Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

My April 1st project.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Sudzie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My April 1st project.

So I decided since I can't afford a new set of wheels for this spring I would paint my current ones.
This is what they started out as. 17x7 Core Racing, Black Widows. They were on the car when I got it.

Step one: Sanding.
So after about a hour of actual sanding by hand I said **** this. Found out I can sent them to get sand blasted through work for free. Bam

When I got them back I was kinda liking the ruffed up surface. Debated on using some sandable primer, but decided to try it out.

Step two: Cleaned and primer.
Used dupli-color wax and grease remover and clean them up. Gave them a shot of self etching primer. Could only find grey. Was hoping for a white pimer, but I made this work.

Step three: Base coat.
Since I could not find a white primer I laid down a white base to brighten up my final color.

Center caps sanded down, pimed and base.

Step five: Final color.
Yes I know... Orange. I wanted something other then the usual black. Had a few different colors in mind but ended up going with grabber orange. (hemi orange)

First coat on the face.

Second coat on face.

Inside of the barrel done. Some touch ups on the face. And a couple coats on the center caps.

Step six: What to put on the center caps.
I didn't want to leave them all orange. Spent a couple days trying to figure out what I wanted to do with them. Something to do with JCW ( John Cooper Works). Drew out a bunch of different looks and lettering and ended up going with this.

Made up a stencil using some thick paper, thin paper, staples, a razor blade, and a pen. Found my final sizing that would fit on the center caps and then started to draw it out on the thin paper. Took a few goes at it before I figured out how I would do it. I cut out all the blacked out areas by pushing the razer down through it. Side by side I cut out all the little square...ish shapes. Took me about a hour and by the end my hand was shacking like a ****.

The finished stencel and a couple of test sprays.

All four caps and my stencil. I didn't get them perfectly in the middle but no big deal. Had a couple minor bleeds on two of them. I'm happy with the end result.

I'm letting the paint sit and cure for now. Going to put a couple coats of clear on it to give them some shine.