Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Bummed with TireRack Service

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 AM
xbook
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bummed with TireRack Service

Hiya All,

This is a question I have for those that have been TireRack customers in the past. Is the level of service you get from TireRack, what you expect from a discount vendor? As in, cheap price=no service.

This is why I ask. After seeing TireRack be the sponsor of the Tire & Brake Forum here @ NAM, I figured that would be a great place to suggest my girlfriend buy tires from. Monday morning, 2 of her 4 tires showed up at her shipping address and she had a voicemail from some guy 40 miles from here saying he had her other tires. She contacted TireRack, and the woman on the phone was less than helpful. She informed my g/f that TireRack would get the tires from the other guy they were shipped to, and have them to her in 2 days, or possbibly 3. That would mean the tires will most likely be delivered Monday. That would be 5 business days to get them shipped to her, instead of the 2 days she paid for. As a result, TireRack offered to refund $20 of the $35 shipping charge.

Personally I find this unacceptable. And being that I am in the market for some R-compound Dr. Feelgood tires, I am pretty certain TireRack will not recieve my business for this sale. If am going to be spending $800+ for track tires and wheels, I kind of refuse to get screwed like my g/f did...

Anyone have similar troubles??

Last edited by xbook; 06-13-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you think they should have done? Mistakes are made - TR is not the shipper, so it wasn't even their mistake, but they are refunding more than half the shipping. Seems to me they are doing the right thing.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Pendergast
6th Gear
OK, it appears there was a mistake in shipping, they agreed to get it corrected and refunded a bit of your money. I'm wondering what more you expect from Tirerack then that. Mistakes happen.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:41 AM
mozzarella
Banned
I've had nothing but great service from them.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Just saw this thread in the little sidebar thingie and had to pop in to shower accolades on TireRack -- I've used them twice so far and they've been great both times. Especially the second time, when there was a problem with my credit card and they kept calling until they reached me so that they could rectify the issue in time to ship my tire/wheel package in accordance with the shipping I paid.

If I were you, I'd be irked at the shippers, rather than TireRack.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Like OMToast, stated it's FedEx or UPS's fault not Tire Rack..

If they forgot to ship them that would be another thing...

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
WOW I dunno what more you would expect Tire Rack to do
Once the tires leave their warehouse the delivery responsibility shifts to the shipping company. I think what they did for you was plenty fair. I have placed 3 orders with Tire Rack & have received stellar service each time but if you wanna cut your nose off to spite your face & pay more for your new tires elsewhere... I say go for it

Last edited by bamatt; 06-13-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Need
4th Gear
I am in the internet retail business and our number 1 complain is shipping. It doesn't matter which shipper we used, there has to be mistakes eventually if you ship enough items out. Tirerack in OP's case is trying to correct the problem and refund part of the shipping. That's what I would have done. If the customer complains again, I would refund the full shipping, but that would be it. It is the shipper's fault, I lose on shipping, write it off and go on.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:38 PM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
Nothing but love for Tire Rack. I ordered a set of tires from them after several back and forth emails with Alex. Not problems or compliants with them.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
4 sets of wheels, 7 sets of tires, all from TireRack. Wouldn't THINK of going anywhere else unless they didn't carry what I was looking for.

I've had ONE issue with a tirerack order. When I had my first MINI, I ordered Prodrive P1 wheels with Yokohama AVS 100s. They are directional tires, and when I got the order, I had three 'lefts' and only one 'right'. One quick call to tirerack, and a local installer was contacted. I took the tire there, they flipped it around, and sent me on my way, no questions asked. What more could I ask for?

So in your case, the shipper messed up, and tirerack still refunded some of your shipping money, even though it most likely wasn't their issue at all. I'd say that is great customer service.

TireRack has built their entire reputation on great customer service, and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who will complain about them.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Another in favor of Tire Rack's EXCELLENT service.

I don't think your girlfriend got "screwed", she just had the bad luck of being on the bad end of a mistake. It sucks - I'd be bummed too if I had to wait a few more days for something that I was expecting a certain day - but it happens.

It sounds like the cs rep at Tire Rack *was* very helpful, by seeing that the problem gets corrected and refunding some of your shipping charge. What else could she/they do? It's not like she can go back in time and make the shipping error not happen.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have never bought from Tirerack, but not because of Tirerack, but for concern about the shipping and importing to Canada. Nonetheless, Alex and the folks at Tirerack have been nothing but helpful and courteous as to inquiries and recommendations about tires. I would recommend them to anybody in a heartbeat.

This issue you have is a shipping mistake made by the shipping company and not Tirerack. That is always a concern when you go mail-order.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
rubyred3
4th Gear
I used to love tire rack, and I can certainly never complain about service I've had from them, but I am now a loyal discount tire customer. They have a local shop, but they match tire racks prices, and throw mounting, and lifetime balancing and rotations on top of it. I also get a great deal there cuz my friend works for them. What more could you ask for?

That being said, Tire Rack has done everything they can in this case. They are usually excellent with customer service, I was a loyal customer of theres for years.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Have ordered from Tire Rack many times. Very good prices, very good
selection very fast service, good advice when requested, and yes,
an occasional mistake but always corrected reasonably.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
I just want to know when Tire Rack will carry Falken Azenis RT615's!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Jughead
4th Gear
I have not had any problems with them so far. I also know that various dealerships(local Audi) use them for tires and rims as well.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I have been pleased with Tire Rack, as well. I had to call their Customer Service dept. yesterday and received great input. As for the delivery of my new tires, I was phoned by T.R. just prior to their being shipped and received them 2 days later! Ya can't ask for better service than that!

There is a Discount Tire store about 20 miles from me. While they are very nice to talk with, their pricing is outrageous when compared to Tire Rack's pricing of the same tires [even their internet store prices]. Yes, I realize there are mounting charges and the like, but I actually save money ordering from Tire Rack, in that I pay no state tax when they ship to Ohio.

Last edited by welshmenwillnotyield; 06-13-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
70spop
6th Gear
You know, if time really *is* that much of a problem for you (like you had reserved some time at a shop this weekend and couldn't get them installed for another month afterward... or something), and you wanted to press the issue, you might see if they would FedEx you a pair of tires overnight and have the others picked up and returned to them. I'd bet that that would be a fairly expensive proposition, though, and even if they didn't pass on the extra charge to you, I don't think you'd be looking at a refund.

Like I said, if it's a real problem, call them and ask. Don't be rude about it, but ask. Tire Rack is very helpful.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mozzarella
I've had nothing but great service from them.
Ditto.

Sorry about your experience, xbook, but it is the shipper's error, not TR's.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xbook
Hiya All,

This is a question I have for those that have been TireRack customers in the past. Is the level of service you get from TireRack, what you expect from a discount vendor? As in, cheap price=no service.

This is why I ask. After seeing TireRack be the sponsor of the Tire & Brake Forum here @ NAM, I figured that would be a great place to suggest my girlfriend buy tires from. Monday morning, 2 of her 4 tires showed up at her shipping address and she had a voicemail from some guy 40 miles from here saying he had her other tires. She contacted TireRack, and the woman on the phone was less than helpful. She informed my g/f that TireRack would get the tires from the other guy they were shipped to, and have them to her in 2 days, or possbibly 3. That would mean the tires will most likely be delivered Monday. That would be 5 business days to get them shipped to her, instead of the 2 days she paid for. As a result, TireRack offered to refund $20 of the $35 shipping charge.

Personally I find this unacceptable. And being that I am in the market for some R-compound Dr. Feelgood tires, I am pretty certain TireRack will not recieve my business for this sale. If am going to be spending $800+ for track tires and wheels, I kind of refuse to get screwed like my g/f did...

Anyone have similar troubles??

So let me get this right you ordered tires from tires rack and only got two. You then called tire rack and told them what had happen. They took responsibility and refuned you some money back? WOW I wish everyones customer service sucked that bad.

How did your G/F get screwed? Things happen thats just life. They took care of it best they could. Sounds like someone has been rich there whole life and is used to everyone kissing there butt. Get over yourself. If you want to pay more for Rims and tires go for it.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:16 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im not sure wat happened to the 2 tires that got shipped somewhere else.
If the label was incorrect then it's tirerack's fault, but if it was addressed
to your g/f place, then it's the carrier... you can't blame tirerack for that.
at least tirerack tried to make things better by giving your g/f some discount
on the purchase. There's really not much else you can do other than to
wait.

Ive had instances where UPS shipped 3 of the 4 wheel set and left the
one piece at their hub on a Friday. I had to fight with UPS to give me
that one wheel. took me 5hrs back and forth for them to locate it and
have it ready at their hub to be picked up after work.. I get there and
they can't find it again cause some stupid teen UPS employee at the
counter was sitting (yes literally sitting) on my wheel.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:50 PM
minibot
3rd Gear
I recently got some wheels and tires from Tirerack, and I can't fault them for their service either. I e-mailed Alex, and he was very helpful over e-mail, and when I called, he offered more input and pros-cons. He also suggested a local installer (I don't have garage space at home, need to build one). I'm not sure where they can go wrong there.

As to the specific circumstances your girlfriend faced, the problem really is with FedEx or UPS, and not TireRack. If you want to complain, just login and grab your tracking number from TireRack and see if maybe there was a typo on the delivery address. I'm pretty sure that you'll find that TireRack did good, and it's the shipping company's fault.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:51 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just bought 8 tires from Tire Rack for 2 of my cars, everything went as expected, no hitches, so I have to give them a thumbs up as well.

That said, I was a great fan of Discount Tire when I lived in Colorado and California. Great service while you wait and good prices as well.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
JerseyBoy
1st Gear
Being somewhat new to run flats and buying an 02' I wanted to replace
the run flats that were on the car. Alex talked with me for more than
thirty mintues and gave me all kinds fo information. Big help!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
To augment my original post I will say that I've gotten 2 sets of wheels and mounted tires from Tirerack and was pleased with both. Shipping was as expected and they arrived in excellent condition.

Quick Reply: Bummed with TireRack Service