Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire Recommendations--Your Favs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffs2
I just upgraded from the ContiProContact SSR to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and have been very happy with the results. Can't say anything yet about snow/ice traction yet, but the dry handling has been significantly improved. The car feels more stable with the Pilot's; turn-in is much smoother and has significantly more grip. The conti's felt wrong to me... handling with the conti's were bad enough that I thought there may have been a suspension problem with my new car...turns out it was thankfully just the tires.

While they wont be confused with slicks or max performance summer tires, they held up well on the track. I was actually even able keep pace with another mini on Potenza RE-11s, so maybe they aren't much different then a summer tire. They communicate well when they are at their limits, and when taken past fail in a predictable manner. I don't notice any additional noise, and comfort level is about the same...maybe a smidge better.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is a good example of a Ultra High Performance All Season tire, a blend of good handling in dry or wet, three season plus light snow ready, comfortable for daily use, and good on treadwear.

There are three rubber compounds in the tire.
"The tread compound in both shoulders improves dry handling, the compound used between the shoulders and center rib enhances wet, snow and cold weather traction while the compound used in the center rib boosts wet traction. These three compounds are molded into a directional tread design (shared with Pilot Sport A/S tires) that features a continuous circumferential center rib (to provide communicative road feel and reduce noise on dry roads), high angle directional tread blocks (to sharpen steering response and dry road handling) along with circumferential and high angle lateral grooves (to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction)."

Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=147
Perhaps better in dry than in wet.

Example 205/45-17 $162 each, 500 treadwear

For any track or Driving event it is the skill of the driver that makes the most difference. Tires alone are not going to be enough to stay ahead. The Pilot Sport A/S Plus is capable.

Compare that with a Max Summer tire-

Michelin Pilot Super sport
205/45-17 $209 each, 300 treadwear
Designed for the world's best sportscars to provide superior handling in both dry or wet.
"The Pilot Super Sport features an asymmetric design molded of Michelin’s Bi-Compound tread rubber featuring a Le Mans-inspired dry compound outboard side-by-side with their latest generation of wet compound inboard. The low-void outboard shoulder features a track-type compound to withstand the stresses of high performance cornering while the notched center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a compound designed for superior performance at very high speeds and in wet conditions.

The tire's internal structure features twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) winds the Twaron cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto fishing reels to allow Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength. The Pilot Super Sport features a polyester carcass to promote a comfortable ride and responsive handling."

Tirerack test results-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=162
Impressive dry handling scores vs the competition

I'm sure if you had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on your MINI for a driving event you would be able to feel the difference. But they cost more and wear faster. They are a great tire for the MINI.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
jeffs2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with everything you said minihune. I was pleasantly surprised by how capable the A/S tires were on the track. Yes, definitely a difference from a max summer like the super sport (I've tracked an older version of that tire on a previous car), but not as much of a difference as I would have thought. Most importantly, it held levels of grip and handling well beyond what anyone should need on the street. If I was planning on going to the track more frequently I would get a set of summer and winter tires; but unless that happens I'm totally sold on the max performance A/S tires being the solution (er, assuming it holds up in the light snow).

Oh, I agree with you with the driver being a significant (if not most significant) factor on the track. In this case it was someone with similar experience/skill. What the A/S gives up in grip, they make up for a little bit by being easier to find and drive at and past the limit.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
kkcshipp
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just put a set on my wife's Countryman S and ordered a set for my MCS after driving her car. You can get $70 rebate when you buy 4.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffs2
Agree with everything you said minihune. I was pleasantly surprised by how capable the A/S tires were on the track. Yes, definitely a difference from a max summer like the super sport (I've tracked an older version of that tire on a previous car), but not as much of a difference as I would have thought. Most importantly, it held levels of grip and handling well beyond what anyone should need on the street. If I was planning on going to the track more frequently I would get a set of summer and winter tires; but unless that happens I'm totally sold on the max performance A/S tires being the solution (er, assuming it holds up in the light snow).

Oh, I agree with you with the driver being a significant (if not most significant) factor on the track. In this case it was someone with similar experience/skill. What the A/S gives up in grip, they make up for a little bit by being easier to find and drive at and past the limit.
From tirerack's test of the Pilot Sport A/S Plus:

What We Liked: Crisp steering response and nimble handling
What We'd Improve: Wet handling and traction
Conclusion: An older tire that's sporty and fun to drive

I think that sums it up well.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
I have a set of Falken 512's with 26,000 miles on them - they were my first set of summer tires and I loved the performance, but after 10,000 miles they became very noisy. Although there's a life left in them, I'm getting Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports tomorrow. I won't buy another set of Falkens though the price was right at the time.

The RE760 is an ultra high performance summer tire and with a treadware rating of 340 so they'll last longer than stock run-flats and the Falkens.

Just thought I'd share what I researched this winter and the Bridgestones come highly recommended from some other MINI owners, too.
Just an update... Almost 4 years later and 37,860 miles - finally time for a new set. Performance of these tires was outstanding and with that kind of tread life, I'll be getting another set this spring.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:49 PM
BHat1Trey
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Just an update... Almost 4 years later and 37,860 miles - finally time for a new set. Performance of these tires was outstanding and with that kind of tread life, I'll be getting another set this spring.
Thanks for sharing! Just started researching what non-run flat options are available that are serious considerations for replacement and I recently found Costco has these tires for $92.49 each with a manufacturer's discount of $70 for a set of four until April 8, 2015.