Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

slick tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 12:32 AM
JCKoopaS
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slick tires?

hi all just wondering....i want to autocross my cooper S with stock suspension. if i put some slicks on, can my suspension handle it?

Old 09-03-2005, 06:10 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I don't know exactly what "handle it" means, but I run my stock-suspended Mini on DOT-approved competition tires all the time. Seems to work fine :smile:

By the way, usually "slicks" mean non-street legal tires, which for SCCA autocross, are not legal in the stock, street prepared, or street modified classes. Almost all of the autocross cars you see on the so-called "r-compound" tires are actually DOT-approved, street legal competition tires. Just a picky terminology thing.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:55 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
It sounds to me like you may be new to autocross. Personally, I would suggest running on your stock tires at first to get a feel for the car. R-compound tires will tens to hide a lot of mistakes that you may be making. You'll become a better 'driver' by starting out on street compound tires and then later switching up to r-compound at a later date. Who knows, you may not even like it and the $1000 you spent on wheels and tires will be lost!!! If you are buying new wheels, just get some summer only tires that are relatively cheap (I'd recommend Kumho MX's). Then you don't have to worry about trashing your stock tires. The MX's should last you almost 2 seasons (depending on the number of events). By that time, you can jump up to the R-compounds and be a lot better off in the end!!!

Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 PM
JCKoopaS
2nd Gear
hey thanks for the replies! yes i'm new to autocrossing. the only event i've been to is the BMWCCA event down at Qualcomm lot in San Diego. i was running on my r90s with the stop all weather dunlop SP Sport 5000s on there. 195/55/16. i'm thinking about getting some autox only rims and tires. any suggestions? any other things or tips you guys recommend for someone like me?