Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

225/45/17 Fitment Test and advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 09:11 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
225/45/17 Fitment Test and advice

I’m asking for some help before I invest time and effort in a few Wheel/Tire fitment tests.

What I have:

2004 R53 no suspension or brake MODs

Stock R90 rims 17x7

Continental 225/45/17 race slicks

I’m pretty sure I can get the tires on the wheels, they will differently be a little compressed but they will mount up. The question is dos anyone know what size spacer I’ll need to position the tire in the fender correctly without tire contact in full range of motion for both the front and rear.

Any information or advice is welcome.

Motor On!

Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 AM
MADNESSray
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
willtheyfit.com

Great site for this kind of question.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:25 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Giving it a look... The illustration does not do the tyre size comparison justice, these things look much wider than the marked 225, Oh Well... it is just a matter of getting on with it and mounting them up and installing them on the car then testing.

I'll have to post a pic with them mounted.

Motor On!

Old 06-08-2017, 07:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by JABowders
I’m asking for some help before I invest time and effort in a few Wheel/Tire fitment tests.

What I have:

2004 R53 no suspension or brake MODs

Stock R90 rims 17x7

Continental 225/45/17 race slicks

I’m pretty sure I can get the tires on the wheels, they will differently be a little compressed but they will mount up. The question is dos anyone know what size spacer I’ll need to position the tire in the fender correctly without tire contact in full range of motion for both the front and rear.

Any information or advice is welcome.

Motor On!
I assume you are using the tires for track.

Why did you choose Continental Race tires ( Challenge Hoosier) and why in 225/45-17?

Normally we do not use 225/45-17 tire size for the MINI due to it's taller than OEM tire diameter and it doesn't fit that well for 17x7" rim compared to 205 or 215mm wide tire sizes.

In the case of this Race tire it is supposed to run wide more like 245mm street tires.

Using Wheel spacers should be avoided unless you need them for clearance. A wider and taller than OEM tire is potentially going to run the risk of rubbing.

The race tire is not for any street use or in the wet. They are $298 each when new and won't last long at a track with OEM suspension and alignment.

see
http://www.bimmerworld.com/Wheels-Ti...rack-Tire.html

Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
First, Yes it is for Track Use Only.

Now that the tires are mounted up on my R90 wheels they are looking better and better, I'm going to be mounting them to the car on Saturday to check suspension travel and tire clearance.

Why the 225/45 17 Continental Race tires (Challenge Hoosier) because they became available so I thought I would give them a shot. I run the new ContiProContact SSRs on my three MINIs as street tires (I have tracked them and they handle very well) but I wanted to get a track only tire for my track days. From all the research I found that more than a handful of folks out there are running the 225/45 17 without issue so I wanted to give them a try.

And just wanted to ask if anyone else had gotten the same wild hair I had.

What size wheel and tire do you run?

Motor On!

Old 06-15-2017, 04:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Which tire and wheel will depend on what use it will be whether track, driving event/school, Time attack, autocross or road course, etc.

Some events require more durability- long course high speed track, while some are short course but lower lap time like autocross and time attack. Some are a blend of both like Driving schools.

Not all tires come on all sizes so first it makes sense to look at which tire is best suited to your need. Then based on the tire size that fits the given MINI with suspension of choice then pick the wheel size that suits the tire size and still fits the MINI without rubbing or other concerns.

I have never seen a MINI with track tires of 225/45-17 but it can be done.

More often I see 205/45-17, 215/40-17, 205/40-17, or 215/45-17 but other sizes are workable.

For me I use smaller tire sizes and wider wheels, 225/45-15 225/50-16 or 215/45-16.