Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:37 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position Tires

I'm about to get a set for my 17" wheels (215/45) and wondered if anyone has gotten them for their Mini and have an opinion.

I plan to get a set of dedicated winter tires, but am lazy so am looking at the all seasons since I might not have my winter wheels on before the first snow. And I get the impression that even in dry weather the summer tires don't like the cold that much. I'm in PA.

I'm also looking to get a better ride quality than the runflats have. I do not go to the track (but if I did, I wouldn't be using these tires).

UPDATE: I ordered a set and they should be here tomorrow. No more runflats. whoopeeeeeeee. I'd still like to hear comments from those who actually hhave these on their cars.

Last edited by jascooper; 09-06-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
I'm interested in these tires as well. Please post your impressions.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:37 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds good. i was going to get those or the AvidW4's, but
ended up getting sumitomo HTR+'s in the same size for my MCS.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
jascooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Hwydsgnr
I'm interested in these tires as well. Please post your impressions.
It's been awhile, but I've finally put some miles on these in varying conditions. They replaced the Dunlop OEM performance runflats. Here's my impressions.

Traction: No chirping or slipping when accelerating from a stop like the Dunlops.

Comfort: Not as much improvement as I expected, but still better than the runflats (duh).

Noise: These were rated very quiet. I expected more, but now that they've broken in they have quieted down some. It makes a big difference depending on the road surface.

Wet Weather Handling: This is where these guys really shine. It was pouring rain, and I hit a few heavy puddles. No hydroplaning or wandering. Grip well on curves. Inspire confidence on wet roads.

Wear: I've got 1,500 miles on them, so can't tell for sure, but I don't notice much wear. With 2,000 miles on the Dunlops, you could see them get thinner after every drive.

Stability: At high speeds, these tires are rock solid. If you happen to be on the Autobahn, you could easily go 130 without concern. They're Z rated, but for all season tires, that's pretty good.

Overall: At $140 apiece, these aren't cheap tires (but a lot less than $230 for runflats that will probably be gone in 15,000 miles). I bought a set of winter wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, but if it happens to snow or freeze before I get them on, I'll feel confident that they won't falter like the performance runflats. I'd probably buy them again, if they ever wear out.

Definitely worth considering if you live in an area with mild winters, or want a good long lasting all around tire. Not available in 205/45/17 but the change in diameter with the 215s is negligible. But they're not lightweight (I think about 25lbs apiece). Combined with MINI web spoke wheels, that's a bit of unsprung weight.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Hwydsgnr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jascooper
It's been awhile, but I've finally put some miles on these in varying conditions. They replaced the Dunlop OEM performance runflats. Here's my impressions.

Traction: No chirping or slipping when accelerating from a stop like the Dunlops.

Comfort: Not as much improvement as I expected, but still better than the runflats (duh).

Noise: These were rated very quiet. I expected more, but now that they've broken in they have quieted down some. It makes a big difference depending on the road surface.

Wet Weather Handling: This is where these guys really shine. It was pouring rain, and I hit a few heavy puddles. No hydroplaning or wandering. Grip well on curves. Inspire confidence on wet roads.

Wear: I've got 1,500 miles on them, so can't tell for sure, but I don't notice much wear. With 2,000 miles on the Dunlops, you could see them get thinner after every drive.

Stability: At high speeds, these tires are rock solid. If you happen to be on the Autobahn, you could easily go 130 without concern. They're Z rated, but for all season tires, that's pretty good.

Overall: At $140 apiece, these aren't cheap tires (but a lot less than $230 for runflats that will probably be gone in 15,000 miles). I bought a set of winter wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport M3s, but if it happens to snow or freeze before I get them on, I'll feel confident that they won't falter like the performance runflats. I'd probably buy them again, if they ever wear out.

Definitely worth considering if you live in an area with mild winters, or want a good long lasting all around tire. Not available in 205/45/17 but the change in diameter with the 215s is negligible. But they're not lightweight (I think about 25lbs apiece). Combined with MINI web spoke wheels, that's a bit of unsprung weight.
Thanks for the update.

As it turns out, I took advantage of the recent Discount Tire Sale ($100 off 4 tires plus free shipping) and bought the Goodyear F1 All-Seasons for $436.
Not as big a selection as the Tire Rack, but I couldn't pass-up the price.

Should be getting them this week.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys looking for a/s tire should seriously try the SumitomoHTR+'s.

these have been fantastic on my MCS. very quiet, comfy ride.
and grips pretty good through the turns... much better than the DSST
SP9000's.