Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension grease gun help

Old 02-03-2005, 10:47 PM
andrew_py_ng
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grease gun help

Hi all, I'm trying to lube my rear sway bar with a grease gun. The sway bar bushing has a grease fitting and the grease gun is one of those mini grease gun I got from home depot. Anyway for some reason I couldn't pump the grease into the grease fitting, instead the grease came out around the fitting. Anyway I'm wondering it is due to one of the following
- The grease fitting and the grease gun doesn't match
- I did not fit the gun properly to the fitting
- The grease gun is not powerful enough
- the grease fitting is clogged

Could someone with grease gun experience offer some help? Thanks alot.

Andrew

Old 02-26-2005, 03:06 PM
minifinn
4th Gear
I just installed the H-sport comp swaybar on my MCS. During install I observed that the new bushings had the molded hole plugged where it matched up with the grease nipple on the bracket. I opened this hole up prior to installation so the grease should flow into the interior bushing grooves against the bar. I assume if the hole is plugged the way it was molded on mine, the grease would have no where to go as there is no grease channels or grooves on the outside of the bushing. Just a guess......

Old 02-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
I think you might not have the gun nozzle and grease fitting in proper alignment. You need to hold the nozzle so it is the same angle as the fitting - hard to explain but it needs to be straight on, if angled at all grease will pump out the side as it does for you. Usually if the fitting (zerk) is plugged, and you are aligned correctly, it won't leak but you won't be able to apply enough pressure to get the grease flowing. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:54 AM
andrew_py_ng
1st Gear
Thanks for the advices And minifinn got it right!!!!! After messing with the grease gun in my freezing garage for many hours I finally figured out the reason. The installer did not open up a hole to allow the grease to flow thru. I didn't realize until I broke the grease fitting into 2 pieces and was forced to remove the bushing

And I agree with Ran48 that alignment with the grease fitting is very important. The first couple times I failed because the grease gun coupler did not hook up properly. The trick that I used was to loosen up the coupler a bit and it connected easily.