Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Enkei EV5 on 2009 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 PM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enkei EV5 on 2009 MCS

Please bear with me I'm learning the ins and outs of aftermarket modding.

I just got back from the mechanic shop and they installed my new wheels but strongly warned me they were not an ideal setup. I got a set of 17" Enkei EV5's and they said they were too big and are only held on at the bolts. Apparently the circumference was too great for a spacer of any kind.

I'm going to run these for the year but if this is the case I'd prefer to just replace them come next season. How can I tell if potential wheel setups I'll be looking into won't have the same problem?

I don't know all the specifications but here is what a Google search turned up:

Enkei EV5
17 x 7 +45
4 x 100/108 CB72.6
Hyper Black

Old 05-08-2017, 04:38 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
They are talking about the centerbore not being hubcentric on the hub. Most aftermarket wheels come with adapter rings for this use. As for not being safe, as long as the wheel bolts are torqued correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 AM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Really appreciate the feedback and the guidance. Should I be reaching out to Enkei then and asking them for MCS specific spacers? Also, would this result in the Tire Pressure monitor returning an error to the dash? My old tires had rubber valve stems so I don't think they have the fancy TPMS setup others have.

Since having these changed I have had the light coming on. Tonight I am going to reset the senor using the BC button. Over the weekend I did properly inflate everything to the 38psi pressure indicated on the door sticker. I'm still getting the error code. I've also got an ODBII Bluetooth module to read and clear error codes if that will help.

Really appreciate your feedback.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:48 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
If you don't have sensors, nothing you do will get rid of the light on the dash. You either have to live with it, or get sensors installed.

These are what you need to make your wheels hubcentric:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...our/3236199kt/

Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 AM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Correct me if I am wrong but the steel wheels I just took off the car with my winter tires did not throw an error and the valve stems were rubber. From what I understood the ones that go in the tires would be metallic not rubber.

With this being the case would that not mean that the model I have uses a different sensor system? Or is it going to be as simple as resetting the error code in the BC function menu?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Can't say for sure what's actually going on without knowing more. All I know is that the TPMS requires sensors in the wheels.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 AM
PushThePace
1st Gear
Appreciate it Nik! I've been to the shop 3 times in 2 weeks and I'm just trying my best to avoid dragging this out.