Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wheels that fit Stoptech BBK

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 07:55 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so u have tried this w/no problems huh? i think i will be goin' w/a 5mm & use longer bolts! have u any idea if there is anybody that makes a hub centric 5mm spacer set, i have had no luck ..... i thought MINI MANIA had some but their photo does not match the description hey show a 5mm havin' hubcentric ring but when i called this is not true~
Originally Posted by badassmini
Strom,
Thanks for the link on the 3mm spacers. I'd like to add that KINESIS K18R with 15mm HR spacers. Probably can go w/ 10mm but no one makes a 10mm that is hubcentric.

Just like to add that if you use a 5mm or less spacer it is not hubcentric and it does not need to be because there enough of the hub exposed to center the wheel for proper wheel fit.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
some places list the H&R 5mm spacer for Mini as hubcentric. You might want to double check though.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:57 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea i know sum of them do, but its a typo or they dont know what they speak off..........????where did u see this add on the 5mm hub spacers
Originally Posted by VoiD
some places list the H&R 5mm spacer for Mini as hubcentric. You might want to double check though.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:36 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it depends on what wheel/hub rings you use, but 5mm still leaves room for them to reach the hub. The HR are hubcentric being that they fit the Mini hub perfectly, not that they have a hubcentric extension. The larger ones do though, 10mm and such.
I use 5mm all the way around myself (but I have done a lot of fender modding), but could use the 3mm in the rear for better fender fitment and will in fact get those.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:44 PM
benthevegan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
I had a set of 17 Volk LE 37 and they needed over 7 mm to clear a set of Stop Tech's. Looking at them we thought there would be no problem but we were suprised.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Damn, thats disapointting . I was told that these would pretty much fit any bbk. I know the LEs are the same as the TEs but with a polished lip, do you think that maybe the lip pushes the spokes back more? This may mean that the LEs don't fit stoptechs but TEs do, could this be right

Old 10-15-2005, 01:56 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
really they rub w/jus a 5mm!?!?!? hope mine will clear..well i am settin' height around my wheels so will do what it takes, its all good.

so ur sayin' that the HR rings are able to be used as a hubcentric ring?
cuz i do need to order them for my current wheels b4 i get the spacers cuz the burn outs at sterling BMW/MINI screwed my rings up....they used an impact gun instead of torque wrench..... :impatient so they fuked one or two up i cant set it free.
Originally Posted by onasled
Maybe it depends on what wheel/hub rings you use, but 5mm still leaves room for them to reach the hub. The HR are hubcentric being that they fit the Mini hub perfectly, not that they have a hubcentric extension. The larger ones do though, 10mm and such.
I use 5mm all the way around myself (but I have done a lot of fender modding), but could use the 3mm in the rear for better fender fitment and will in fact get those.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by onasled
not that they have a hubcentric extension. The larger ones do though, 10mm and such.
Bingo! This is the key point I was trying to convey. Having the ring center on the hub is only half of the issue. NOT having the snout of the spacer support the wheel is then a NON hubcentric application. Having the spacer register here only on the factory hub is about worthless. The wheel is what you're after.

The reason the 5mm is not is pretty simple; there's not enough material for the counter bore on the back side and still have an extension on the front. Think about it.

The 10mm parts can have both, say 2mm of snout for the wheel and 6mm of counter bore for the factory hub. And have 2mm of meat in the middle.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:32 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joker
really they rub w/jus a 5mm!?!?!? hope mine will clear..well i am settin' height around my wheels so will do what it takes, its all good.

so ur sayin' that the HR rings are able to be used as a hubcentric ring?
cuz i do need to order them for my current wheels b4 i get the spacers cuz the burn outs at sterling BMW/MINI screwed my rings up....they used an impact gun instead of torque wrench..... :impatient so they fuked one or two up i cant set it free.
No, the 5mm spacers can't be used as hubcentric rings, but they leave enough hub sticking through for your hubcentric rings to catch and use.
The 5mm may still let the wheel/tire clear the fenders. I'm using 235s though so I needed to do quite a bit of modding.
Anyway, we are off topic to the thread here. My Rota sub zeros should fit any BBK as they clear my TCE willwod 13" with room to spare.

Old 10-15-2005, 02:50 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by benthevegan
Damn, thats disapointting . I was told that these would pretty much fit any bbk. I know the LEs are the same as the TEs but with a polished lip, do you think that maybe the lip pushes the spokes back more? This may mean that the LEs don't fit stoptechs but TEs do, could this be right
I am not that familiar with the other Volk wheels such as the TE. The Le's were the only volks I have owned. I sold them to a guy at the shop that had bought the Stop tech's from Mini Mania. They had told him that that BBK kit would fit ANY 17' wheel. Boy was he suprised when they didnt fit his Sl ites , not by a mile. I was only using mine as a set for the track so I sold them to him to help him out of a bind. We thought they would go rite on as they look to be very BBK friendly and were dissapointed when we had to resort to spacers. That Stop Teck caliper is HUGE as it needs to be big to get its strength as it is cast peice I beleive and not billet like some of the more expensive units. I am not a brake expert by any stretch and just reporting my personal experineces with them. Perhaps the Pro's from TCE can fill you in more.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 10-15-2005, 03:53 PM
benthevegan
3rd Gear
Yeah I think when I do get a bbk(which won't be for a while) I'm going for TCE/wilwoods anyways, just always thought that stoptechs would fit. That sucks that someplace like mini mania would tell a bold lie like that just to sell more product.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:19 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
off topic again.

LE37Ts are exactly the same as TE37s in terms of dimensions. Also the offset of the wheel is important. a 42mm offset TE37 might not fit the BBK but a 30mm offset TE37s might clear the calipers.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
yea but cant afford "the wheels" right now!!

:smile: huh, this is what Helix said!! as far as why a 5mm would not werk, but i wanted to make sure theres not a miracle solution.
Originally Posted by toddtce
Bingo! This is the key point I was trying to convey. Having the ring center on the hub is only half of the issue. NOT having the snout of the spacer support the wheel is then a NON hubcentric application. Having the spacer register here only on the factory hub is about worthless. The wheel is what you're after.

The reason the 5mm is not is pretty simple; there's not enough material for the counter bore on the back side and still have an extension on the front. Think about it.

The 10mm parts can have both, say 2mm of snout for the wheel and 6mm of counter bore for the factory hub. And have 2mm of meat in the middle.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:47 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about that. I have a pair of 3mm and a pair of 7mm AC Schnitzer spacers for my BMW that are both hubcentric.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:51 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
.......are they for 'AC Schnitzer' wheels? (spacers)
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
I don't know about that. I have a pair of 3mm and a pair of 7mm AC Schnitzer spacers for my BMW that are both hubcentric.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Strom
4th Gear
Sorry for the delay - I've been working a ton (~95-100 hr weeks).

Old 11-03-2005, 06:02 AM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
I'd like to add to the list of wheels that fit:

18 x 7.5" SSR GT7s +42mm offset - no spacers

Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Great looking set-up. Wonder if those Stoptech's will fit with 17X7 Kosie K1-TS 42mm?

Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001
I'd like to add to the list of wheels that fit:

18 x 7.5" SSR GT7s +42mm offset - no spacers

Old 11-03-2005, 06:40 PM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by apexer
Great looking set-up. Wonder if those Stoptech's will fit with 17X7 Kosie K1-TS 42mm?
I'm not certain, but from the looks of these wheels (a few club members have them) the spoke pocket is not deep enough for the massive ST-40 calipers.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:00 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Thanks for the prompt reply. Have you checked "Hanger Talk" on Randy's site?
Think you'll like the "What's it like out there" post

Old 03-26-2006, 03:07 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Can anyone POSITIVELY confirm that SSR GT7s fit over the Stoptech calipers WITHOUT spacers?

I took NAM's word that my Superleggeras would fit with a 4mm spacer and the wheel is just barely contacting the caliper. Not good.

I have a track event this coming weekend and I need to get this sorted out ASAP!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Old 03-26-2006, 03:08 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
LOL ok I'm an idiot. Just saw Red Baron's post in this thread. They're on sale right now at Tirerack - ordering 5 right now! =)

Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Originally Posted by markbradford
Can anyone POSITIVELY confirm that SSR GT7s fit over the Stoptech calipers WITHOUT spacers?

I took NAM's word that my Superleggeras would fit with a 4mm spacer and the wheel is just barely contacting the caliper. Not good.

I have a track event this coming weekend and I need to get this sorted out ASAP!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!
Interesting - I use the Superleggeras with 5mm spacers, and there's plenty of room. It seems like 4mm spacers should work, and other people have confirmed that they did. I'll have to find the thread I pulled that information from. Sorry for the confusion!

Where did you find 4mm spacers, by the way?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Oh, and maybe you could get the 5mm spacers instead of having to return the wheels?

Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
In case you've been living under a rock for the past two years...

17x7, 45ET clears caliper by 15mm...

Old 03-28-2006, 12:13 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Strom
Interesting - I use the Superleggeras with 5mm spacers, and there's plenty of room. It seems like 4mm spacers should work, and other people have confirmed that they did. I'll have to find the thread I pulled that information from. Sorry for the confusion!

Where did you find 4mm spacers, by the way?
Just pulled out my invoice from the Tirerack. They're 5mm spacers.

Quick Reply: Wheels that fit Stoptech BBK