Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Changing from Tentacle Spoke to Loop Spoke wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:06 PM
smanning
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing from Tentacle Spoke to Loop Spoke wheels.

I have a 2018 F56 Cooper S on order that should be getting built this week. For whatever reason I prefer the 16" Loop Spoke wheels over the 17" Tentacle Spoke wheels. However, given the options that I wanted I wasn't able to get the Loop Spoke wheels (Active Driving Assistant requires the Fully Loaded Package which conflicts with Loop Spoke wheels). I mentioned this to my MA and he said that the parts department has a couple of sets of Loop Spokes that I could trade for the Tentacle Spokes when the car comes in. My question is, are there any issues with doing that? Is the speedometer calibrated to the 17" wheels at the factory and will changing to 16" wheels change the readings? Will the Dynamic Damper Control or Performance Control be affected? Do the 16" wheels actually provide a smother ride? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:17 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Tire size affects the speedo readout but the car isn't calibrated specifically to any size tire. Use this calculator:https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/ to see how much of a difference it would make, if you stay with OEM sizes the speedo should not be affected much if at all. Also note that MINI programs in a 3-5% overestimation of your speed (reads 80mph, actual GPS speed 76mph).

16 inch wheel/tire should be more comfortable due to more sidewall, generally. They're also a little lighter which reduces unsprung weight and increases tossability. I don't see a reason why DDC would be affected in any way but others may be more knowledgeable than me.

TL;DR: No issues going from 17 to 16s. Are they giving you tires too?

Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 AM
smanning
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I had read that the speedometer isn't that precise anyway. Since they offer a few different sized wheels on the same car I wondered if they just calibrated it so that it would never read slower than actual speed for any of the wheels offered. I assume that the trade would include tires and he said that he'd have to check with the parts guy on how much of a credit they would give me since the 17" wheels are worth more.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by smanning
Thanks for the info. I had read that the speedometer isn't that precise anyway. Since they offer a few different sized wheels on the same car I wondered if they just calibrated it so that it would never read slower than actual speed for any of the wheels offered. I assume that the trade would include tires and he said that he'd have to check with the parts guy on how much of a credit they would give me since the 17" wheels are worth more.
It's fine to swap one set of OEM wheels for another if the wheel fits over the brake calipers which it does. Sometimes a larger front brake caliper limits options but not in your case.

Wheel cost is a factor and you should be aware of any differences, typically 17" wheels can cost more than 16" due to being wider. The dealership may want an even swap which favors them.

Tire size will change between 16" and 17" wheels because tire diameter remains the same while sidewall height is shorter and stiffer with the 17" wheels, which leads to a firmer yet more responsive handling ride.

If you want more comfort then go with 16" but the actual tire used does make some difference. Some tires are all season and wear longer but don't handle as well as summer tires which ride firmer and wear out faster. Treadwear on the sidewall will be under 400 ish for summer tires and 450+ for all seasons.

If you have any cold weather under 40 degrees and no options for snow tires then all seasons will suit your needs better.

So yes, your MINI will work with either wheel option, better handling but slightly faster wear and firm ride with 17". Less noise, smoother ride, more comfort, less prone to wheel damage from bad roads with 16". 17" tend to look more aggressive, due to wider wheel and tire with shorter sidewall. Speedometer and odometer error is related to tire diameter but may be slightly off with readings that may be slightly lower than actual mph or miles.