Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Minijcw2016
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

I have a 2016 Mini Cooper JCW with 18" wheels. I will use the car for Autocross once a month and daily driving. My questions are:
Do I keep the 18" wheels or do you recommend another size?
What tire do you recommend me to avoid changing tires everytime I will autox?
thank you

Old 05-18-2017, 05:58 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Were me running those rather expensive 18's, I'd opt for a set of dedicated AutoX wheels/Tires.

The 3rd gen MINI stock wheels have some rather odd offset in comparison to prior years (7JX18 ET:54) - I'd probably go with a 7x17 wheel with a lower offset than stock for better stability, say 38et to 40et range.

Then add a set of 205/45R17 tires. Probably Nitto Neogen.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Minijcw2016
Neutral
Thank you

Thank you for your advise.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Minijcw2016
I have a 2016 Mini Cooper JCW with 18" wheels. I will use the car for Autocross once a month and daily driving. My questions are:
Do I keep the 18" wheels or do you recommend another size?
What tire do you recommend me to avoid changing tires everytime I will autox?
thank you

Autocross with what group? SCCA? If so what mods do you have and what class will you be in?

That might determine what is legal within a given class.

If you had tires for street and autocross do you need to also drive in any cold weather under 40 degrees?

18" tire sizes are possible, Extreme Summer tires are best for autocross-
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...1RXL&tab=Specs
215/40-18 for $172.22 each will fit your wheels and suspension.

You can drive to the events and autocross without needing to change wheels or buy another set.

Extreme summer tires will wear faster than Max Summer or any all season tire but if you drive limited street miles per year then it's a workable tradeoff.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:46 AM
Minijcw2016
Neutral
Thanks

Thank you for your help. I am new at all this and have zero knowledge. I have tried AX and its a lot of fun.
I will be in DS class, never driving on under 40 degrees. If its better to go to 17" wheels rather than the 18", I am willing to do it. Besides the Autocross, this car maybe driven 10k miles a year mostly highway miles

Old 05-19-2017, 04:22 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
DOT track tires are a little expensive for daily driving.

However if you want to get a set of tires dedicated for AX, that I think is a good plan, you put them on in prep for the AX event, then put on your normal daily driving tires when you get home.

When I do Track events I run a set of full race tires but I have to carry them to the track with me and swap them out on site (this requires a Track Support Logistics Package, you know Jack, torque wrench, spare lugs, etc.)

Having DOT AX tires like: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

could save your daily driving tires.

Best of luck.

Motor On!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:40 PM
minihune
Originally Posted by Minijcw2016
Thank you for your help. I am new at all this and have zero knowledge. I have tried AX and its a lot of fun.
I will be in DS class, never driving on under 40 degrees. If its better to go to 17" wheels rather than the 18", I am willing to do it. Besides the Autocross, this car maybe driven 10k miles a year mostly highway miles
DS class is limited to street tires treadwear 200 or greater which means any Extreme Summer tire will give you the best grip but they do wear out faster when driven on the street.

Since you are learning you can also consider Max Summer tires treadwear about 300 or greater but you get less grip in trade for better daily driving comfort and lower noise and slightly better treadwear. Some Max Summer tires are also quite good in the wet either for autocross or street driving.

A good example of Max Summer tires for both street use and autocross is Michelin Pilot Super Sport, comes in sizes for 17" or 18" wheels.

Your JCW MINI can fit either 17" or 18" wheels. It not a matter of one being that much different than the other but more what your total budget is and do you have storage space for a separate set of wheels.

Using a separate race wheel/tire set you save wear to make the tires last longer and you keep your other set for daily driving use.

What are your current tires on the OEM 18" wheels? Runflats?

Having a separate set of race wheels with full race tires (R compound tires) will give you more grip but aren't meant for any street driving and would not be legal in DS class autocross, you'd be bumped up to D Street Prepared.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Minijcw2016
Neutral
Thank you Minihune. Based on everyones advise I,ll go with a second set to Autocross.
I have no budget (open) and I know tires are important. What size Will be better, 17" or 18"?
Recommend specific tire please.
Any wheels that you can recommend?

Thank you all

Old 05-20-2017, 01:25 PM
minihune
OK you have a 2016 MINI Cooper JCW but what model? Cooper S? Hardtop?

You have two options for having two sets.

OEM 18" wheels and add Extreme Summer tires (best for autocross but wears fast on street so just drive to events and change back to street wheels when you have time). Store race wheels in cool indoor area away for sources of ozone and heat. This option allows you to compete in D Street class which is favorable to start in. Requires the least amount of mods within class so playing field is more even for drivers.

second set of wheels can be any for street use and does not need to be OEM sized for autocross but could be OEM if you wanted that option at some point. Reason being a different street tire was preferable in a 17" size.

You can use 17x7" and 215/45-17 tires which give good tire selection for street use. 18" wheels will likely need 40 or 45 series sidewalls which can be stiff riding for street use but depends on the exact model of tire. What are your current tires? Runflats? How do you like the ride quality now? Too stiff and jarring or OK, you like the handling?

The opposite approach is also possible. 17x7 et45 wheels with Extreme Summer tires for autocross and just keep your OEM 18" wheels and tires as is for street use.

Or go with 18" wheels for both race and street tires. If your current tires are still good and you want them then swap them to 18" aftermarket wheels (that look good to you) and use for street driving. OEM 18" wheels are legal for DS class.

The current autocross tire of choice is Bridgestone RE71R, others are trying to just catch up.

205/45-17 $145.45 each
215/45-17 $136.81 each
215/40-18 $172.22 each special priced at tirerack.com

Each tire size larger weighs about 1 lb more but that's OK.
215/40-18 will have the shortest stiffest sidewall which gives more responsive handling.
I have used 205/45-17 RE71R and they are also fine.