Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

JCW brake kit install problem...help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
sdybedock
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW brake kit install problem...help!

I just completed an install of a JCW brake kit. I used the one man brake bleed kit from Bavarian Autosport to bleed the lines. I now have a "soft" initial brake application, which firms up after consecutive pumps. It returns soft after allowing it to sit for several seconds. I've bled the lines back to front several times without success. Is there something I'm missing or have overlooked?

Old 06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some Possible Answers

Do a search for "JCW Brake Kit"

Also, check to be sure that the calipers are not installed backwards. The bleeder valve must be on the inside TOP of the mounted caliper. If it's on the bottom, then you won't get all the air out, no matter how many times you bleed them. (A dealer did this---check out a thread by thefuturequeenofnebraska on NAM)

Did you keep the level in the brake fluid master cylinder full while you were bleeding...letting it get too low will introduce air into the system. There are some writeups in the Bently Manual that say if you get air into the system--by letting the fluid get to low when bleeding---it will be trapped in the ABS components and it's a bear to get out---requires a machine at the dealer.

I had the JCW Kit installed by the dealer before I picked up my 05 MCSCa, and I don't think they got all the air out either. I'm not impressed with the brakes to date---yet. The stock brakes on my 04 MCS coupe are much better at this point

If you can get a friend to assist you, it's always good to use the manual method of one person pumping the pedal and one person bleeding at each corner. There are a number of posts on NAM under How To's that explain this method, if you're not familiar with it.
Charlie

Last edited by Chief_Charlie; 06-12-2005 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-13-2005, 07:29 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
I had the JCW Kit installed by the dealer before I picked up my 05 MCSCa, and I don't think they got all the air out either. I'm not impressed with the brakes to date---yet. The stock brakes on my 04 MCS coupe are much better at this point
Wow! I'm really surprised to hear this.

I have the JCW Brake Kit installed on my 05 MCS and it's WORLDS better than the stock setup was (night and day difference really). It's got gobs of bite and there's virtually no brake fade or overheating like there was with my stock setup. I couldn't be happier with mine. Maybe the dealer botched your install somehow???

Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
911RSAmerica
2nd Gear
MINI's do not like to be pressure bleed. You should re-bleed them with a helper pumping the brake peddle. Also you will have a soft peddle until the pads bed in to the rotors.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bedding In the Brakes

How many miles does it take to bed them in?

Anythjing special to do to accomplish this?

Old 06-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief_Charlie
How many miles does it take to bed them in?

Anythjing special to do to accomplish this?
The burnish takes about 5 miles, bedding the transfer film takes
average 250 miles to form.

The burnish process actually varies from friction manufactures.

Alex

Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 PM
sdybedock
Neutral
Chief Charlie,
Thanks for the insight. I had infact reversed the calipers. 35 minutes of work tonight and it's correct. I look forward to breaking them in. Hope you eventually get your's where you like them.