Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension VIDEO How-To: Rear Swaybar Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
VIDEO How-To: Rear Swaybar Install

Hi all!

A few weeks ago I had to replace my upgraded rear swaybar with the stock unit until I could get some parts replaced. It took about 2.5 hours to do the work the first time because I couldn't find all of the bolts and I was a bit unsure of the process because I just couldn't SEE it being done. I can remember thinking "If I only had a video...", so when I invited my local club over for a rear swaybar install day (we did 6 cars in one afternoon, including Jango), I got out my digital camera and went to work.

Here is a step-by-step breakdown of the entire install process. All of the usual disclaimers apply... I'm not a professional mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. This video shows how we did it... not how it should be done or even a remotely safe way to do the work. I call one of the rear suspension linkages a steering linkage somewhere in there (It must be the new GMC quadra-steer) and I have been told that the electronics box I point to is for Xenon leveling, not ABS. I also mention a 10-inch socket instead of a 10mm socket... you will just have to cut me some slack.

I am not advertising this as "THE" way to do the install. This is the way that we did it and it seems to have worked. The camera and shooting the video was more of an afterthought. None of it was scripted or planned, so no more research was put into it. I did a bit of research, after the fact, to put together the text of the instructions... hoping to counter my awful commentary.

The purpose of the video is to give everyone a better idea of the scope of the work and to help them get a frame of reference so that the other (much more technically correct) how-to's make more sense.

We had the process down to a 50 minute install by the end of the day. The first one took almost 2 hours. It helps to have air tools, but they definately aren't necessary. You will need a jack, 2 jack stands, a metric socket set with extensions, a 17mm open-end wrench and a torque wrench.

Good luck!

A 10 minute video How-To for a Rear Swaybar install (MC, MCS and Cabrios):

Quicktime:Windows Media Player:Other, better sources for technical information:

Outmotoring's How-to: http://outmotoring.com/How_to_rearswaybar.html
Webb Motorsport's How-to: http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...topic.php?t=14

Old 06-22-2006, 07:42 PM
Pankeyguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a nice thing to do!

Thanks,

Dave
2003 DS/B MCS with some stuff, but not a rear bar!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:02 PM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing I didn't notice until seeing the Quicktime (WMP stopped before the end on my Mac) is that MINIkat's boyfriend, Bart (Screamer) was a huge help, but didn't get on the credit list.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Great job. I could have used something like this last year when I installed mine. Written instructions (even those from Webb) can only go so far.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 PM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
What an awesome way to really help out your fellow motorers!

Great stuff!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dickdavid
One thing I didn't notice until seeing the Quicktime (WMP stopped before the end on my Mac) is that MINIkat's boyfriend, Bart (Screamer) was a huge help, but didn't get on the credit list.
Doh! I knew I'd forget someone! Bart's wrenching skills (and cool floor jack) came in handy and we leaned on both pretty hard. Thanks Screamer!

Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Minifiend
4th Gear
I plan on doing this install in a couple of weeks and I will definitely be watching this movie again. Thanks!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 PM
sddave
3rd Gear
Thanks to everyone who made this video!!!

I am getting ready to change out my sway bar and plan to watch this a couple of more times just to make sure I don't loosen something I shouldn't.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:28 AM
christychillired
1st Gear
Thanks, a great help. Anyway you want to do a video of the front swaybar Re/Re?

Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Sorry... the front sway isn't on my list of 'to-do' mods.

I'll probably try and do an 'oil change' how-to, and maybe a brake fluid flush and pad swap, but it will probably be a while for all of those.

If anyone wants to send me the parts, I'll shoot the video! Did you hear that vendors? I'll promise to mention your company name or URL in each step if you send the parts! Maybe I should give Sparks a call as well: www.sparks.com

Old 06-23-2006, 04:43 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
...I'll probably try and do an 'oil change' how-to...
Let me know if you want to shoot a Cooper as well.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:36 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea, good effort ,...... but that was very painful to watch.
I do applauded you for the effort on this, really, ... but you need to get some facts straight before you put something like this out to the public.
Things as simple as a 16" socket to rear steering linkage, to ABS sensor are just a few of the "what did he just say?" .
I say try again. Study the car a bit first so you can use the correct terms and also correctly identify the parts. Better lighting would really help.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:50 AM
ssallykat
5th Gear
We are planning on doing two installs this weekend. Thanks for the video!

This should help us out a bit, and let all of us know what exactly we are getting ourselves into.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:08 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Like I said in the first post... you are going to have to cut me some slack.

I'm not a mechanic... I'm just handy around the car and I try to do some of the work myself. I paid for my first rear swaybar install, but due to a malfunction, I had to learn how to install the stock bar by reading web how-to's. That was a frustrating afternoon so, on a lark, I put this together.

I am not advertising this as "THE" way to do the install. This is the way that we did it and it seems to have worked. The camera and shooting the video was more of an afterthought on a day were we were swaping out 6 swaybars. None of it was scripted or planned, so no more research was put into it. I did a bit of research, after the fact, to put together the text of the instructions... hoping to counter my awful commentary. Maybe next time I'll do it all in silence.

The purpose of the video is to give everyone a better idea of the scope of the work and to help them get a frame of reference so that the other (much more technically correct) how-to's make more sense.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:21 AM
kapps
6th Gear
maybe a brake fluid flush and pad swap, but it will probably be a while for all of those.
I'll be looking forward to this one.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:26 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
the hardest part when i was doing it by my self a while ago, was pulling out the old sway bar. at the end i had to just force it out, by breaking loose a chunk of wires near the heat shield..

after that, my car was out alignment cause of the subframe, etc etc.. i'm scared to touch my suspensions now.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:54 AM
agranger
6th Gear
We didn't have any trouble getting the old bars out, but some of the new bars were quite thick (H&R Comp) and were a bit of a challenge.

The hard part for us was to get the subframe back up to the body of the car (easy on the cabrio... needed the hammer technique on the others), but everything realigned easily once we got a couple of the subframe bolts threaded in.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 PM
MINIGolfer1
3rd Gear
Maybe I should give Sparks a call as well: www.sparks.com
Now that is a heck of an idea. I could go for a few of those about right now.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
MINIGolfer1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Great idea, good effort ,...... but that was very painful to watch.
I do applauded you for the effort on this, really, ... but you need to get some facts straight before you put something like this out to the public.
Things as simple as a 16" socket to rear steering linkage, to ABS sensor are just a few of the "what did he just say?" .
I say try again. Study the car a bit first so you can use the correct terms and also correctly identify the parts. Better lighting would really help.
If you think you could do it better, then why don't you create a professional video for everyone to view? You could then make sure the lighting was better, the items were labeled correctly, etc..

geez, someone tries to help out and gets slammed for it.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:56 PM
MINIGolfer1
3rd Gear
Aaron - I think the video should be pulled from this web site, since it isn't of professional quality and up to some peoples standards.

Just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:42 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIGolfer1
If you think you could do it better, then why don't you create a professional video for everyone to view? You could then make sure the lighting was better, the items were labeled correctly, etc..

geez, someone tries to help out and gets slammed for it.
Aaahhhh, the written word. How misunderstood it can be ...
You did make me laugh a bit with this post this morning, so thanks for that.

BUT, I truly wasn't trying to slam anyone here. Try and read my post again, but with the understanding that it was written more as 'friendlier' response, not a slamming one.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:51 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Golfer,

That was my first gut reaction, but you have to learn to expect that from NAM. There are lots of MINI enthusiasts here and they all have varying needs for perfection. I didn't want to make the definitive resource for rear swaybar installs... I just wanted to help someone and make a tool available that might save someone some frustration like I first felt. Not everyone understands that sometimes a rough tool is better than no tool...

It only took the video shoot time, which I would have spent out in the garage anyway, and 3 hours of editing, mocking up photos and creating the instruction screens. If I were charging for the video, I'd try again... It's free, so I'll leave it up... you get what you pay for. For an un-planned, spur of the moment project, I'm pretty happy w/ the results.

There have been lots of positive comments, PMs and even the one not-so-positive comment applauded the effort.

For any serious MINI mechanics out there, I think that a DIY MINI Mod video on DVD would sell like hot-cakes! Put together a video of oil changes, brake pad swaps, swaybar installs, etc... and sell it like OctaneGuy's detaining DVD! I'd buy one (or even better, I'd thank you here for sending me the first copy because I gave you the idea )

Old 06-24-2006, 04:52 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Whoa... cross-post deja vu!

Old 06-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Dropping the rear subframe
When I did mine on my '03 MC, I removed the left hand bolts and then loosened the right hand ones sufficiently to slide out the bar half way. Then I reinserted the left bolts and remived the right hand ones to complete the removal; this way you do not drop the subframe entirely and it remains positioned for lifting and retightening.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
PS
Obviously you follow the same procedure reversed to get the new bar in. This procedure really helps if you are working solo.

Also I did not have to remove the right shock tower to complete the process - only the left where I started pushing it out (on an MC - S may be more difficult).

Quick Reply: Suspension VIDEO How-To: Rear Swaybar Install