Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Appraisal: ES100 for AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 12:34 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Appraisal: ES100 for AutoX

I have a set of 215/45-17s on a set of SSR Comps that I was able to pick up used as a complete set. The tires were at about half depth at that time. I have run 3 autocrosses (12 ~60 sec runs) and about 4k miles. The tread stand at about .125 inch at the low point, the outer edge.

The tires are showing quite a bit of abuse. The tread blocks are breaking away on the trailing edges in the outer 2 inches. This is decreasing the footprint in the corners (no camber adjuster.) As tread has disappeared, I've found that decreasing the pressure has made the tires bite a little more. The shallow tread has also increased the tires performance. Especially after the tire has broken loose, it's much easier to recover. The tires are also much better when hot and they take quite a bit of effort to get them up to temp. When they are hot, they're become very sticky to the point of transferring rubber to the hand. But when over heated, they become unpredictable and tricky to manage.

I'm not going to get another set because I want to try a set of MX's (assuming nothing else is available in spring) but that doesn't mean others shouldn't. They make a great all around summer tire for those wanting wet weather performance and a few autocrosses a year and an inexpensive tire. Because they're not holding up all that well, I don't reccommend them for those who are anticipating a heavy autox schedule (>4 events) or for those who worry about everyday driving on abused tires. If they functioned a little better when cold, they might make a great autox rain tire (once worn or shaved.) In the wet, they would never get worm enough to take advantage of the increased grip that comes with the heat. One final note, in their current state, they are quite loud on all but the most perfect pavement.

I think these tires show exactly where Yoko compromised to make a price point. But for the price point, they probably are the best all-around street tire available.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:41 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they can rid the noise and tramlining, I would be happy.

Originally Posted by DancesWithCones
I have a set of 215/45-17s on a set of SSR Comps that I was able to pick up used as a complete set. The tires were at about half depth at that time. I have run 3 autocrosses (12 ~60 sec runs) and about 4k miles. The tread stand at about .125 inch at the low point, the outer edge.

The tires are showing quite a bit of abuse. The tread blocks are breaking away on the trailing edges in the outer 2 inches. This is decreasing the footprint in the corners (no camber adjuster.) As tread has disappeared, I've found that decreasing the pressure has made the tires bite a little more. The shallow tread has also increased the tires performance. Especially after the tire has broken loose, it's much easier to recover. The tires are also much better when hot and they take quite a bit of effort to get them up to temp. When they are hot, they're become very sticky to the point of transferring rubber to the hand. But when over heated, they become unpredictable and tricky to manage.

I'm not going to get another set because I want to try a set of MX's (assuming nothing else is available in spring) but that doesn't mean others shouldn't. They make a great all around summer tire for those wanting wet weather performance and a few autocrosses a year and an inexpensive tire. Because they're not holding up all that well, I don't reccommend them for those who are anticipating a heavy autox schedule (>4 events) or for those who worry about everyday driving on abused tires. If they functioned a little better when cold, they might make a great autox rain tire (once worn or shaved.) In the wet, they would never get worm enough to take advantage of the increased grip that comes with the heat. One final note, in their current state, they are quite loud on all but the most perfect pavement.

I think these tires show exactly where Yoko compromised to make a price point. But for the price point, they probably are the best all-around street tire available.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:45 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by DancesWithCones

I have the same sized tire on centerline RPM 17x7 rims and have always taken care of the tires. Now with about 9000 miles on them there is no tramlining noticed and not any excessive road noise from when they were newer- seems pretty smooth to me and reasonably quiet.

I took them on the track today for two 15 minute sessions and they performed very very well. This month I will run them on an autocross course during test and tune day to see how they feel compared to my Kumho Victoracer 205/50-15 competition wheels.

My street performance from them has always been excellent wet or dry. They are a heck of alot cheaper than Bridgestone Potenza S-03 or Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3 tires. So far they are wearing really well and I am not having much success wearing them down fast enough so I can buy some other tires like Falken ST-115 (the quiet ones).

Old 09-08-2004, 11:58 AM
scobib
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've autocrossed on my ES100's quite a bit, along with spirited motoring... If you set the pressures right, the outside blocks shouldn't tear up all that bad - I was running 37 up front and 32 in the rears and found that setup to be the ticket. I also found that they took a couple runs to get some heat in them and make them less slippery, but then my 4th run they were too hot and back to being a little slippery. We do 4 morning runs and 4 afternoon runs with the Lone Star Chapter of the BMWCCA - third run was always the best. Surface is rough asphalt...

FWIW, the ES100's proved to be very nice for autocrossing - sharp turn-in, never got really loose on me, and always provided lots of feedback. Allowed me to win my class at every single event I ran with them (non-SCCA), and also allowed me to be competitive in STS.

My main complaint about the ES100's is that they do wear quite quickly, IMHO. I'd think that even with no autocrossing and only spirited street driving that they'd only be good for 15k miles max - I'm at nearly 8k miles on mine and lots of autocrosses and I'll be lucky if they last to 10k miles even now that they have been retired from autocrossing...

I've now got a set of Azenis mounted on some track rims for autocrossing now, so I may be able to nurse a bit more mileage out of the ES100's on the street. The Azenis made autocrossing even more fun, though, as they are just freakin' awesome.