Suspension Springs, struts, coilovers, sway-bars, camber plates, and all other modifications to suspension components for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Suspension New rear Control Arms vs. light leveling (Hotchkis)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:33 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New rear Control Arms vs. light leveling (Hotchkis)

Hey all,

I've got a set of 4 x adjustable control arms I'm about to install on the mini.

The car hasn't been lowered, and is never raced, but the alignment shop told me they couldn't get the camber in spec, so I went down this route instead of stock control arms. The car never even has a significant weight over the rear end, so the light leveler pretty much has nothing to do.

Nothing has been installed yet, I'm waiting for my new discs and do them all at the same time.

None of that presents any problems, my only question is this:

When going to after-market control arms, what does everyone do with the leveling linkage that's attached to the upper control arm? It's bolted on, so it's easy to remove, but do I take it off and ditch it? I know everything on the car is connected to driver info. center and warning lights, so I don't want to upset anything or trigger a permanent warning code/light. Can the linkage just be zip-tied onto the new (round!) control arm?

Thanks in advance,
JC

Attached Thumbnails New rear Control Arms vs. light leveling (Hotchkis)-rear-control-arms.jpg  
Old 04-18-2018, 05:04 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Hotchkis/H-sport offers a small L bracket that secures with a wire tie, so I would think you could do the same with the factory bracket as long as there aren't any clearance issues. I would stick it in place with some good foam tape so it doesn't slip, then wire tie it in place. You can see the bracket and wire tie in the upper left of the pic here:

http://www.hotchkis.net/product/02-0...rt-suspension/

Here's another option from a guy who makes his own control arms. I'm not sure what the other u-shaped bracket does, but it might hit your lower control arm if it's thicker than the one he sells.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-L...QAAMXQXQxRZW4Y

The following users liked this post:
notthemaniusedtobe (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:13 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
I would stick it in place with some good foam tape so it doesn't slip, then wire tie it in place
Bingo! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear (read). I'll take good care when positioning it to try and ensure it's the same height off the ground as stock to avoid any light aim issues.

Thank you Sir!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:37 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Yeah the 4pc Hsport sets have the bracket you zip tie to the top arm and then reinstall the level sensor. Don't have to worry if you only replace the bottom ones.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/h-spor...lower-set.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 04-18-2018, 09:04 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
You only need to change the lower arms to get the camber adjustment, you could leave the uppers stock.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 PM
notthemaniusedtobe
1st Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
You only need to change the lower arms to get the camber adjustment, you could leave the uppers stock.
That crossed by mind, but I've already bought the 2 pairs, and well.. they just look.... sexy!

It's my SO's car, and she likes them, so I I'll probably just go ahead and use 'em.