Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Parking brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:35 AM
thrash0249
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking brake issues

Hey guys,

I noticed an issue with the parking brake. On steep hills, with the e brake all the way up the car still wants to move when not on gear. The handle stays up, just in some situations it still wants to roll. I don't feel there is a whole lot of resistance when pulling the brake up. It used to go up like 4 clicks now it goes up 10ish. Is it just parking brake lines? Or is there some other things I should check into as well?

we had to get it towed recently. When we were trying push it, it didn't want roll all that well. The tow truck guy said that one of the brakes might be dragging. I think it is too. Is that an issue with cables too?

finally, if it's the cables, any suggestions on a replacement, If not I am sure I can find one on here.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 AM
TBeast
1st Gear
Probably the e-brake hinge on either of the rear calipers is stuck or a cable broke, both of these are common issues. Have you done any brake work before this happened?
The rear calipers are easy to inspect at the point where the cable attaches to it.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:55 AM
thrash0249
1st Gear
Rear brakes were replace maybe a year ago. Over recent time I have notices that the Handle tension has been getting looser. Like I said they still work on most grade levels, but on extreme cases it needs to stay in gear. I will start by taking a look at the rear brakes.

I posted on here just looking validation before I start ordering parts