Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Your new Mini comes with summer run-flats...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 01:46 PM
Squirrelly
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your new Mini comes with summer run-flats...

Your brand new Mini comes with low mileage wear summer run-flats... And you really wanted long mileage high performance all season tires. This has been my dilemma a couple of times in the past as I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest (USA) and often travel the mountain passes in the winter.

Solution: I was disappointed a few years ago by getting less than 20K miles wear and poor wet & snow performance on a new BMW 5 with OEM summer high performance tires. So I've done this twice on subsequent new cars - I took my brand new car into a local tire shop and negotiated a straight across in value tire swap for high performance all season tires with a 50K-60K treadwear projection. All I had to pay for was the mounting/balancing and tire warranties. I get free air checks, rotation, balances, flat fixes and a great treadwear replacement warranty. You don't get that with OEM tires!

Old 01-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
What tire store is taking driven on tires in trade?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Squirrelly
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
What tire store is taking driven on tires in trade?
The tires exchanged were only a couple of days driven on the road. The two times I've done this deal were at Discount Tire stores - One in San Diego and the other in the Seattle area. They re-sell the tires as "Take-offs". It could be at the store manager's discretion.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Good idea, just talk to your local tire shop and inquire before you buy.

Not a bad idea, most of us will just use the OEM tires and wear them out in whatever miles it will take then switch at that time.

For street use, Ultra High Performance All Season tires are a good match for Cooper S and JCW models, Grand Touring All Season tires are a good choice for base Cooper models or for those that drive more miles or drive on bad roads.

To get better tread life, rotate tires every 4000 miles or sooner, front tires will wear faster than rears, at about double the rate on the rears.