZippeeShade, we highly recommend that you remove the ZippeeShade from your Front Sunroof before you open it."

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. I think the loose material is being tucked just to make it look cleaner.

Originally Posted by Achilles honor
thats wut im trying to figure out

Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
When I watched the video that you linked, there is a statement near the end:

"Please Read:
To prevent damage or loss of your ZippeeShade, we highly recommend that you remove the ZippeeShade from your Front Sunroof before you open it."

The answer seems pretty obvious to me. I think the loose material is being tucked just to make it look cleaner.
I know it's pretty obvious and I've read that several times but I keep seeing videos that have the shade on and they are opening a closing the sunroof. I think one of the videos was posted by zippeeshade.. And they have a ad that has the sunshade on where they are opening the sunroof in a couple pictures

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
OctaneGuy
Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of that. Looking forward to the answer!

I know it's pretty obvious and I've read that several times but I keep seeing videos that have the shade on and they are opening a closing the sunroof. I think one of the videos was posted by zippeeshade.. And they have a ad that has the sunshade on where they are opening the sunroof in a couple pictures

Old 03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
me too they are kind of slow on their opinions lol

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
OctaneGuy
Well "slow" is relative, lol...they probably only work Monday to Friday, lol.

me too they are kind of slow on their opinions lol

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
This is a real disappointment. I envisioned running a rear ZippeShade most of the time and even the front during really hot weather, but still opening the front sunroof most of the time. Unless I'm not understanding what has been written here, opening the front sun roof initially pops up the rear before the front is slid back. That means the excess material tucked in gets pulled out to flap around in the breeze and look bad. Unless, of course, the material is tucked-back in before driving off. Not at all what I imagined from initially reading their ad in Moss' catalog. I'm going to have to mull this over a bit before springing for a set. Fiddling around tucking-in material possibly several times a day anytime I open the front roof seems like it would get old fast.

Last edited by bluesman77; 03-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
Na dude... Opening the sunroof on an R53, and I assume an R56, has no effects on the rear lid at all. I ran the zippie all season long. No problemo... Zippies are made in two pieces (front and rear) and have suction cups on 'em so they stick to the glass. Leave the one in the rear with no worries. The sliding roof can "pop-up", as they say, without having it fly away. At least that's been my experience... However, a little common sense has to prevail when ya want'a open the sliding lid.......

Without that, you might be minus the zippie in pretty short order.

Last edited by JBC4317; 03-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
I appreciate what you've written, but I'm pretty sure my R56 pops both roofs initially and then the rear closes if the front is slid back. I could be wrong and wish that was the case, but it seems like there's no way to open the 2nd gen front roof w/o popping the rear initially. If I'm wrong - I apologize. Also, their advertisement claims you travel at up to 90 MPH and they gurantee the ZippeShade to hold on or they will replace it free of charge - but I understand what you're saying.

Last edited by bluesman77; 03-07-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
I can surely attest to goin' 90 with the roof open and the rear one in there... And popping up the lid with the Zippie in place has never caused me a problem. Truthfully though, I don't leave it in when I want'a slide it open. It just doesn't make sense ta me why I'd have it in there then. Ya know what I mean??? When it's that hot here in CA, that I need the Zippies in there, my A/C is on and the sun is outside where I want it to stay. Best'a luck. Buy the shades and ya won't be sorry.....

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
Yeah, I do. But the idea of having to tuck in the rear excess cloth every time I open the front just seems bothersome because I'm sure it has to pop everytime the front's opened. But, if it beats the heat, it's probably worth the bother. Thanks for your and everybody else's thoughts on the subject - they're appreciated.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I appreciate what you've written, but I'm pretty sure my R56 pops both roofs initially and then the rear closes if the front is slid back. I could be wrong and wish that was the case, but it seems like there's no way to open the 2nd gen front roof w/o popping the rear initially. If I'm wrong - I apologize. Also, their advertisement claims you travel at up to 90 MPH and they gurantee the ZippeShade to hold on or they will replace it free of charge - but I understand what you're saying.

popping it up doesnt do anything with the zippee shade but i am talking bout opening the front sunroof. is there a product that you can open it with it on or am i going to just have to tint my top roof to 5%

Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
From what I've been reading, there are two shades in the ZippeShade set-up and their advertising claims they'll stick up to 90MPH. My concern, if you leave the front one in, is the excess cloth they instruct you to tuck in - seems like it's flop around, but I really don't know. Sorry - hopefully others will steer you better than I.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
i get wut your saying now that would be kind of annoying.. guess ill grab a pair and just see no harm in that

Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM
JBC4317
4th Gear
I know you'll like the set up! Best'a luck to you guys.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
i hope

Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
RedMiniBirmingham
3rd Gear
Just got it. It seems ok. The loose fabric is a little less engineered than I might have liked, it doesn't really tuck tightly anywhere, but it seems like it works.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RedMiniBirmingham
Just got it. It seems ok. The loose fabric is a little less engineered than I might have liked, it doesn't really tuck tightly anywhere, but it seems like it works.
yay im just going with a tint on my sunroof

Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Duvivr6
2nd Gear
Just got mine thanks!!

Installation was cake, the care is a lot more shady inside deff. a nice cheap easy mod.

BTW the instructions say the guarantee you can leave it on with your sunroof open.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:00 PM
bluesman77
1st Gear
Out of curiosity, is yours a 1st or 2nd gen car. If it's an R56, what happens to the "excess material" when you open the sun roof(s); if you have done that? We're about to get between 10 and 16" of snow here in NE OH - so you may not be opening your sunroof at this time.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Duvivr6
Just got mine thanks!!

Installation was cake, the care is a lot more shady inside deff. a nice cheap easy mod.

BTW the instructions say the guarantee you can leave it on with your sunroof open.
any videos of you opening your sunroof with it on?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Duvivr6
2nd Gear
Out of curiosity, is yours a 1st or 2nd gen car. If it's an R56, what happens to the "excess material" when you open the sun roof(s); if you have done that? We're about to get between 10 and 16" of snow here in NE OH - so you may not be opening your sunroof at this time.

I have an 03 1st Gen R53 so no opening rear sunroof

Old 03-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Stryker305
1st Gear
I just got mine and installed it, it blocks all the rays and keeps the heat out!
I have a shaved balled head, and here in Miami Florida it gets hawt I mean real hawt so this thing for the price is an automatic decision for me.

I don't see the problem you guys are having about taking it off when you want to, it has 4 suction cups with little handles that are a piece of cake to attach or remove when in doubt and you want your top up just take it off and when you park pop it back on ! IMO

Quick Reply: SUNROOF SHADE for Mini Cooper and Clubman by ZippeeShade.com