Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

is it a good tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM
genik
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think i chose the wrong tire!

I've just fitted on my R56S the Dunlop Sprt Maxx RT run flat tires and I must say that they are nothing like the ones I had before (CONTINENTAL conti sport 03 run flats). The Dunlop although are more comfortable and silent on the road it seems that on hard corners they kinda slide sideways more than the Continental!! I don't know if this can be hazardous on more extreme driving but it certainly gives a pretty scary feeling!
Has anyone had a similar experience?

Last edited by genik; 03-08-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:02 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
What was the weather like? Cold?

Sport Maxx RT runflats get a good review from customers at tirerack:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...x+RT+RunOnFlat

But they are summer tires and not meant for any cold weather near or below 40 degrees. They would offer no grip with cold weather.

Though ContiSportContact 3 SSR are also Max Summer tires, some owners report that in cold weather they still provide some grip-
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tContact+3+SSR

When you say "hard corners" you may be entering the turn a bit too fast causing some understeer which is too be expected. If you have good levels of grip when you are approaching the turn then need to turn tight you have to watch your speed and slow down enough for that tight radius. Brake in a straight line to slow efficiently then control speed as needed to make the turn.

Yes, it can be hazardous to be going too fast for a given turn and maintaining traction and control is the best strategy.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM
genik
5th Gear
The grip in corners with Continentals though was better. The Dunlop have a smoother ride but on corners I do not go as fast!
Has anyone had a similar experience with this comparison?

Old 03-14-2017, 11:34 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
If they are brand new tires, you need to give them a few hundred miles for the molding release compound to wear off. When the tires are manufactured, the tire molds are coated with a releasing agent to help the rubber not stick to the mold. New tires still have this greasy substance on them, and you need to give it some time to wear off before the rubber actually will stick to the road.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 PM
genik
5th Gear
Ive done over 1500km with them and its not just the traction on cornering but also that they feel a bit more wobbly when trying to heat them up (turning steering wheel left n right fast).

Old 03-14-2017, 03:31 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So... what has the weather been like where you live?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 PM
genik
5th Gear
It is about 10-15 degrees C