Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension New axle and hub/bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:36 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New axle and hub/bearing

THE VIBRATION IS COMPLETELY GONE!

After 62,000 potehole miles, I replaced the right side (passenger) axle/CV joints and hub/bearing this morning in a 118 degree garage. The axle/CV joints and intermediate shaft bearing are sold as a Mini/BMW re-manufactured unit. $430.00 plus a $30.00 core charge. I was assured that these are factory re-manufactured units and not after market. Both inner and outer CV joints were loose and clicking.

I had a helper when I needed an extra pair of hands. The job took 1.5 hours from set up to clean up. The only difficult part was reaching the upper most bolt (three in total) that fastens the intermediate shaft bearing...a little bit of a bear to get back in as there is little room to use a socket wrench - one click at a time. Other than that and the temps it was straight forward.

Haven't gone for a good ride yet, but I'm hoping that the vibration is now gone. The original hub bearing felt pretty darn good...in fact not that different from the new one. But as my luck goes, I would have left the original and it would have failed. Intermediate shaft bearing and the hub bearing are different for those out of the know.

I'll change the other axle when I change the clutch...which is feeling a bit weird...

So lets take stock in the replacements so far; all new ball joints, all new tie rods, new Powerflex control arm bushings, new right side axle and hub bearing. I'm beginning to wonder if my car was a Road & Track test car placed back into the fleet???

Old 07-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Petrich
4th Gear
Pse keep us posted on the results

Michael,

What a hassle. Thanks for the information. Pse remember to post your observations after Tuesday. Am assuming that Tuesday is a track day.

John Petrich in Seattle

Old 07-15-2006, 06:17 AM
meb
6th Gear
Yes! I'll post in HPDE area. The weather is supposed to be great, but hot.

The set up is different...I think better but without corner balancing this time as I'm still playing. The venue is different too; Watkins Glen...lots to keep track of there.

I'm having nightmares about the axle letting loose; the job was waaay too easy ...did I forget anything???...I put 200 miles on the car yesterday and no problems.

I've still got that left right pulling problem after BMW/MINI installed the sub-frame. But they'll have the car back soon; everything else is new so I've narrowed down the possibilities. All the ball joints rotate freely as does the rack when both outer tie rods are removed. The only other possibility is the stock endlinks or rack.