Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Exel wheels or ACE wheels, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:07 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
If they were the exact size weight, distribution etc....of course not. But you could tell a difference in finish and crafstmanship, but performance would be the exact same. Its a very subtle difference....but if you look at a pair of Konigs next to a pair of HRE's you will certainly be able to tell which one is "higher level"
So if the performance is the same I guess it really just matters how much you care about the finish. So if someone doesnt care as much about the finish and chooses an equally performing wheel, how this make it a bottom of the barrel or entry-level I dont understand. Seems more like personal choice whether they want to spend more for this "craftsmanship".

Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 AM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$900 a set My wheels are $900+ a piece :impatient

Originally Posted by UKSUV
You can say they are bottom of the line. I don't care. I was ATTENPMTING to give you crap. The fact is...for $900 for a set of 18"'s (wheels, tires, mounting and balancing) that I have just abused since I got them, They have been holding up nice. I would probably order another set.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
So if the performance is the same I guess it really just matters how much you care about the finish. So if someone doesnt care as much about the finish and chooses an equally performing wheel, how this make it a bottom of the barrel or entry-level I dont understand. Seems more like personal choice whether they want to spend more for this "craftsmanship".
Well yes and no. You have to realize that the example you gave was a bit flawed. You made up a hypothetical situation where they both had the exact same weight size and everything. But if you compare the superleggra and the exel superleggra copy.....they won't be the same in terms of weight, weight distribution or size (maybe, i dont know about this one)....and the OZ will be able to go with a lower weight while sticking with more strength. So if you do a fair comparison of one "non-entry" level wheel to its "entry-level" wheel counterpart you will see that there ARE differences in performance, and there are LOTS of differences in terms of craftsmanship and finish.

But sure, if you want to make the argument that if you find two wheels that are exactly the same, compare them and then say that they are excatly the same....i can't argue that one. But what i am saying is that finding a "non-entry" level one and finding one that is its "entry level" equivalent will show that there are differences in performance, strength, and looks.

A funny thing that could be brought up in this interesting discussion is that most of the cars running "entry level" tuner wheels are often the ones with visual upgrades. With things like non-aerodynamic body kits and big vinyl and stuff....they are obviously very interested in looks (not a bad thing at all....thats not what im saying). Its just interesting that they then chose wheels that *might* perform as well as the other ones, but don't win in the finish/looks category (as you mentioned in your post). And many times wheels like HRE's and iFORGED wheels are on a BMW or Porsche who have done minimal or subtle body upgrades. Just a funny irony that i noticed when you mentioned people not being interested in looks so that the entry level wheels were fine if they performed the same.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:49 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Maybe thats because people with the Porshes and BMWs have the money to do so, and MINI drivers who couldnt afford the Porshe but splurged on the expensive body kit can no longer afford the HRE's and other mega expensive wheels. Hey, thats me!

Plus, often the finish and craftsmanship of the body kits you mentioned is not that great. Its more of an "entire" look. That is me as well, I feel like wheels are shoes that are just gonna get dirty, so craftsmanship and finish are not as important to me there. My personal choice. I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Maybe thats because people with the Porshes and BMWs have the money to do so, and MINI drivers who couldnt afford the Porshe but splurged on the expensive body kit can no longer afford the HRE's and other mega expensive wheels. Hey, thats me!

Plus, often the finish and craftsmanship of the body kits you mentioned is not that great. Its more of an "entire" look. That is me as well, I feel like wheels are shoes that are just gonna get dirty, so craftsmanship and finish are not as important to me there. My personal choice. I would rather spend the money elsewhere.

An interesting point....and very true.

I think i just come from the other side of things....If something is worth doing, its worth doing well.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:49 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
You get what you pay for. Sometimes you get a little less than you pay for, but rarely do you get more.

So long as you know that before making any purchase, things should turn out like you plan.

In the case of the Exel, it's a fine wheel for the amount of money you are required to spend. Call it what you want. ("Entry level", inexpensive, etc)

It's a house brand for wheel max, that uses "styling cues" from more expensive models made by other manufacturers.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
I'm not saying any of these brands are crap; I was one click away from getting the TZ-10 at one time after seeing them on Ryphile's car (both sets 17 & 18s) and I figure if they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me. But if I were looking in the price range of $100-$150 per wheel, I would be more inclined, now after researching wheels here and elsewhere for over a year now, I would go with the Fliks, or, more likely some Rotas. If money were no object I would skip the iForged and HREs, and go with some Volks.

Wheels are wheels, they're all round, but the similarity usually stops there. Find your price range and weigh your options, and don't skimp on tires.

my 2 cents

-Steve

Old 02-13-2006, 04:01 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I think i just come from the other side of things....If something is worth doing, its worth doing well.
There is also a time for not going all out and getting the best though. For example, I recently I wanted a DVD player in my car, but it wasnt that important. I could have spent thousands on a system but I got it all done for $300. To some the craftsmanship of the wheel isnt as important either, more the overall look. A wheel is a wheel, its personal choice.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by motorsports_3
One of my buddies has a pair of exel wheels which are copies of the HP Evo's, and if you put them next to the HP the finish is not as good, the exels are way worse than the HP. The exels look nice from far, and the HP's dont look so perfect either. I am not flaming on any one with exels so dont go crazy on me. But one day if you get bored go look at a set of superlegerras and the exel copies, and the SSR gt3 and the exel copies and then tell me about finish. You get what you pay for. But since they are heavy (ussually) they are damn strong. When it comes to wheels though, most of the tuner brans are the same, they are just rebagded. Te exels are not made be wheel max, just the name is owned by them.
You better not bag on my wheels buttface I know where you live.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:17 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dufrinr
Yeah well...When you have 2 almost new cars and 1 brand new car to mod, it gets expensive quick. And in the future, I will probably go with some OZ Super's. But for now, my Exel's are taking a beating. There is a GB for IFORGED at the moment and I MIGHT hit that up for my 3 series.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
OZ super's are a bargin for what they are, light and also well made. Perfect nope.. Minor, blems in the finish but a super tough well made wheel

IMO, the only perfect wheels, I have ever seen are BBS and everyone has a perfect finish no blems, no marks, nothing the enitre wheel not just the
face..

But, IMO BBS sometimes is to boring with the classic styling... So there is no perfect wheel company out there is there?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dufrinr

man, you really got ripped, didn't ya?

jk your wheels are cool.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motorsports_3
Te exels are not made be wheel max, just the name is owned by them.
yeh, some people had a hell of a time with their service...that's the only
reason why I brought it up.

if i was to get some wheels for my commuter, i'd try the Ace Raze wheels.
those are 1pc wheels, dirt cheap and comes in pretty colors. i could careless
about weight or brand name as long as it looks good, durable, and no vibrations.
that or the ASA wheels.

did tirerack discontinue the Kazera brand? I think ASA is a nicer brand name
than Kazera... what does that mean anyway? "kaze" means wind in
Japanese. maybe gozilla in the wind? Alex, what were you guys watching?

Old 02-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
There is also a time for not going all out and getting the best though. For example, I recently I wanted a DVD player in my car, but it wasnt that important. I could have spent thousands on a system but I got it all done for $300. To some the craftsmanship of the wheel isnt as important either, more the overall look. A wheel is a wheel, its personal choice.

I agree its all personal choice... Just like the DVD example if it was important enough for me to do to my car....it would be worth doing well (for me...thats my personal opinion). If its not worth doing well, than its really not worth me even spending the 300 dollars because i obviously don't care THAT much.

Again...this is all personal opinion, and i'm glad you like your stuff.....thats just not how i chhoose to modify my car neccesarily.

Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Are you saying that I didnt do my DVD system well?

Well dirka dirka dirk jihad on you!

We're not all made of money Rally, some of us have to be modest in our mods.

Old 02-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
No, of course im not saying anything about your DVD system....i have never seen it or witnessed it.

And I'm not made of money either....i'm a typical college student.....i just have weird tuning practices

Old 02-14-2006, 03:42 AM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Yet another .... these wheels are great ..those wheels suck... thread

I wish I had a nickel for every post I've read since 07/2002 re: this topic...
I could then easly purchase a set of ....whatever is currently the "wheel de jour"

It's...
your car
your wallet
your style
your requirements
etc...etc

therefore... your PERSONAL choice.

I just got my 2nd MCS... put a set of Kosei's on it & F1's... works well for me..

My 2 cents

Peace,
D

Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 AM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
wow, way to polarize the topic, d-mini-ero...

Nobody has said "those suck, these don't"...

and nobody is trying to tell anyone what or what not to put on their car.

of course it's personal choice...

Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
I'm not saying any of these brands are crap; I was one click away from getting the TZ-10 at one time after seeing them on Ryphile's car (both sets 17 & 18s) and I figure if they're good enough for him, they're good enough for me.

-Steve
I bought Ryan's 17 inch TZ-10's when he switched to the 18's. Being white they don't work for everyone, but they look great on my EB/W. They're a good solid wheel and light. I'm very happy with them and got them for a fantastic price.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by d-mini-ero
Yet another .... these wheels are great ..those wheels suck... thread

I wish I had a nickel for every post I've read since 07/2002 re: this topic...
I could then easly purchase a set of ....whatever is currently the "wheel de jour"

You would think that you wouldnt have that many nickels if it really bothered you so much....you arent forced to click and read it

But seriously....right now no one is saying someone else is wrong or right....me and minitor are exchanging our tuning philosophies. If this bothers you, i apologize, but i will ask that you not try to hamper the conversation that i enjoyed having (and would think that MINITOR did too....we both learned about each others views on things).

Old 02-14-2006, 02:46 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
yeh he would have to shorten his name to d-in-ero

Old 02-14-2006, 03:06 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I wouldnt say that I enjoyed it , I was just pointing out that not everyone buys the best available product and does so on purpose, as not everyone follows Rally's philosopy of "if its worth doing, its worth doing well". Many of us have to budget how much we spend on which mods because there are so many of them that we want to do. And that is why you may find someone with a body kit but not top-of-the-line expensive wheels because craftsmanship is not their determining factor. And as we all agreed that is great because it is their choice and wheels are wheels are wheels.

Rally, you really just push my buttons.

And with that, I break into my first quadruple digit post.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Gentlemen...

I simply stated my opinion.

If I offended......anyone...everyone... someone or.... no one... I sincerely apologise

Please accept my sincerest apology

Peace,
D

Old 02-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Rally, you really just push my buttons.

And with that, I break into my first quadruple digit post.

I Just want to let you know that despite that we never really see eye to eye....i really respect what you have done to your car, and the state that its in right now. We don't mod the same ways....but i definitely like how yours looks.

And welcome to the "big time" of posting

Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Originally Posted by d-mini-ero
Please accept my sincerest apology
Hey, we're cool... Much respect. Sometimes it's hard to convey subtlety in typed posts, so many times intentions get misinterpreted... I try not to come off like an a-hole, if I can help it.

There are a lot of topics in here that are being rehashed again and again, but it's unavoidable because, well, some people have been here a while and some people haven't...

Anyway- I would still rather have a set of "entry level" wheels with really nice tires on them than a set of, say, SSR comps with the cheapest bagain basement tires you can get. Like everyone is saying, most wheels will do the trick, but the beef is in the tires.

Quick Reply: Exel wheels or ACE wheels, anyone?