Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Broken Wilwood bleeder valve....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Broken Wilwood bleeder valve....

Anybody run into this on a Wilwood or any other brand caliper valve? Freaky thing to have happen especially since we didn't even touch the thing until we went to bleed the brakes. And we never even put a wrench on it, just the valve that goes into this brass fiting. Could the little valve itself have torqued it enough to snap it in half when it was being closed/opened?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd guess so...

This design seem to have lots of small parts as opposed to one that is a single piece. It's brass which is pretty soft as well..

Matt

Old 05-19-2008, 05:21 AM
wrxmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S-Driver
Anybody run into this on a Wilwood or any other brand caliper valve? Freaky thing to have happen especially since we didn't even touch the thing until we went to bleed the brakes. And we never even put a wrench on it, just the valve that goes into this brass fiting. Could the little valve itself have torqued it enough to snap it in half when it was being closed/opened?

get yourself some speed bleeders,one person operation and they work great

Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Got it handled for him.

All Wilwood bleeders are two piece. Yes you can pull the brass and replace with a M10-1.0 single bleeder if you prefer. However note that if you do a modest amount of bleedings...in time you'll likely damage the aluminum or worse; brake it off with out the ease of removal shown above. I was not a fan of this until I saw the merits over time and now I agree it's a better plan in the long run.

In a pinch you can of course use a single nipple (napa) or move the dbl fitting from the bottom and put a dummy single in it for the short while.

A lot of folks do have a habit of over tightening the smaller 1/4-28 threaded nipple.