Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension KW Coilovers and Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
MiniChik
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KW Coilovers and Sway Bar

My friend may get me a set of the KW Coilover Variant 2 and the Anti-Sway Bar kit for my MINI. I was wondering if anyone else was using these parts and if they liked them. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Dab
1st Gear
Im using this setup and like it alot. I have the rear HSport Comp swaybar set to middle. The shocks are set to 2 turns out from full stiff and it gives a firm but nice ride. I tried 1.5 turns in the rear and it was too bouncy. I have had them for 3 months. I have played with ride height, alignment, and shock settings and am getting it close to were I like it. I do Solo2 racing and find them help if you know how to play with them. There is a learning curve but thats half the fun. I think coilovers are best for those who are going to spend the time to set them up and gain the experience. It took me a lot of reading and tinkering to understand how to adjust them and how it will effect the handling.
daniel

Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dab
I do Solo2 racing and find them help if you know how to play with them. There is a learning curve but thats half the fun. I think coilovers are best for those who are going to spend the time to set them up and gain the experience. It took me a lot of reading and tinkering to understand how to adjust them and how it will effect the handling.
daniel
Agree, I started with the V1's, then later, upgraded to the KW Competition 2 Ways. I may never have made the upgrade if I had started with the V2's but I've been very happy with both sets. I've been autocrossing a long time and these are the best coilovers I've ever had or even ridden in a car with coilovers on it.

As to sway bars, I don't know that I'd recommend starting with one of the stiffest bars on the market, unless you have performance driving experience or the bar has an exceptional adjustment range, like the Webb Extreme bar. If you don't get the Webb bar I'd look for something in a solid 19-21 mm, with three adjustment positions.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:54 PM
MiniChik
4th Gear
Thanks for the info! I'll look into the sway bar specs.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Logitex
1st Gear
I have KW v2's with the alta 22 mm swaybar, rides great and handles like its on rails.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:14 PM
oldschool
3rd Gear
KW Variant 1s, madness 22mm sway bar set soft, Ireland Fixed Camber plates—perfect!

Great for the daily commute and track days ... no adjustments.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know about KW coilovers, but a rear swaybar is definitively a MUST!

I've got mine (Ultrik heavyduty fully adjustable 19mm) 1 month ago and I must say : Why did I wait so long to get this part!?!

I've had H&R springs for 3 years, and thought it made a MINI handle a lot better, but a rear swaybar makes things a LOT better!

Bottom line : Get a rear swaybar ASAP and enjoy your MINI. The car handles like a dream.